Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5/A5 Sportback seating options

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5/A5 Sportback seating options

I'm getting close to ordering an S5 (or possibly A5) sportback - but the one thing driving me batty right now is that I really wanted seat ventilation. I live in a rather warm place, and there's nothing I love more than some cooling air to help with the swamp *** & back. But it appears that on the A5 it is available in three colors, but on the S5 it is only available in black (which itself is a problem in a warm climate), and it "downgrades" (IMO) the S seats to the A "sport" seats. Can someone confirm this? Is there a big difference in the A5 "sort" seats vs. S5 seats in terms of comfort (the S definitely look better)?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

You understand it all correctly.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 16' A5 Cab has ventilated seats and in my opinion don't work all that well. I'm interested in getting a S5 Sportback and will not give up the S sport seats for the warm weather package seat trade.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audphile
My 16' A5 Cab has ventilated seats and in my opinion don't work all that well. I'm interested in getting a S5 Sportback and will not give up the S sport seats for the warm weather package seat trade.
I was told this same thing by my dealer rep re: the Audi vented seats not working great, when I was asking her about the WW pack option. Was refreshing not to have been needlessly up-sold on something for once. I've been in GM vehicles with the option and it is great in the summer, but apparently the system in the Audi isn't as powerful (according to dealer).
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they aren't very effective because they draw air in instead of blowing air out. Had a Lexus years ago that blew air out of the seat and that worked great.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I've had them in two Porsches (911 and Panamera) which also pull air in and they both worked very well. It really has a lot to do with the size and number of perforations in the seat leather. None of the A5s I have seem have this option so I can't offer an opinion as to the difference between the Audi and the Porsche.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audphile
I think they aren't very effective because they draw air in instead of blowing air out. Had a Lexus years ago that blew air out of the seat and that worked great.
I thought that that's the way all vented seats worked. The idea is to draw sweat and warm air off your body. I'm no expert, but wouldn't blowing cold air onto a damp, sweaty body be unhealthy?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:50 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I thought that that's the way all vented seats worked. The idea is to draw sweat and warm air off your body. I'm no expert, but wouldn't blowing cold air onto a damp, sweaty body be unhealthy?
true - and i am thinking that drawing sweaty moist air into your car seats is a recipe for bacterial growth...

this was an option i passed on
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ive also always wondered what happens when conditioning the leather.

Leather care products will not "clog" the perforations?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have the ventilated seats on our 2017 A4--my wife loves them and we haven't hit our hotter Florida months yet. I didn't get them on my S5 because I didn't want to give up the the sport seats. I'm 200lbs, 6'3" and the A4 seats don't lock me in like the sport seats. Plus the massage feature sounds pretty cool too.

Quick Reply: S5/A5 Sportback seating options