Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 OEM Sport Exhaust Mod.....Anyone Done This, or Bad Idea?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Here comes ARvX calling something ghetto again.
ARvX, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about on this topic.
I have personally seen the exhaust setup by AWE in person. It is virtually identical to my setup, without the X pipe.
So if buying a catback (with tons of profit margin) from a reputed exhaust company that is identical to a custom setup makes you feel better, do that ****.
Stop coming on here trying to spread your will on others like you're the indisputable Messiah of AudiWorld.
Also, nobody cares if you're a mechanical engineer (assuming that you actually are). This is the internet, where "anybody can be who they say they are." Even if you are, that does not make you right in this topic and everyone else wrong.
I can just imagine the type of person you are with these loose "ghetto" comments you're so privy about.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

See above post, been there, done that, speaking from experience not being a keyboard warrior. Deleting resonators is a terrible idea.

Also, If you think I would lie about being an engineer that's pretty funny. As if engineer is some rare and prestigious profession. It does mean I know more about exhaust design than you though.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
You have literally no idea how exhausts work, basically everything you said in this post is wrong, but let me pick a few and tell you why.

I'm a mechanical engineer who concentrated on fluid dynamics and thermo inside of closed systems, and a car enthusiast of many years.

The Exhaust already has an X-pipe in the middle (Edit: now seeing this is the hemholtz you were describing, point still stands). You are cutting out and X-pipe to add a different looking x-pipe. Improving tone is subjective, so leave it be for now. The best that ca be said is different X-pipe placement and design will change tone. not necessarily for the better

Yes, resonators quiet the exhaust, but not the way you are describing. Different frequencies resonate at different points in the exhaust length and different resonators and muffles cancel different frequencies. The frequencies and magnitude of the sound changes under different flow conditions.

The most common and likely thing that happens on cars when you delete the center resonators is that the exhaust gets louder, but only in a small range of frequencies and ususally in DRONE when highway driving.

Futhermore, the rear mufflers are only designed to work in tandem with the center resonators, once you remove those resonators and/or change piping layout the rear mufflers need to be changed to to compensate for this. If designing a louder better exhaust was as easy as cutting some stuff out in the middle and re-piping then ALL the exhaust manufacturers would do it. IT's not easy for them to create these valved exhausts and it takes a lot of R&D

I dont think it's ghetto, I know it's ghetto and the results are subpar at best, infuriatingly bad at worst. I cut the resonators out of my V10 S6, sounded like ****. I cut the resonator out of my Golf R (with and without a downpipe) sounded like ****.

Cheap fixes get **** results. full stop.

The very fact that you call it a dead end pipe tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

That "dead end pipe" is a Hemholtz resonator, its used because it is the single most effective way to cancel out DRONE without affecting exhaust flow. That's right! this piece does not restrict exhaust flow at all.

Aynway, since you were so nice to me in your response, I'll continue to point out how wrong you are as you proceed to f*ck up the stock exhaust on your RS5 in pursuit of saving some money.
Well, this type of information in your initial response without the %^$#%^# may have yielded a different response Mr. Iamn Engineer. Anyway, glad you knew that was a Hemholtz,
because all I could see in the pictures or from the side of the car on the floor was a terminating pipe. However, Mr. NooneElse KnowsAnything, more research from others who
have done this very thing I am attempting yielded these results.........they weren't fully designed and verified by an Engineer, but if you think this sounds ghetto, you're foolish.
They sound pretty good to me utilizing the OEM Audi exhaust.

1st Example:
& This other RS5 done by them as well
2nd Example:

If you're an Engineer, I hope you're a good one, because you won't have much of a career in anything requiring social skills. However, given the fact that you know so much
about fluid dynamics and exhaust, but screwed up 2x, gives me no confidence in your knowledge on design. Given your track record, I think I value BreedsAs' experience and
those of the people in the 5 videos I've referenced over your "professional opinion".

Thanks for adding such color to my technical request for advice, now be gone.
The following users liked this post:
montgomerie94 (11-02-2023)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Raspy, unrefined and definitely drones (but they don't show you that part) the very definition of a ghetto mod (done on a low budget with generic available parts e.g. duct tape, steel tubing, magnaflow generic exhaust parts).

Edit: also seems like there is an issue with understanding - This is a ghetto mod in nature, it doesn't make the car sound ghetto, it makes the car sound bad.

Your definition of sounds good is pretty backwards. Seems that you only value volume.

Let's not talk about careers or social skills or anything really beyond what the topic of the forum/thread is because I wouldn't want to make you feel sorry for yourself. I started out civil enough, but you instigated any rude language being used.

Last edited by ArvX147; 06-21-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Raspy, unrefined and definitely drones (but they don't show you that part) the very definition of a ghetto mod (done on a low budget with generic available parts e.g. duct tape, steel tubing, magnaflow generic exhaust parts).
Your definition of sounds good is pretty backwards. Seems that you only value volume.
Let's not talk about careers or social skills or anything really beyond what the topic of the forum/thread is because I wouldn't want to make you feel sorry for yourself. I started out civil enough, but you instigated any rude language being used.
Buddy, I'm from Texas and you're from Boston, and I'm in quite a good position where you could not make me feel sorry for myself. I'm not intimidated by people who think they are more than they really are.
You were quite bold and full of yourself in your initial post #8, so don't pretend like you started off "civil" or cordial. I've heard people from the Northeast are typically rude, and you just fed into that stereotype.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghetto modding an 80-90k car with what appears to be a very limited understanding of how exhausts work or are designed. I'm gonna go ahead and tell you to cut it out.
Yes. You started very civilly. Ha!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
Buddy, I'm from Texas and you're from Boston, and I'm in quite a good position where you could not make me feel sorry for myself. I'm not intimidated by people who think they are more than they really are.
You were quite bold and full of yourself in your initial post #8, so don't pretend like you started off "civil" or cordial. I've heard people from the Northeast are typically rude, and you just fed into that stereotype.
The title of the thread: RS5 OEM Sport Exhaust Mod.....Anyone Done This, or Bad Idea?

I gave the answer that I had, based on my experience doing this exact type of modding. First hand experience is key because 1) youtube videos have a very hard time capturing true exhaust sound and 2) Most people posting these videos or who actually do these mods have rationalized it as a good idea and having good sound because it was cheap. Its really hard psychologically to separate the benefit of "saving' alot of money from the downsides. I was one of those people in the past, but as the gleam of saving the cash wore off, I grew tired of and annoyed by the flaws in the approach. It sounds bad, but hey its louder I guess?

The reasons I posted above are the rational ones why cutting out resonators is sub-optimal at best, disastrous at worst.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

The title of the thread: RS5 OEM Sport Exhaust Mod.....Anyone Done This, or Bad Idea?

I gave the answer that I had, based on my experience doing this exact type of modding. First hand experience is key because 1) youtube videos have a very hard time capturing true exhaust sound and 2) Most people posting these videos or who actually do these mods have rationalized it as a good idea and having good sound because it was cheap. Its really hard psychologically to separate the benefit of "saving' alot of money from the downsides. I was one of those people in the past, but as the gleam of saving the cash wore off, i grew tired of and annoyed by the flaws in the approach.

The reasons I posted above are the rational ones why cutting out resonators is sub-optimal at best, disastrous at worst.
OK, thanks. I respect your opinion, and appreciate some of the technical information you have provided.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

The removal of factory resonators and/or mufflers does not automatically classify an exhaust modification as unrefined, or ghetto in the terms of ARvX.
Magnaflow is also not a "ghetto" or budget company by any means. They're way bigger than all the Audi targeted exhaust companies (like AWE or Milltek) any which way you try to look at it.
I happen to know many people who build their own computers. All the way from scratch. That does not mean they are ghetto in comparison to heavily priced Asus or Apple desktops, it just means the builder decided they wanted something more bespoke, without all the mark-up. Simple as that. Same thing goes for custom built caskets, homes, jewelry, etc.
Your argument has absolutely no weight though as all you have is the factory exhaust with nothing to compare it to. So I don't know how the hell you are even deeming anything as ghetto.
People like me, who actually dig into their S5 and customize it with an open mind, can see so many places where Audi cut corners. So yeah it is a $60k+ car, but even Audi is trying to make their $ go further, just like we are. Just like anybody with a financial mindset is.
For example, Audi put a 5" paper speaker enclosed in a plastic housing in the area where the spare tire and battery is, used the amplifiers internal crossover to push it low signals, then called it a subwoofer of a premium Bang and Olusfen system.
Compare that to my custom setup consisting of an Alpine mono channel amplifier, a slim dual voice coil JL Audio subwoofer, and a custom fabricated enclosure finished in real alcantara, a one off baffle, and an Audi S5 badge to finish it off.
Now, for anyone who read this post, which classifies as the lower end setup (ghetto in the diction on ARvX)?

My Setup:

Old 06-22-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How is a speaker system in any way comparable to an exhaust? I dont think your speaker setup is ghetto at all... looks oem+

Magnaflow is absolutely LOW end exhaust parts, bottom of the barrell. They make every cheap exhaust part in the world out of very low quality steel that rusts and all the worst ceramic catalytic converters you can buy (they dont work well enough to prevent a rich CEL) . Again speaking from experience with the products, not speculation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS5 OEM Sport Exhaust Mod.....Anyone Done This, or Bad Idea?