Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 OEM Sport Exhaust Mod.....Anyone Done This, or Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I only brought the audio equipment into the discussion because it seems that you are of the opinion that any aftermarket customization are "distasteful" and ruining a perfectly engineered car by Audi.
Stainless steel is stainless steel. It is corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof. If you would like, I can take a picture of the OEM stainless exhaust parts that were cut out (I have them all) and send them to you so you can see some corrosion and discoloring after just 8k miles in Texas weather.
A rich CEL from their cats is more than likely because they flow better than the OEM restrictive counterparts. The car recognizes it as a fault because the discrepancy between the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors throws the cars diagnostics out of wack. I am sure disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes will solve that. Or the code being cleared with a scan tool would be a quicker alternative.
My main point is that the customization or modification of a factory car does not mean that it was ruined. It just means that the owner wants to individualize their car.
Also, not dishing out $2k for an exhaust that can be fabricated on your own is not being cheap or ghetto. The owner is just choosing to make their money go further. Not to say AWE is overpriced, but they have company overhead (engineering, payroll/taxes, bulk raw materials) to pay so they have to charge more to make a desirable profit. I chose to go around that profit margin and I can guarantee that my exhaust sounds equal (if not better) than their Track exhaust as I at least have mufflers in place to "tune" the sound.
FYI, their track series catback for the B9 Audi cars is literally straight pipe. No resonators, no mufflers. Just stainless steel mandrel bent pipe and quad exhaust tips for $1.7k starting. That is a lot of money for that by any standards. They have to make their money though so I understand.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here you go Willie. Picture of the OEM resonator. Just a straight through design. Removal and replacement with straight pipe will result in just a tad more sound.

ARvX, pics of portions of the exhaust for your viewing.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BreedsAs,
Thanks for sharing those! That's exactly what I was trying to confirm. So, going by what I see in the pics, it makes me think that those OEM straight-through resonators
being so big around, have deep packing to kill the sound around the perf. pipe and I may be able to improve & increase the sound of the OEM exhaust without adding
LOUD drone while cruising the highway by:

1. Replacing the 2 OEM front res's with a pair of Dynomax SS Race Series Bullets like these...Dynomax Race Series Bullets in SS Part #24246 for about $250 installed.

2. Then immediately following that up by having the shop install a Y-transition like this FlowMaster (2)2.5" to (1)3.5" Transition (except in Stainless) or this Y-Pipe SS , cutting
off the merging section with the OEM Helmholtz resonator like Supersprint did in their new setup coming for the RS5 SB(see pic below) for about $100.

3. Then finally replacing the Center muffler with one of these Dynomax Race Series Mini Bullet #24251 for about $75.

Hoping that by replacing components with components instead of pipe alone, I can achieve a louder, deeper exhaust note without loud drone at highway cruising speeds for about $500.
Can't wait to hear those soundclips of yours. I've been thinking about this since you posted the pics of your setup installed! Thanks again!

You can see the Supersprint Center section without the Center muffler, and their entire system, >>>> here <<<< on their webpage currently being developed for the RS5 Sportback.
Beautiful components but quite EXPENSIVE! I listened to the video of the Capristo system out for the 2017+ RS5 and wasn't impressed at all. LOUD, but very tinny and high pitched!
I would feel cheated after paying that much money for a Capristo system. Sounded like an overly-modded Honda Civic with a glass-pack for a muffler! Sounded bad IMO.......
Check it out here......
Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sounds like a good plan Willie. I recommend replacing the factory resonators with straight pipe though because the volume difference it will give you will be very minimal (if any at all) if you replace it with another resonators.
The best enhancement you will get will be with replacing the center muffler with the Dynomax bullets.
My setup is very similar to the one you linked, except my rear mufflers are almost 2x that size. Leaves a nice deep note, without the tin effect of the YouTube Capristo exhaust you em embedded.
​​​​​
Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
That sounds like a good plan Willie. I recommend replacing the factory resonators with straight pipe though because the volume difference it will give you will be very minimal (if any at all) if you replace it with another resonators.
The best enhancement you will get will be with replacing the center muffler with the Dynomax bullets.
My setup is very similar to the one you linked, except my rear mufflers are almost 2x that size. Leaves a nice deep note, without the tin effect of the YouTube Capristo exhaust you em embedded.
​​​​​
BreedsAs,
Got ya. Thanks for the advice. I’ll start out with that Center muffler then see how it goes from there. Thanks for all your insight!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by WillieFlo

BreedsAs,
Got ya. Thanks for the advice. I’ll start out with that Center muffler then see how it goes from there. Thanks for all your insight!
No problem Willie!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Would love to hear it once it’s done. I do like the idea of having the OEM exhaust modified to get a bit more sound and no drone. It’s just hard to get that. The Supersprint units are always nice. They just have a minimal gain in exhaust nite compared to OEM. I had one in an old BMW of mine, and felt cheated paying that kind of money to get a slight increase in volume. It’s hard to find that happy medium.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NJSRT
Would love to hear it once it’s done. I do like the idea of having the OEM exhaust modified to get a bit more sound and no drone. It’s just hard to get that. The Supersprint units are always nice. They just have a minimal gain in exhaust nite compared to OEM. I had one in an old BMW of mine, and felt cheated paying that kind of money to get a slight increase in volume. It’s hard to find that happy medium.
Will do NJSRT. That’s what I’m trying to avoid.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do this to your car? AR is deffinetlity correct in that it doesn’t no really change the sound and just makes it drone more. I had the center res delete on my b9 rs5 and it was a total waste of money. The first two videos you posted were of a full exhaust system... hence how it says “Sportauspuff”... the third video w the guy who claims there’s a lot more “pops n crackles” is an idiot. All they did was put his car into dynamic and revved it after the removal... if you start your car in sport dynamic.. the valves are still closed. Switch the mode back into dynamic again and you’ll hear them open. The resonator delete Is a compete waste of money and now I’m going to be buying a catback from milltek anyway. If you let some guy chop up ur factory exhaust to save some money you will regret it.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
Well, this type of information in your initial response without the %^$#%^# may have yielded a different response Mr. Iamn Engineer. Anyway, glad you knew that was a Hemholtz,
because all I could see in the pictures or from the side of the car on the floor was a terminating pipe. However, Mr. NooneElse KnowsAnything, more research from others who
have done this very thing I am attempting yielded these results.........they weren't fully designed and verified by an Engineer, but if you think this sounds ghetto, you're foolish.
They sound pretty good to me utilizing the OEM Audi exhaust.

1st Example: ASG Sound OEM Sport Exhaust Modification
& This other RS5 done by them as well ASG Sound Video #2
2nd Example: 2017 RS5 Front and Center Resonator Delete - Before & After

If you're an Engineer, I hope you're a good one, because you won't have much of a career in anything requiring social skills. However, given the fact that you know so much
about fluid dynamics and exhaust, but screwed up 2x, gives me no confidence in your knowledge on design. Given your track record, I think I value BreedsAs' experience and
those of the people in the 5 videos I've referenced over your "professional opinion".

Thanks for adding such color to my technical request for advice, now be gone.

The first video you cleverly labeled “asg oem sports modification” is not that at all... asg is an exhaust company in Germany and the caption of the video states “B9 has installed a modified exhaust system from the company asg-sound from Gummersbach”.

the second video is also an aftermarket exhaust by asg.

Only the 3rd video you posted is of a doofus who cut his resonator out

Quick Reply: RS5 OEM Sport Exhaust Mod.....Anyone Done This, or Bad Idea?