Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 review: "...but the response was a little bit delayed..."

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Been driving Audi's since my 1980 5000T, and 10 more between that and the current '18 S5, including a '12 S5 and a '13 RS5. And now an '18 RS5 to be built first week of June. I'm kinda with Chris. Here in fly over country it is doubtful I will ever see another RS5, maybe if I get to MSP, but not around here. That is worth something to me, even if it seems snobbish. I also like driving and commute to MN lake country quite often and these coupes are great cruisers. Three "officers" that stopped me in the RS5 in MT and MN over the years always said as they handed me the ticket, "Nice car".
Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
There are plenty of cars out there that, for the majority of driving time, will get no where near the full capabilities of the machine. I'd venture that even the S models fall into that category, let alone RS or R.

But in the world of irrational cars: if all else was equal, I'd still choose the RS5 over the BMW or Merc competitors because *I* think the Audi looks better. Of course, then adding in Quattro to the calculus ...

When looking for my next car I narrowed it down to either Audi or BMW (for many, many reasons) and after driving an M3, M4 and S5 SB, I chose the Audi as I thought it was more in line with what I wanted to drive - I found the fit and finish was more to my liking - and the owners of Audi seemed much happier with their cars, their sales & servicing dealers and their overall car eexperiences.

As I live in a pretty congested area where the local LEO’s can and do run radar and I don’t get on a track with my car the S5 was a great fit. Would I like the RS5 - if it wasn’t a $20K premium - possibly. But I can think of a few things that I would rather do with that $20K. I will never knock someone who buys an RS5 nor any other car. As I have gotten older and somewhat wiser, I try to live and let live.

But it quite honestly, I would have to stifle a smile if I encountered the A5 Batmobile - but if that person is happy, so be it!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default beautiful country...

Originally Posted by mhblaw
I also like driving and commute to MN lake country quite often and these coupes are great cruisers. Three "officers" that stopped me in the RS5 in MT and MN over the years always said as they handed me the ticket, "Nice car".
The trouble here in Ontario is the insurance companies: they're mad at the government for limiting rates and taking it out on drivers. I used to go north of North Bay (4 hours) to really let the M3 or bike go, but these days one accident and a ticket or two in two or three years and you find yourself in the high risk insurance pool.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
There are plenty of cars out there that, for the majority of driving time, will get no where near the full capabilities of the machine. I'd venture that even the S models fall into that category, let alone RS or R.

But in the world of irrational cars: if all else was equal, I'd still choose the RS5 over the BMW or Merc competitors because *I* think the Audi looks better. Of course, then adding in Quattro to the calculus ...
That's certainly true and I'm not much interested in those cars. An irrational car for me still has to be an experience that I look forward to having every day. I've been stuck in an A5 SB for the last 3.5 weeks. My 2013 RS5 originally went in the shop to replace the drive position sensor. While in the shop some moron scratched the front fender, so it had to go to the body shop, and then once they had taken the transmission apart, they found a cracked clutch cover. We are now waiting for a new clutch cover from Germany. The moral of the story is, I can't wait to get my car back. I'm bored out of my mind in this A5. It's not the performance really. The car is pretty zippy in every day driving, but it's just such a dull experience.

Compared to its current competitors, I'm kinda with you. The new RS5 still has me interested somewhat. Its competitors don't check all my boxes, either. Quattro is a big reason. Even BWM M and AMG have now realized that a rear biased AWD drivetrain is the way to go in these kinds of cars, unfortunately that hasn't trickled down to this segment yet. I'm very intrigued by the new M5 and the E63.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-23-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi should feel (partially) vindicatd...

Originally Posted by superswiss
Compared to its current competitors, I'm kinda with you. The new RS5 still has me interested somewhat. Its competitors don't check all my boxes, either. Quattro is a big reason. Even BWM M and AMG have now realized that a rear biased AWD drivetrain is the way to go in these kinds of cars, unfortunately that hasn't trickled down to this segment yet. I'm very intrigued by the new M5 and the E63.
It seems to me that the new M340i (due to be launched at the Paris show) and the current C43 are a direct answer to the S4/S5 and one expects that the upcoming G80/G82 M3/M4 will be smaller and lighter versions of the M5. My money is on BMW to get it right in terms of bringing back the sports car feel which appears to be the missing ingredient.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

I think it's important to look at the RS 5 and its competitors for what they are. The M4 is great for track purposes. The C63 is a muscle car. The RS 5 is a grand tourer. The goal of the RS 5 was to take the ability to go to the track, hit the canyon roads, have amazing acceleration, and combine it with everyday usability and comfort. If you had to choose a car to live with every day, the RS 5 is the clear choice, as the other cars beat you up a little bit. If you go to buy an RS 5 and think it's a track toy, then you will be disappointed (go for a TT RS). If you want to do big smokey burnouts like you can with a C63 and you choose the RS 5, then you will be disappointed. It's all about understanding the purpose of the vehicle, and I think that was well reflected in the US automotive media reviews: 2018 Audi RS 5 Coupe U.S. Spec First Drive Review | Automobile Magazine
Old 05-23-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
I think it's important to look at the RS 5 and its competitors for what they are. The M4 is great for track purposes. The C63 is a muscle car. The RS 5 is a grand tourer. The goal of the RS 5 was to take the ability to go to the track, hit the canyon roads, have amazing acceleration, and combine it with everyday usability and comfort. If you had to choose a car to live with every day, the RS 5 is the clear choice, as the other cars beat you up a little bit. If you go to buy an RS 5 and think it's a track toy, then you will be disappointed (go for a TT RS). If you want to do big smokey burnouts like you can with a C63 and you choose the RS 5, then you will be disappointed. It's all about understanding the purpose of the vehicle, and I think that was well reflected in the US automotive media reviews: 2018 Audi RS 5 Coupe U.S. Spec First Drive Review Automobile Magazine
So goes the theory. However, I have driven all these cars and they are all GTs. The old RS5 is also a GT. A very good GT at that. The one missing ingredient in the USA was the lack of an adaptive suspension, so you could argue that the fixed RS suspension beats you up a bit more, however it was available with an adaptive suspension in other parts of the world and having lived with it personally for over 5 years now, it's an excellent GT. My favorite road trip car so far. The suspension, even though is fixed does not beat me up on long trips at all. The C63 is also a GT. In comfort mode it's an equally purring cat. The coupe is actually even more comfortable than the sedan. AMG deliberately made the coupe to be more comfortable in comfort mode to not compromise the GT aspect. The M4 while the best track weapon of the bunch is still a very comfortable GT with all the systems dialed down. However, if you look at the old RS5 and the C63 if you turn them up, they are a beast providing all the sensory experience of a supercar, but you can quiet it all down if you just wanna cross the continent in comfort. The old RS5 was not lacking in the GT department. That's the part I have a hard time understanding with the new positioning of the new RS5. You could argue it was lacking in the driving dynamics department given the weight and such, but I don't think anyone ever criticized it for not being GT enough.

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
It seems to me that the new M340i (due to be launched at the Paris show) and the current C43 are a direct answer to the S4/S5 and one expects that the upcoming G80/G82 M3/M4 will be smaller and lighter versions of the M5. My money is on BMW to get it right in terms of bringing back the sports car feel which appears to be the missing ingredient.
Totally agree. The current head of BMW M is the former head of Quattro Gmbh. Looking at what's happened with the M5, I get the feeling that he is doing at BMW M, what he couldn't do at Quattro Gmbh/Audi Sport. I have a feeling that Audi management wanted to go a different direction with the RS models.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-23-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having driven a NASCAR stock car a few times as well as a shifter Kart, I'm not looking to do that kind of driving on public roads,
but I personally find value in buying my RS5 Sportback(when it's released) because I know it is a great platform and canvas to start with;
and know, that just like every other vehicle I've ever owned, I will be modifying it.

The RS5 is a base line to improve on by changing an exhaust, to a lighter wheel/tire setup, and eventually tuning the engine to push
the RS5 well over 500 hp with more boost like others at ABT and Manhart have done already, and remove the limiter. After doing that,
then I just may take it to a drag strip and show those other guys with AMG and BMW M on their tails where to stick it.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the little bit we do know superswiss...

Originally Posted by superswiss
Totally agree. The current head of BMW M is the former head of Quattro Gmbh. Looking at what's happened with the M5, I get the feeling that he is doing at BMW M, what he couldn't do at Quattro Gmbh/Audi Sport. I have a feeling that Audi management wanted to go a different direction with the RS models.
BMW had fallen behind, owned up to it and decided to make changes. Audi is currently on a roll, and to my mind both the S5s and RS5s reflect a bit of a "parts bin" philosophy with the serious R&D going to the A6, A7 and A8.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
BMW had fallen behind, owned up to it and decided to make changes. Audi is currently on a roll, and to my mind both the S5s and RS5s reflect a bit of a "parts bin" philosophy with the serious R&D going to the A6, A7 and A8.
I think the new BMW M5 is a very capable car and has great performance numbers, but it just doesn't seem to have as sporty of an appeal as it used to.....looks more luxury than sport....

Quick Reply: RS5 review: "...but the response was a little bit delayed..."