Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Sportback first drive at C&D...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
I won't even rule out buying an M335i based on how good the G20/G80 platform promises to be. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-sedan-driven

The problem with the B9 is that it's a bit of a parts bin special and the new BMW platform will be lighter, stronger, 48V etc..
Don't understand that comment at all??
Old 08-17-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah I'm really confused, the B9 is a full intentioned redesign, that was specifically targeted at the sedan even if other cars use it too.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I don't think you have read much about the evora 400 if you think it's unreliable... But it sounds like you're a bit of a Porsche afficianado so you would diss a competitor with little knowledge of it.
I just meant that to me the evora looks more like a kit car especially in light of a 100k price tag. All the Lotus cars have toyota engines so I am sure that aspect will be reliable, just wonder about the rest. Buy whatever you like, just make sure there's enough oxygen up there on your pulpit from which you blindly judge others with no knowledge.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default it's simple Glisse...

Originally Posted by Glisse
Don't understand that comment at all??
The B9 is hardly forward looking compared with the new A6 and A7. Mostly it's an update using existing parts, most of which are very good: but the integration of the corporate 3 liter V6 with the ZF 8AT feels unfinished and the MMI is a clunky mess. It is a testament to the basic goodness of the platform and the parts that it is the best car in its class for now, but it won't be for long.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jkwb49
I just meant that to me the evora looks more like a kit car especially in light of a 100k price tag. All the Lotus cars have toyota engines so I am sure that aspect will be reliable, just wonder about the rest. Buy whatever you like, just make sure there's enough oxygen up there on your pulpit from which you blindly judge others with no knowledge.
A) that's not what you said, you said it would need it's own mechanic.

B) the only known flaws of the evora 400 that are systemic are the trunk release bug, the seats are a bit messed up with the upholstery to frame attachment, and the wiper motor is known to be noisy and needs replacement.

Otherwise, the car is using ap racing brakes, Bilstein shocks, double wishbone suspension, and a bulletproof Toyota motor (as you mentioned) so I really don't get what you think needs a mechanic. Matt Farah did 4 track days and 3k miles in one and only ever needed to adjust the tire pressure.

I still don't know if it'll be the right car for me (in person looks, and seating position, etc.) But I'm mighty impressed by what ive found in my research. Similarly inpressed with the Cayman gt4 other than the gearing, but the 718 gt4 is right around the corner so that's a bit more up in the air.

If that 4 banger didn't sound so bad I might consider a 718 Cayman/boxster s or gts, but damn is that engine note rough.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone know when the RS5 SB is expected to hit U.S. showrooms?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I won't even rule out buying an M335i based on how good the G20/G80 platform promises to be. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-sedan-driven

The problem with the B9 is that it's a bit of a parts bin special and the new BMW platform will be lighter, stronger, 48V etc..
After my 2013 M3, I left BMW. The new G platform may have me back. The interior finally looks special, and quality seems to be up.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

The B9 is hardly forward looking compared with the new A6 and A7. Mostly it's an update using existing parts, most of which are very good: but the integration of the corporate 3 liter V6 with the ZF 8AT feels unfinished and the MMI is a clunky mess. It is a testament to the basic goodness of the platform and the parts that it is the best car in its class for now, but it won't be for long.
Agreed. I'm having a lot of glitches with my 2018 S5. I have programmed my steering wheel button to change modes. There are times that I press it and it does nothing. My MMI system will restart itself when I'm using it for navigation. Very infuriating. It has never been an issue with any of my other cars.

The car still drives very well and looks amazing inside and out.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

No, the B9 was a completely new vehicle. Not an update of the B8 using existing parts. I don't know how you formed that opinion, but it is wrong.

The new A6/A7 (C8 series) is now moving to the MLB Evo platform and in the US using the same EA838 engine as the B9 S4/S5. I assume you are just referring to the new MMI system used in the D5 and now C8 series. But the real benefits of that system are Level 3 autonomous driving hardware, and that doesn't interest me so much.

As for the "best car in class", there is always a new one coming along. All we can do is make the right choice at the right time for our needs. And a good car remains a good car, even if a "better" one comes out later.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse

The RS5 Sportback should do well in the US market, and given Audi Sport are not selling any models in their biggest market until at least mid to late next year, there should be less issues than usual with allocations, etc.
Hi everyone,
this is my first post in this forum. I'm looking forward to RS5 Sportback in Europe and especially in Poland. My sales manager told me that the new RS5 SB will be on sale at the beginning of 2019 (maybe april..). Where do you get information about not selling any models of Audi Sport cars in Europe?

Quick Reply: RS5 Sportback first drive at C&D...