Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dafantom
So, is the EDM one a 'split grill', and pray tell, what is a 'single-hex grill'

Thanks, so much.
The RS5 OEM grill has equal sized hexes throughout.

The Chinese-sourced aftermarket grills come in two versions, the first to show up on the market, let's say "Version 1" with a smaller hex in the lower section like the ones shown on EMD's website, and the more accurate "Version 2" with the same sized hexes.

You can search on eBay and find both.
Version 1
Version 2, which I have on order.

You can see that Version 1 has a higher sensor mounting location than Version 2 which causes the wires coming out of it to interfere with the crash bar. This requires either cutting out material from the crash bar, installing new sensors, or modifying the original sensor. For Version 2 you just need to put some black vinyl on the sensor to make it look factory, AFAIK. I'll know more when I do my install.

Last edited by fettekatze; 02-28-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

The OEM sensors are not black, so one will have to take that into account, if they are reusing.
I have black vinyl to cover the crash bar and I'll use it to cover the sensor as well. Shouldn't cause any sensor issues in theory.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Odo Ital
What's your point? People, especially luxury car buyers, are often willing to pay more for a better product.
my point is to educate you that we are talking about a grill and not a Mars rover. There is no strict tolerance with a grill it either fits or doesn't. Some guy in China trying to make a living isn't going to risk his livelihood selling you a shoddy product more than some guy here in America. If it makes you sleep better at night knowing you, as a luxury car buyer, paid $$$ markup as a perceived better product by all means. I'm just telling you that I bought a Ebay knockoff and the fitment and finish is fine. There's no gaps, cracks or bowed lines. The fit and finish are as good as what I see factory RS5s
Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
I have black vinyl to cover the crash bar and I'll use it to cover the sensor as well. Shouldn't cause any sensor issues in theory.
ahhh. Good idea. With my A4, i sprayed painted it black. My neighbor did the same on his A6. It's held up well for the past 2.5 years
Old 02-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Vinyl wrap won't affect the parking sensors, so you will be good to go there.

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 02-28-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The RS5 OEM grill has equal sized hexes throughout.

You can see that Version 1 has a higher sensor mounting location than Version 2 which causes the wires coming out of it to interfere with the crash bar. This requires either cutting out material from the crash bar, installing new sensors, or modifying the original sensor. For Version 2 you just need to put some black vinyl on the sensor to make it look factory, AFAIK. I'll know more when I do my install.
Yep....thanks fettekatze.

Appears that EMD offers only version 1, is that correct? If so, where are you getting version 2 from?
Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dafantom
Yep....thanks fettekatze.

Appears that EMD offers only version 1, is that correct? If so, where are you getting version 2 from?
This one from eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RS5-Style-G...5/302853137638
Old 02-28-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
my point is to educate you that we are talking about a grill and not a Mars rover. There is no strict tolerance with a grill it either fits or doesn't. Some guy in China trying to make a living isn't going to risk his livelihood selling you a shoddy product more than some guy here in America. If it makes you sleep better at night knowing you, as a luxury car buyer, paid $$$ markup as a perceived better product by all means. I'm just telling you that I bought a Ebay knockoff and the fitment and finish is fine. There's no gaps, cracks or bowed lines. The fit and finish are as good as what I see factory RS5s
Aren't people already reporting there are variations depending on which they buy? Like the Audi logo being too large. And some people are having issues with the V1 wiring placement while others aren't.

Anyway, if EMD is truly sourcing from the same place, there might be indications on the physical product.

In my experience, it's possible to find the source by just searching Alibaba.

I think I've found the V1 grille and V2 grille. It's often hard to know for sure since sometimes the same product will be made by different manufacturers. There are a lot of possibilities when it comes to sourcing from China. Could be the EMD has gone through a few different manufacturing partners, could be that they're working with one company to refine it over time. Or it could be that they're designed it themselves and had a Chinese company manufacture it, and now several other companies have "acquired" a version and are selling it, and improved versions, themselves. All these scenarios are very common when working with Chinese manufacturing. It happens to anything from electronics, to optics, to childrens' toys.

Anyone who really wants to know can do some investigation and perhaps corroborate markings on the physical product to verify.

Either way, I'm going to wait until EMD adopts the new version, or there are enough reports out there that it works fine.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone been able to find Version 2, all black with camera mount?
Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yogs
Has anyone been able to find Version 2, all black with camera mount?
I purchased V2 from Aliexpress ($280 USD shipped) from a store called Golfliath. Quality is A+ and I have no doubt it is the same no-camera grille that EMD had on their website for some time (link dead now, detail at the bottom of THIS PAGE).

I went to grab a link to the store however they seem to be down (no products listed). There are plenty of other options if you search Aliexpress.

The seller had a camera mount option but it is UGLY (sticks out horribly):

I am in the process of having a new OEM like mount designed and 3D printed to fit inside the existing honeycomb. Waiting on the first draft from the designer, below is the illustrator sketch I provided.

Have also looked at ordering the OEM RS5 front camera cap (8W6-853-140-C-T94) but worry it will not fit flush as the honeycomb design is different OEM vs Aftermarket. Happy to update the thread once I get it back from the shop.

The other aspect I am currently trying to solve is the crash bar cover. Looking into the OEM part from the RS5 (alternative to painting the bar), challenge is that it seems to follow the honeycomb outline which is different on aftermarket grille.

Quick Reply: RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?