AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   RS5 sportback vs Model 3 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/rs5-sportback-vs-model-3-a-2965341/)

msochemist 01-10-2019 07:49 AM

RS5 sportback vs Model 3

Hi Everyone,
I am just curious on the opinion of the people who bought RS5 sportback.
What would be the advantage of having RS5 sportback at the cost of 75k over 64k tesla model 3?

evanseric21 01-10-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by msochemist (Post 25259822)
Hi Everyone,
I am just curious on the opinion of the people who bought RS5 sportback.
What would be the advantage of having RS5 sportback at the cost of 75k over 64k tesla model 3?

The model 3's interior is no where near the fit and finish of Audi. Honestly I think the model 3 is the worst Tesla. If I was going that route I would get a Model S or the Model X. The model 3 is not in the same league. Just my opinion.

chicago_marketing 01-10-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by evanseric21 (Post 25259825)
The model 3's interior is no where near the fit and finish of Audi. Honestly I think the model 3 is the worst Tesla. If I was going that route I would get a Model S or the Model X. The model 3 is not in the same league. Just my opinion.

+1
  • Have you looked into costs of "fueling" Tesla? I considered it before staying with fossil fuels. Gas needs to be $4+ a gallon in most areas for any "fuel" savings. Additionally, the price you pay per kilowatt hour is a direct correlation to whether you come out ahead or underwater. A great spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1177648161
  • There are several build quality issues. My neighbor has one, and he has not been happy with it
  • There is no longer the full $7500 federal tax credit available for Tesla vehicles.
  • If you want Tesla, look at the Model S - or wait three years before Audi has another offering.
  • Additionally, there are hundreds of Model S that are now off lease with owners running moving to other cars. Several deals to be had.

JD15 01-10-2019 08:14 AM

I very briefly considered a Model 3 before ordering an S5 SB. The Model 3 has noticeably better acceleration and more immediate powertrain, but beyond that and lower fuel costs, I think the S5 SB is superior in all other respects. Though subjective, I consider the Model 3's exterior styling to appear plain and unfinished, with a particularly unattractive "bubbly" look when viewing the car from head on. Even the Model 3 Performance has a massive wheel gap that would need to be remedied with an aftermarket suspension. The interior quality is befitting that of a $20-25k car and is not even in the same stratosphere as that of the S5. A Mazda 3 actually has a better quality interior.

superswiss 01-10-2019 08:59 AM

I think if you are getting a Model 3 you really have to want it for one reason or another. A friend of mine bought the RWD model a couple of months ago and I took it for a spin through a canyon road. It was fun driving it, but it wouldn't suit my needs and wants. It's a great commuter car, but you really have to get over the interior I think and the build quality issues. It wouldn't be for me. Search for the Engineering Explained Model 3 YouTube video. Jason, I think is his name, got a Model 3 and is showing all the paint and body panel issues that the car came with from the factory.

One of my business partners just got a dual motor Model 3 before Christmas. When he picked up the car and the rep tried to walk him through all the features, the computer spontaneously rebooted. On his way home the computer kept rebooting, which is rather disconcerting considering that all information including current speed etc. is displayed on the one screen. Since then I'm hearing his car is in and out of service as they still haven't figured out what's going. Last I heard they were going to replace the computer, but sounds like that didn't do the trick.

There are real fitment issues and paint issues and build quality issues. The tolerance of the panel gaps is pretty bad. Tesla is rushing these things out and their production really is nowhere a mature production like that of Audi and others. You gonna have to be willing to pay a premium for a poorly built car in the name of saving the environment I guess. The Germans are now seriously getting into EVs. The new e-tron GT looks pretty awesome, the Porsche Taycan as well, so once the time comes where I'm either forced to go EV, or I feel they are truly gonna start meeting my needs and lifestyle then I'll probably go with a more established car brand that has decades of experience in producing cars.

One criteria I think for whether an EV works for your situation is whether you have a garage or not and can install a charger, so you can easily and conveniently charge the car every night or depending on how often you drive every few nights. Otherwise if you park on the street then you better have charging capabilities at work or be willing to drive to a super charger occasionally, but that really takes away from the convenience I think. What really kinda puts me off EVs at the moment is that you kinda end up planning your drives around the needs of the car. You'll find yourself trying to extend the range by driving more cautiously etc. so that you don't have to unexpectedly charge it. That really doesn't work for me. I wanna have fun driving and I may burn through a tank of gas hitting up a mountain road just for fun w/o thinking about it, because I can just quickly refuel on the other end. An EV is not a car for just going on a fun drive in the canyons and risk getting stranded with an empty battery, but if you primarily commute with the car and have ample and convenient ways to recharge it and you can overlook the build quality and plain interior then why not.

Zed 2.0 01-10-2019 09:13 AM

I'm trying to make this exact same decision with the Model 3 Performance vs. a S4, S5 SB, or RS5 SB.

The Model 3's 0-80mph acceleration is simply violent. None of the Audi cars come close to the feeling. The RS5 will start creeping up after around 70mph but the Model 3 should handily take the 1/4 mile.

I don't understand the bitching about the Model 3's interior quality. The design is spartan but the materials and assembly are actually very good. High quality soft touch materials everywhere, including the lower door panels (I don't think even the Audis have that). Only big disappointment on the Model 3 interior is lack of a HUD.

My concerns on the Model 3: unclear whether Tesla is figuring out its assembly and paint issues (some of the paint defects out there are astonishing); early reports of poor cold weather performance (range reductions of up to 50%, freezing door handles and window frames); road noise and NVH are noticeably greater than other cars in the class; early reports that the Performance model is not living up to range claims; it is becoming ubiquitous in a lot of cities (I see as many Model 3s as Civics during my commute); no dynamic suspension (yet) and no fun noises.

Jimminez@Nemesis 01-10-2019 09:19 AM

A couple of co-workers ordered them a while ago and we went for a ride when they received them. The styling both interior and exterior aren't to my liking but do understand the interior purpose. To me the car has zero soul or character. I'm not interested in having something else drive me regardless of the 0-60 times. Due to it being electric and no engine noise, the wind and road noise were distracting. Not to mention both cars had horrible paint swirl upon delivery. So much that a full paint correction was needed. I know all new cars come with swirls but this was worse than a car that's been on the road for more than five years and horrible bucket washes.

The G Man 01-10-2019 09:29 AM

As someone once said, Tesla is a battery company that just happens to make cars. On the other hand, Audi has been making cars for over 100 years. Please do not get me started on the model 3's interior, it is basically an ipad stick onto the middle of the dash. Styling wise, the exterior is pretty plain compare to the competition, the interior has no styling to speak of. I am thinking the Audi's future electric cars offering will be much nicer, more in line of looking like a real finished product and not one that is design by amateurs and rush into production.

JD15 01-10-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25259866)
As someone once said, Tesla is a battery company that just happens to make cars.

I agree, though I have respect for Tesla's entire electric powertrain, which is clearly ahead of Audi's capabilities for now. An ideal luxury electric car would pair a Tesla powertrain and batteries to a vehicle designed and manufactured by Audi.

evanseric21 01-10-2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25259894)
I agree, though I have respect for Tesla's entire electric powertrain, which is clearly ahead of Audi's capabilities for now. An ideal luxury electric car would pair a Tesla powertrain and batteries to a vehicle designed and manufactured by Audi.

I like Tesla and have respect for them as well. I think their infotainment system and how they handle software updates are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. I just think they can learn a thing or two from the Germans on how to design the interior of their cars. They are very plain. The model 3 literally has an ipad on the center console. It's even worst then then what Audi has done with the A5 series. The actual software is better then what Audi offers though.