Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 SB new wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
I agree, they do seem exaggerated or over styled, as in, too much wheel!
Don't disagree although I like these better than the ones on my 2018 RS5. If they came in an 18 or 19 inch option, would be more palatable & practical.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The ultra-low profile tires probably offer handling improvements. If the tires lasted longer than the duration between two oil changes, maybe that would be a good thing.

But the reality of short tread life AND being very vulnerable to pot-holes (due to their very low aspect ratios) plus a slight increase in unsprung weight and increased road noise, really means the low profile tires and extra large wheels are, in practice, "all yak and no shak" -- and I don't care how much money you have in your checkbook or how high the line is on the old Plutonium card -- these large wheels and low profile tires are for show, not go.
On the RS 5, where the 20" wheel gets you a 275 width tire compared to a 265 width tire, this is the setup for performance. The tread life is really dependent on how you drive the car. Whether it's a performance 19" tire or 20" tire, the wear will be similar.

It's true in flyover country -- that much is for certain. But, the last few times I've been to Boston, New York, and San Francisco (not flyover cities for sure), their streets and roads were pretty well pock-marked, too. Maybe these wheels are for Germans who may be more likely to have super smooth ribbons of highways stretching hundreds of KMs. Audi (of America) needs a US wheel program. If the LOOK is what they're after, why not go with optional wheels that 40 series (and suitably wide) shoes will be the ones that "fit" properly and bag the 35 and 30 series tires that have life-span shorter than the common house-fly.
The problem is people want big wheels and the look that goes along with them. If you take a 20" wheel and put a 40 series tire on it, it will look like an SUV setup and not one for a performance car.

I'd pay EXTRA for an 18" wheel that matched the appearance of the optional 19" wheel on my 2018 S4. And, I'm sure my wife would have paid for the look of the 21" wheel but in the 20" size of the OEM SQ5 Prestige wheel. If the goal is financial, this approach would surely serve that purpose. If the goal of the larger wheels is ONLY for performance, well that is another matter but Audi of America needs to survey its owners who probably want "purty wheels" but just are fed up with paying and paying and paying for bent wheels, blown tires and all-wheel alignments over and over.
If a smaller wheel could look as good as a larger wheel, then no one would need larger wheels. The fact is this just isn't possible - big wheels look good because they are big.

I went into my dealer last Saturday and I noticed they actually were stocking SQ5s without the 21" wheels -- you know the reasons they gave for not having ordered these wheels for their inventory. The reason my rep gives is "I want repeat customers -- you quickly sour your customers on the brand when they realize they'll be spending thousands on the tires, wheels, alignments that will be associated with the +sized wheels." Customers would like the "fancy" wheels and would pay for them -- they just hate getting new tires everytime the car's birthday comes around.
It's also that people want an SQ5 with all-season tires, so they have to get the 20" setup. There are also two 20" wheel options for the SQ5 now that there is a Black optic package for MY19, so there are plenty of choices for a "smaller" wheel.

Too bad no one from Audi reads these things.
I'm sure they have data and feedback from customers and dealerships that guide their decision making for each new model and the model year changes.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone happen to know the weight of the 20” that come with the BO package?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Not a fan. Give me a simple symmetrical design that doesn't draw your eyes to it. I do wish Audi had a broader range of options to choose from when selecting wheels, at least on the customer ordered cars. Doesn't seem like that would be to big an ask, just contract out with a well know reputable wheel manufacturer and offer some of their standard design options. They wouldn't need to maintain a stock - just pass through the order whenever the build sheet hits the computers.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Not a fan. Give me a simple symmetrical design that doesn't draw your eyes to it. I do wish Audi had a broader range of options to choose from when selecting wheels, at least on the customer ordered cars. Doesn't seem like that would be to big an ask, just contract out with a well know reputable wheel manufacturer and offer some of their standard design options. They wouldn't need to maintain a stock - just pass through the order whenever the build sheet hits the computers.

i don’t like them either in fact I’m still kinda mad that to get the BO package you had to get the wheels. I’m going aftermarket bu want the reference to the OEM wheel weight so I don’t get anything heavier. I saw in another forum a reference to 34lbs but don’t know if that was for the 20’s.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tbone323
Anyone happen to know the weight of the 20” that come with the BO package?
They are about 27.5 pounds.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
thanks for the info!
Old 11-25-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
As someone that never really thought about the weight of wheels, is that good, bad or about average for this size wheel?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heymoe
As someone that never really thought about the weight of wheels, is that good, bad or about average for this size wheel?
For the size of the wheel with factory quality and durability, that is a very good weight. The milled 20" wheel is about a pound less per wheel.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
Agreed 100% re low profile tires & 20s. We didn't have a choice with our 2018 R5s. I'm thinking of going to 19 inch All-Season tires once I use up the OEM Continentals. Will have to do a search for proper aftermarket wheels. I'm shocked at being able to put almost 5000 miles on mine and no curb rash yet. Our midwest roads are not the best, and I've cringed going through construction zones, but so far, the protective rubber rim has saved the wheels. Really would have liked the option of 18s or 19s as OEM....
Wheel size aside, you will be doing a monumental disservice putting A/S tires on a car like an RS5... Even the best all seasons on the market are a compromise in every measurable way compared to summer tires, except in the case of living somewhere where the temperatures regularly dip toward the 40s and below, in which case A/S tires are a compromise in every measurable way to winter tires. Marketing will have you believe they are great in a wider range of fluctuating temperatures, but in reality, they will be terrible in all conditions, especially assuming you ever unleash any of the potential a car of this caliber is capable of.

Not to mention the loss in safety with longer braking distances in all conditions (We're talking like 8-16 ft longer stopping distances... That's the difference between slamming your brakes and laughing because the RS5 stops so well, and crying because you smashed your 90k car into the back of a truck). And remember that summer tires are going to be better in the wet than A/S AND winter, assuming operating and ambient temperature aren't in the lows.

I know I'm just some guy you don't know, but if you take my advice, highly advise you stick to either SPT or WPT contingent on the winter temperatures in your location.

Quick Reply: RS5 SB new wheel.