Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by S5xyBack
Hey guys, just wondering how long it takes for you to swap out grilles and is it a PITA? I might get the BO S5 grille from eBay but my local wrap shop is quoting $350cad (85/hr) for the grille install. Thoughts?
My first try took 4hrs without a lift including masking and painting the bumper, which you don't need to remove the bumper to do so. If I had a lift and had to do it again I bet I can knock it out in 2hrs. Of course time is wasted figuring out what to do the first time you do anything. The hardest part is popping out the lower trim from the bumper.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nevetS4
I have purchased the same grill from AliExpress and also locate in Toronto. Please let me know once you are done. It is great so see people with all kind of talents in this forum helping each other out.
Can you provide the link for the grille you purchased from AliExpress? Im also in Toronto, did you have to pay any additional Duty & Tax when you got it?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
Yes he is. The store has a ton of car accessories for sale and if you look at his feedback there's plenty of items in the $hundreds.
Seems you have a favorite seller. Very good & Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S5xyBack
Hey guys, just wondering how long it takes for you to swap out grilles and is it a PITA? I might get the BO S5 grille from eBay but my local wrap shop is quoting $350cad (85/hr) for the grille install. Thoughts?
I had a shop do it who has done likely hundreds of these and they knocked it out in 2 hours.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhir4n
Can you provide the link for the grille you purchased from AliExpress? Im also in Toronto, did you have to pay any additional Duty & Tax when you got it?
I purchased from a store called Golfliath (LINK), dealt with Amy Lu. They do not have it listed anymore but I am certain that they can source it. Send them a message with a pic. I included one below from the original listing. They also had the black frame version.

I paid $280 USD ($330 CAD) including shipping (EMS then Canada Post). Took about 5 weeks to receive which was no issue for me. Box was big, FedEx would have cost as much as the grille. I was not charged any additional fees or duties upon delivery.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered one from Ebay yesterday and asked if the seller has a U.S. license plate holder option, but haven't received any response. What do you guys do with the Euro plate brackets and the 3 screw housings, are those detachable or must be dremelled out?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yogs
I ordered one from Ebay yesterday and asked if the seller has a U.S. license plate holder option, but haven't received any response. What do you guys do with the Euro plate brackets and the 3 screw housings, are those detachable or must be dremelled out?
The slots in the grille are not detachable, are part of the original mold. I plan to do something with two magnetic phone holders similar to what Rob O (@blinkerfluid) did on his S5 grille. This way I can also run with no front plate at times.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5ecific
The slots in the grille are not detachable, are part of the original mold. I plan to do something with two magnetic phone holders similar to what Rob O (@blinkerfluid) did on his S5 grille. This way I can also run with no front plate at times.
That’s a good idea, thank you!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A bunch of V2 full mesh grills appeared on eBay for around $250 with free shipping during the past several days. The shipping estimates are late March and April or later though. I ordered one, but haven’t received shipping confirmation yet, will update with more info.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting... when I was looking there were none on eBay, ton on AliExpress.... now its the other way around.

I did just realize something that might be worth to note for those that are looking to install a camera bracket on the V2 grille. There seem to be two versions of the V2 grille. See pics below and look for the mesh pattern where the camera mount goes, the built in plate mount locations, as well as the proximity sensor location differences:

V2A

V2B

Easiest way to differentiate is that the V2A has flat plate mounts and V2B has them slightly raised. Most important thing to note is the V2A mimics the OE grille when it comes to camera mount spacing (rectangle space below Audi logo). V2B has much less room (no rectangle space below Audi logo) and will not work with 3D printed camera mount I am in the process of getting made.

V2A Close-Up

V2B Close-Up

Best way to make sure is to have the seller send you actual pics of the grille you are getting vs listing pics.

Quick Reply: RS5-Style grills, difference between EMD and eBay Chinese products?