Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 sportback vs Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I agree, though I have respect for Tesla's entire electric powertrain, which is clearly ahead of Audi's capabilities for now. An ideal luxury electric car would pair a Tesla powertrain and batteries to a vehicle designed and manufactured by Audi.
Tesla's powertrain is years ahead of everybody else, it is their car building skills that is in question. Personally, I think it is embarrassing to offer an interior like the model 3 and charge that kind of price. If you don't need Tesla's 0-60 in 3 seconds acceleration in your luxury car, then Audi is a much better choice. If Tesla choose to license its technology to other car manufacturers, we might actually see a high quality car with a very advance electric powertrain, but I do not see Elon Musk doing that.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The future is just about now:

Old 01-10-2019, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Model 3 is junk
Look at Tesla design it’s a ripoff from porsche
even the Tesla font looks like Porsche font
Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool post, bro.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
I don't understand the bitching about the Model 3's interior quality. The design is spartan but the materials and assembly are actually very good. High quality soft touch materials everywhere, including the lower door panels (I don't think even the Audis have that).
I had the exact opposite opinion when I viewed a Model 3 at a showroom. Fit and finish issues all over inside, gaps between panels. Uneven stitching patterns and seat covers with puckers that didn't lay flat. The rear seat is just low and flat, looks like a horrible place to spend more than 5 minutes in. I found the door panels to be mesh of plastics that had graining patters that were totally different, flimsy door handles and scratchy plastics throughout. Even the carpet had terrible cutouts around the seats. Don't get me started on the look and feel of the steering wheel. Wood trim didn't match up in places. Yes....I was looking to be VERY critical of the car, but compared to an Audi....the interior can't even hold a candle to quality. Sure, that' doesn't make is slower or ride worse or unreliable, but when I drop that much money I expect more. Clearly others don't care, but that doesn't mean it's well put together inside. I'm sorry, but it takes a lot more than a quick 0-60 to sell me on a car. Sure, the V10 in my R8 makes the car quick, but I didn't buy it for the speed, I bought it for the look and engineering and sound and "experience". To me, Tesla offers a very limited bandwidth of "experience" for a lot of car guys.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't trust Elon or his company. So, a big no from me on the Model 3
Old 01-11-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
The rear seat is just low and flat, looks like a horrible place to spend more than 5 minutes in.
I forgot to mention that the rear seat is barely usable; to increase headroom, Tesla moved the seat so low that any normal sized person will feel like he is sitting in a hole with knees almost at eye-level.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about the teen that crash his parent's Tesla model S in Florida, the car split into two and caught on fire. After the fire was put out, hours later, the Tesla reignite itself twice. According to emergency responders, these electric car fires burn hotter and more intense. Many have claim that the Tesla's battery compartment is not well protected.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an A5 and an M5. The model 3 has the best steering and suspension compared to those 2. I also test drove a lot of 2018 Audis and BMWs in the last 3-4 months and they also feel inferior to the Model 3 in the suspension and steering department. I was VERY impressed with the Model 3. The immediacy of the throttle response is also refreshing as gasoline powered cars are getting more and more numb and disconnected from the driver. On the other hand, the styling of the model 3 is childish. The interior is sparse and not up to the fit and finish of the german cars in that price range. Also, because of the battery being in the floor, it feels as if the seats are closer to the floor. Felt weird to me. Trunk in the Model 3 is a regular trunk, I would have preferred the sportback style of the Tesla S.I am planning to wait till 20/21 before I replace my M5, I am hoping that the germans will have some compelling choices by then.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

If you were on the fence about the Model 3 this should put your uncertainty to rest:
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29257/...der-spec-paint

Pretty crazy... I don't know how many of them have this problem but especially for a car that charges CAN $2000 extra for a paint color this is insane.

PS. A good reason to reconsider spacers and not go crazy with the offset if you plan to keep the car for a while...

Last edited by belzebutt; 08-03-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: RS5 sportback vs Model 3