Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Sportback - Prices Paid & Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Ha maybe so and a decent hypothesis...I really wanted a S5 SB, but knew it would cost me way more 1) at the dealer 2) more speeding tickets AND 3) higher insurance.
I'm not sure about the insurance. The S5 will only be $120 per year more than my 2011 A4 and would have been only $90 more annually than the Accord I was considering at one point.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
To be totally transparent, when I asked them for a quote I asked for a C63S since the RS5 SB wasn't out / in their system yet but I figured the C63S would be pretty equivalent rate wise.
I would think the premiums would be similar.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In the spirit of being transparent on what I just paid for my RS5 Sportback I'm going to run down the total price I paid for my car and highlight ways you future buyers can save money. In the end, we are all car enthusiasts, and I don't mind sharing my financial experience for the good of the community. I had an RS5 on order that was scheduled to arrive around May-June 2019, and instead of waiting I went to a dealership that I have purchased from before to try and strike a deal.

MSRP: $86,255
DISCOUNT: (3%): -$2,587.85
SALES PRICE: $83,667.35
The discount of -3% is perfect for the Chicago area for an in Demand current MY. I talked to 3 dealerships, and all were only interested in doing a deal paying sticker.
Thanks to Evan I cross shopped several dealers in the Houston area and was able to secure a 6% discount, however, I was then going to have to pay to transport for my trade-in and receive the car. And let's be honest did I want to hire a non covered transportation company. Cost: $2500. Ugh.

I also was offered a 6% off in a dealership in the southeast of the United States; again I would have to transport the car, and the fees would eat into the additional 3% rebate. Cost $2500 Ugh.
FWIW: The RS5 coupes can be had for a great bargain, several dealerships are offering around $10K off. (11-12% off).

DOC FEE: $179.81 (Most states set a limit on the doc fee, for Illinois, it is $179.81. If a dealer quoted a high doc fee of over $500 then it's padding the sale. You can push back on them)
TRADE IN: $-35,000 (2017 S3 PRESTIGE)
TAXES AND TITLE FEES BASED ON NET PRICE AFTER TRADE IN: $4,191.95

SUB TOTAL: $53,039.11
DOWN PAYMENT: $-20,000 (I like having easy car payments)
REBATE:$750 (Owning an AUDI)
The amount I decided to Finance: $32,289.11
Everything above is what I consider phase one of any car deal. Wherein you haggle with the discount percent off of MSRP and your vehicle's trade-in value. As some others have stated on the forums just because you can get a 10% discount they might short your trade by several thousand dollars to make up for the trade. Financially it never makes sense to trade in your car IF you have the patience to wait and sell to a private party. Plus, it never makes sense to buy a new car. In my deal dealerships were offering anywhere between $31-$33K for my trade in. I stood my ground and received the $35K I wanted. They will retail this vehicle around $41K.

The next phase is the finance aspect (phase 2) when you meet with the "business" manager or "finance" manager. Here you haggle with interest rates and decide if you want to add any add-ons. While you can pick whatever you want to remember you will pay sales tax and pay interest if you "roll it into your monthly payment". As a rule on Audi vehicles, I decline the extras, except for Audi Care. I purchased that separately about one week after with a credit card. You can purchase this with any dealership and is assigned to your VIN. Currently, for the 2019 RS5, it is $999 and a great value!

Next, interest rates. On my deal, my credit was pulled, and it was at 863. WIth most large car brands they have their financial arm that acts as a bank which is separate from the federal reserve's prime rate. In other words, they loan money depending on financial and business objectives of their cars. For example, In Audi's case, they might see they have a glut of used certified Audi's and roll out 1.9% APR for X or Y months, even if the prime/federal rate might be 5%. This is the annoying part of the brand of Audi and their sub-brands of the S Sport and RS Racing sports models. On S cars Audi will offer attractive APR rates for excellent credit. If I were purchasing an 2019 S5 sportback I would quaify for 1.9% APR for up to 72 months. However, on the RS sub-brand Audi positions it as the premier catchet of their cars which helps dealers bring in handsome profits.
The dealership offered me 5.99% APR. Yeah, I'm not kidding. Before I was about to walk out, they offered me 4.94% through AFS(Audi Financial Services) (Retail Rate - my premium credit rating). I love AFS and have used them for my A3 TDI (0.9% APR) and my S3 (1.9%), and they are excellent. Since I was not planning on purchasing the vehicle, I had not lined up outside financing and shocked. However, thanks to Evan's help here I knew a Texas consumer union was offering 2.74%. If you are part of a credit union, you're steps ahead on the RS series as AFS will not offer anything less than the retail rates.

However, since this is phase two, it's another round of negotiations, and here a few other tactics might work.1) Agreeing to purchase the extras the Financing manager is offering assuming he lowers the retail rate through AFS to a more reasonable 1.9%. The trick is, of course, the simple interest savings don't get eaten up with any extras you pick. In my example I was going to Finance $32,289.11 with the offered rate through AFS was at first was (5.35%) and then he lowered it too (4.94%) @ 60 months the interest I would end up paying is $4217.29 throughout the loan. For a total of payments including the principal of $36,506.40. Not horrible. Wait. Yes, it is for someone with 863 credit rating. Interest on the same term with a much lower rate of (1.9%) would be $1,583.55. Some of the extras I wanted on the RS like Audi care which has a cost of $999. Now, if I can get the finance manager to lower the rate through AFS to pay for the Audi Care and still save more then, it is a win! OR I could tell him I can get a much lower rate elsewhere and see what we offer.

**update**
In the end, I received a 3.49% APR rate @ 60 months. For those of you keeping track at home that equates to $586.67/month.

Last edited by chicago_marketing; 02-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

All generally good info above except with respect to the interest rate. Audi does not offer 1.xx anything currently on any model, new or CPO. There is no reducing the rate AFS sets, since they set it on a car by car basis. They won’t rate match either. Their rates did all shift downward on most models for February, quite significantly, and putting them very much inline with the best rates offered by even credit unions and large banks. But these rates shift monthly so it can be yanked at any time by AFS. In general rates have trended upward over the last 3 years, particularly on cars.

use it well, you’re right, amazing car!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for sharing and between you and Evan looks like I should refi with a local credit union. One has already offered me 3.99% and i have good, but not Great credit. I was surprised that AFS rate for me was almost 7% but I didnt plan to keep it financed via Audi for longer than a few months anyway . I did roll the Audi care and GAP and something else into the finance, but since registering in MT, no sales tax. So it didnt hurt to do so.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
All generally good info above except with respect to the interest rate. Audi does not offer 1.xx anything currently on any model, new or CPO. There is no reducing the rate AFS sets, since they set it on a car by car basis. They won’t rate match either. Their rates did all shift downward on most models for February, quite significantly, and putting them very much inline with the best rates offered by even credit unions and large banks. But these rates shift monthly so it can be yanked at any time by AFS. In general rates have trended upward over the last 3 years, particularly on cars.

use it well, you’re right, amazing car!

1.9% APR through AFS for 24 months.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good stuff @chicago_marketing . Happy I could be of some assistance. I got a 2.74% interest rate from the credit union and the Audi said they could not beat it. It's crazy the type of financing Audi offers is based on the car you're buying. A 0.9 %or even 1.9% rate would have been amazing.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing

MSRP: $86,255
DISCOUNT: (3%): -$2,587.85
SALES PRICE: $83,667.35
The discount of -3% is perfect for the Chicago area for an in Demand current MY. I talked to 3 dealerships, and all were only interested in doing a deal paying sticker.
Thanks to Evan I cross shopped several dealers in the Houston area and was able to secure a 6% discount, however, I was then going to have to pay to transport for my trade-in and receive the car. And let's be honest did I want to hire a non covered transportation company. Cost: $2500. Ugh.

I also was offered a 6% off in a dealership in the southeast of the United States; again I would have to transport the car, and the fees would eat into the additional 3% rebate. Cost $2500 Ugh.
FWIW: The RS5 coupes can be had for a great bargain, several dealerships are offering around $10K off. (11-12% off).

DOC FEE: $179.81 (Most states set a limit on the doc fee, for Illinois, it is $179.81. If a dealer quoted a high doc fee of over $500 then it's padding the sale. You can push back on them)
TRADE IN: $-35,000 (2017 S3 PRESTIGE)
TAXES AND TITLE FEES BASED ON NET PRICE AFTER TRADE IN: $4,191.95

SUB TOTAL: $53,039.11
DOWN PAYMENT: $-20,000 (I like having easy car payments)
REBATE:$750 (Owning an AUDI)
In the end, I received a 3.49% APR rate @ 60 months. For those of you keeping track at home that equates to $586.67/month.
Were you able to get the $750 loyalty incentive without financing through AFS? I own a 2009 or newer Audi, but will be paying cash, and it is unclear to me whether the current loyalty incentive is tied to financing through AFS as it was last year.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

JD15, I was wondering the same thing. I called Audi customer service and AFS, both of whom didn't have a definitive answer. One person at Audi thought it might be regional dependent. If you get a definitive answer, please post it.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received it and I didn’t go through AFS. Dealers want you to utilize AFS...

Quick Reply: RS5 Sportback - Prices Paid & Experience