Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 in drive thru car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

Touchless are fine on occasion-no swirls, but would not recommend long term. The chemicals used can be harsh to the paint.
If I go commercial, I take it to the local detailed who does a hand wash.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

My hand wash palace also leaves swirls. If I look at my car wrong, it leaves swirls. It's unavoidable.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary

If I go commercial, I take it to the local detailed who does a hand wash.
Ya- that would be nice to do, but hand detailes are cost prohibitive in my area plus having to schedule and wait. I prefer doing the hand wash myself, but in cold weather the touchless is a good backup.

Originally Posted by JD15
Once I find a decent car wash, I use that instead of washing my own car. Yes, it creates some level of swirl marks, which is why I buy colors that do not show swirls prominently, but a consistent washing and waxing regime keeps the finishing looking good for years. There have also been plenty of times non-commercial car washing was prohibited in my area because of water restrictions.
I have had very bad experiences at commercial hand wash, car washes. My Q5 was swirled to death by a place in Dallas that when I lined up had Ferrari’s, Maserati’s, Tesla’s, etc in front of me. My little Q5 was the “poor” mans car of the lot, so thought I’d be good. Nope. After that, I stopped going to those places and do it myself with exception to a detailer going’s over it, as Mebin mentions. I’m expecting ceramic to help a lot here with maintenance / no waxing - otherwise I’ll never get it again.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I’m thinking it depends on the particular Touchless Car Wash? The one I went through even has the jets to power blast the under carriage. I’ve found that if I dry the car with 3 or 4 Microfiber Towels the results are much better.
I've never seen a touchless car wash that did the undercarriage. I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I'd like to use it in the Spring, once all the salt and other de-icers have washed off the roads.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take my S5 coupe to Delta Sonic. They hand dry it after going thru machine. Hose frozen in my garage. On 3 year lease. 2019 prestige coupe tango red with sport suspension
Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
I've never seen a touchless car wash that did the undercarriage. I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I'd like to use it in the Spring, once all the salt and other de-icers have washed off the roads.

I’m sorry — I didn’t notice the brand of the mechanism but next time I go through, I’ll try to remember to look for it. As it’s not really that close to my home & travels, I’ve only used it twice on 2 different vehicles.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
The one I use is a touchless, but also does full touch (if you want that). When I drive in, it sprays water in the undercarriage - which is why I like using it. Of course, we don’t usually have salt on roads, here in Dallas but normally treat with chemicals. Either way, it’s a good way to get it relatively cleaned topic to bottom, after which sometimes I’ll come back home and give it a more thorough wash.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

The one I use is a touchless, but also does full touch (if you want that). When I drive in, it sprays water in the undercarriage - which is why I like using it. Of course, we don’t usually have salt on roads, here in Dallas but normally treat with chemicals. Either way, it’s a good way to get it relatively cleaned topic to bottom, after which sometimes I’ll come back home and give it a more thorough wash.
Mine also has the undercarriage wash as you drive in.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

you are talking about a touchless car wash. They are safer to use but do not clean well.

Probably correct, but what is the worst.... to let the massive salt coating in our harsh winters or to endure a so-so washing? I vote the second.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem w/ automatic washes is not necessarily the minor swirls they leave 99 times out of 100. Is the major swirls/holograms you get that 1 time out of 100 when the brushes happen to be loaded w/ grit - that you have no visibility/control of. I've had two previous cars whose finishes even non-enthusiasts would classify as "ruined" when using automatic washes that more or less worked fine many times before. Not much recourse when you can't prove the car wasn't like that before it drove through.

Quick Reply: S5 in drive thru car wash