AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/rs5-style-grills-difference-between-emd-ebay-chinese-products-2967667/)

fettekatze 02-22-2019 07:59 AM

RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?

What's the difference between the $459 EMD Grill and the eBay version for $314? They both look like the same product.

https://www.emdauto.com/collections/...=8212522598488
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RS5-Style-G...5/292312671583

Nikon1 02-22-2019 08:39 AM

Personal experience:

1) EMD Product is outstanding. Every bit as good as the factory Audi grille.

2) EMD customer service is outstanding. They answer their phone and their e-mail.

3) They are willing to work with their customers. When I ordered my RS style grille, it came with the silver rings. This was in September of last year. Just this week I inquired about Black Rings via an e-mail. The next morning I had a response that they have the black rings to fit my grille — $20.00 shipped. They arrived 2 days later (EMD is in LA & I’m in NJ) and fit perfectly.

I cannot speak to the eBay vendors and their products and level of support. In my experience, The extra cost is offset by having USA based support.

As Always, YMMV.

— John

Zed 2.0 02-22-2019 08:49 AM

The EMD black grille has been sold out for at least a month :(

fettekatze 02-22-2019 09:03 AM

I'm interested in the silver grill since I'm not aiming to black out my car, but yeah, not going to pay 50% more for just better customer support.

Rob O 02-22-2019 10:15 AM

I had the ebay version on my car for a year. Technically, mine was from a different seller so may not be that exact one ... but it's the same "version 1" style, with the different lower section.

Anyway, fitment was perfect and I had zero quality issues with it. The 'quattro' letters, already affixed prior to receiving, were a little wonky -- like a drunk put them on -- but you couldn't tell unless you were right on top of it and looking hard. Despite exact fit in place of the stock grille, mine required custom mounting of the camera (silicon and "plastic welding") as well as sourcing the OE right-angle sensors (to avoid cutting the crash bar, which I had to do anyway) separately. Back then late 2017/early 2018), shipping was more like $150. Sensors were $120 I think. All in, before install, I was near $600 into mine ... and that makes the EMD version a deal.

I've been asked elventy hundred times over the past year about the grille. I *always* point them to EMD. Their version (last I checked) included the sensors, has a proper camera mount (supposedly) and is all bundled up for one price. Oh, and it's the newer design, which is single hex pattern throughout, similar to OE RS5. I have *nothing* to do with EMD; the don't know I exist. I don't have any of their products, don't do business with them, don't know anybody there, etc. But I know they're the ones to get your RS5 style grille from if you want it as close to perfect from the start.

dafantom 02-22-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 (Post 25279961)
The EMD black grille has been sold out for at least a month :(

The EDM black grilles are supposed to be back in stock by the end of the month, and they come from Taiwan. They seem to be the best ones available. I haven't seen BKM grills mentioned.

Why skimp on a $65K+ car?

Nikon1 02-22-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by fettekatze (Post 25279968)
I'm interested in the silver grill since I'm not aiming to black out my car, but yeah, not going to pay 50% more for just better customer support.

You get what you pay for.

fettekatze 02-22-2019 11:38 AM

Ah that's right, the correct grill has the same size hex grid throughout, glad you caught that on my link. EMD's pictures for both of their grills are Version 1 with the different lower section. All the EMD threads also show Version 1 in addition to all the sensor issues people have been running into.

Think I'll just get this Version 2. Looks to be the same as the one in this thread. I don't need a camera holder anyways since my car doesn't come with one.

TheWombat 02-22-2019 02:58 PM

From those links, it seems that the cheaper grille does not include sensors, but the EMD one does. That accounts for at least part of the price differential.

skubeeraw 02-27-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheWombat (Post 25280152)
From those links, it seems that the cheaper grille does not include sensors, but the EMD one does. That accounts for at least part of the price differential.

the ones I have from ebay does. And if anyone that is local to the DFW area who wants a good deal on a RS5 replica grill, PM me I ordered it for my S5 but since I don't have an S5 anymore....