Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by dafantom
Excellent write-up fettekatze!

EDM
is sold out of V1 grilles again. Don't know if they'll ever offer V2's again, like they did a year ago.

Buying a V2 grille from one of the remaining Chinese sellers on eBay is really uncomfortable. They have poor reviews, haven't been around a long time, delivery can be over a month, and most of their previous sales are nickel and dime items. Some offer free shipping, and others want $250 to ship. Products all look exactly the same. Tariffs into the USA are also unknown.

Don't seem to be any acceptable options.
EMD does give you the option of entering your e-mail address to be notified when the grille is back in stock — which is what I did when they were showing zero stock. It was only a short time later that they notified me the grille was back in stock. I went on-line, placed my order and it was delivered with 7 days.

Good Luck!

— John
Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
.....It was only a short time later that they notified me the grille was back in stock. I went on-line, placed my order and it was delivered with 7 days.
Good Luck!
— John
Copy that, and thanks, John!

I was notified also, and the eight or ten Version 1 grilles they got back in stock were gone in a few days.

I wanted the Version 2 grille, since it seems to have fewer sensor alignment issues, and, to me, looks a bit better.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent write-up fettekatze!

EDM
is sold out of V1 grilles again. Don't know if they'll ever offer V2's again, like they did a year ago.

Buying a V2 grille from one of the remaining Chinese sellers on eBay is really uncomfortable. They have poor reviews, haven't been around a long time, delivery can be over a month, and most of their previous sales are nickel and dime items. Some offer free shipping, and others want $250 to ship. Products all look exactly the same. Tariffs into the USA are also unknown.

Don't seem to be any acceptable options.
Anecdotal, but my eBay seller stonecarbon2009 immediately contacted me to confirm what car I had and confirm selection of grill color, shipped 3 days after I paid, shipping only took a week, and I got charged no custom fees to the US.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fettekatze
Anecdotal, but my eBay seller stonecarbon2009 immediately contacted me to confirm what car I had and confirm selection of grill color, shipped 3 days after I paid, shipping only took a week, and I got charged no custom fees to the US.
Unfortunately he isn't listed as a seller anymore. The other Chinese sellers have short histories, haven't sold any grilles it seems, and it appears they are all middle men hawking the same product. Very uncomfortable.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately he isn't listed as a seller anymore. The other Chinese sellers have short histories, haven't sold any grilles it seems, and it appears they are all middle men hawking the same product. Very uncomfortable.
Yes he is. The store has a ton of car accessories for sale and if you look at his feedback there's plenty of items in the $hundreds.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/stonecarbon...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fettekatze
Yes he is. The store has a ton of car accessories for sale and if you look at his feedback there's plenty of items in the $hundreds.
Quite right, but no 2018 RS5 STYLE AUDI A5 B9 FRONT BUMPER HONEYCOMB GRILLEs

I'll keep looking.....
Old 03-11-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quite right, but no 2018 RS5 STYLE AUDI A5 B9 FRONT BUMPER HONEYCOMB GRILLEs

I'll keep looking.....
Silver V2
Black V2
Old 03-11-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick update: designer has done the initial quick rough print for fitment testing (final print will look much cleaner).

Several adjustments are required:
1) camera lens needs to hit the front edge of the channel
2) the camera channel needs to move up closer to the bottom of the logo
3) I have also asked if he can extend the bracket so that it can be secured to the two screw holes behind the logo (see last pic), similar to how the OE bracket is fastened (vs. glue and epoxy)

All in all looks good for a test print. The piece at the back is the OE rear bracket that I will reuse. Getting there!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, just wondering how long it takes for you to swap out grilles and is it a PITA? I might get the BO S5 grille from eBay but my local wrap shop is quoting $350cad (85/hr) for the grille install. Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by S5xyBack
Hey guys, just wondering how long it takes for you to swap out grilles and is it a PITA? I might get the BO S5 grille from eBay but my local wrap shop is quoting $350cad (85/hr) for the grille install. Thoughts?
Well, that works out to about 4.5 hours so that’s pretty realistic — but don’t forget to slow time to paint your bumper plate black.

Stock Silver

Painted Black

Make sure they black that out or your grille will look odd.

— John

Quick Reply: RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?