Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Sportback - Prices Paid & Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
How difficult is it to keep Daytona Gray clean? I am moving from a medium shade of gray to the darker Daytona Gray and am slightly concerned it will be more sensitive to dirt and other flaws.
My 2018 RS5 Coupe is Daytona Gray Pearl. Clean, it's a magnificent color-shows off body lines, B/Optics package, and with black rings and badging, tinted windows and black painted exhaust bladders, is a beautiful look from every angle. It does show dust quickly. Even a 15 mile drive on clean, dry, paved streets will bring dust coating onto the hood, roof and rear panels. Suppose this is unavoidable, and frankly, no one notices but me. Just carry a spray bottle of Griot's Garage Speed Shine & some microfibers, and in 10 minutes, you will have looking freshly washed without the need for water. Or the inevitable streaking that comes from washing a car the traditional way.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
My 2018 RS5 Coupe is Daytona Gray Pearl. Clean, it's a magnificent color-shows off body lines, B/Optics package, and with black rings and badging, tinted windows and black painted exhaust bladders, is a beautiful look from every angle. It does show dust quickly. Even a 15 mile drive on clean, dry, paved streets will bring dust coating onto the hood, roof and rear panels. Suppose this is unavoidable, and frankly, no one notices but me. Just carry a spray bottle of Griot's Garage Speed Shine & some microfibers, and in 10 minutes, you will have looking freshly washed without the need for water. Or the inevitable streaking that comes from washing a car the traditional way.
Daytona Gray has always been one of my two favorite Audi colors (along with Sepang Blue), so I decided that I had to pull the trigger now that it is available as a standard color. I was almost swayed by the Quantum Gray with BO S5 SB on the showroom floor, as a I think Quantum Gray will hide dirt better, but I decided to stick with Daytona Gray because the 20" BO wheels may not survive the potholes that fill the local roads. I wish BO did not dictate also dictate the wheel option.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
How difficult is it to keep Daytona Gray clean? I am moving from a medium shade of gray to the darker Daytona Gray and am slightly concerned it will be more sensitive to dirt and other flaws.
My Daytona Gray was Ceramic Coated within the first couple of days and it’s been really simple to keep clean. The wheels / brake dust are what needed the most attention until I had them Ceramic Coated — both face and backing — and a blast of water and slight wipe restores them to sparkling clean.

Thankfully, I haven’t had the first ding on the body so I cannot say how noticeable it will be. Past experience with gray cars has shown a forgiveness in “door dings” and “grocery cart collisions.” Time Will Tell.

Good Luck with your new car. I cannot stress how happy I am with a good ceramic coating on the paint.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I cannot stress how happy I am with a good ceramic coating on the paint.
+1
Old 01-06-2019, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Daytona Gray was Ceramic Coated within the first couple of days and it’s been really simple to keep clean. The wheels / brake dust are what needed the most attention until I had them Ceramic Coated — both face and backing — and a blast of water and slight wipe restores them to sparkling clean.

Thankfully, I haven’t had the first ding on the body so I cannot say how noticeable it will be. Past experience with gray cars has shown a forgiveness in “door dings” and “grocery cart collisions.” Time Will Tell.

Good Luck with your new car. I cannot stress how happy I am with a good ceramic coating on the paint.
What brand ceramic coating do you have? Do you also have PPF or just ceramic?
Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by evanseric21
What brand ceramic coating do you have? Do you also have PPF or just ceramic?

Just Ceramic (2 coats after correction). This was the second coat and wheel application.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice. I've been contemplating doing the ceramic coating myself.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Nice. I've been contemplating doing the ceramic coating myself.

As I’m retired, the Audi is primarily a “pleasure car” with low mileage. I thought long and hard about doing the ppf but elected not too, just going with the Ceramic.

i May regret my choice in the future but I’m not going to stress about it now.

Good Luck.

— John
Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

As I’m retired, the Audi is primarily a “pleasure car” with low mileage. I thought long and hard about doing the ppf but elected not too, just going with the Ceramic.

i May regret my choice in the future but I’m not going to stress about it now.

Good Luck.

— John
I came to the same conclusion. Going in for ceramic coat tomorrow and PPF on front bumper only. This will be a 5K miles per year car for me.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by MH62
I came to the same conclusion. Going in for ceramic coat tomorrow and PPF on front bumper only. This will be a 5K miles per year car for me.

That’s the mileage I expressed to the insurance company. Mine is 7 months old and just turned 3,200 miles. As far as the ppf, I did buy a set of factory Daytona Gray Mirror covers from a member who has the RS5 and I had them ppf’d. The local shop that did them expects me to come back for more film but I don’t think I will.

Quick Reply: RS5 Sportback - Prices Paid & Experience