Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 in drive thru car wash

Old 02-10-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
I've never seen a touchless car wash that did the undercarriage. I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I'd like to use it in the Spring, once all the salt and other de-icers have washed off the roads.
There are plenty in CT. I just went to one in Farmington last week (Water Works) that did the undercarriage.
The Water Works in Southington does not have touchless, unfortunately.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
A stock S5 should have no problems with ground clearance in a regular car wash. I have used a conveyor belt car wash for the S5 a few times. Just make sure to turn off rain sensing wipers and Presense.

Ground clearance is my real concern with drive thru carwash, the S5 is pretty low but it sounds like that is not an problem. How do I turn off presense if you dont mine me asking. Are we talking about the parking sensor button on the dash or some sort of presense setting in the MMI?

as far as swirl marks, its a price to paid for dark colors.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

Ground clearance is my real concern with drive thru carwash, the S5 is pretty low but it sounds like that is not an problem. How do I turn off presense if you dont mine me asking. Are we talking about the parking sensor button on the dash or some sort of presense setting in the MMI?

as far as swirl marks, its a price to paid for dark colors.
No, it's in the MMI settings, where you can turn off Presense. Don't remember the exact menu. It will come back on when you restart the car, so make sure that doesn't happen. Last thing you want is your car to apply the brakes while on the belt.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
No, it's in the MMI settings, where you can turn off Presense. Don't remember the exact menu. It will come back on when you restart the car, so make sure that doesn't happen. Last thing you want is your car to apply the brakes while on the belt.
I don't know why Audi won't allow the idiot aids to be turned off permanently. Somehow I managed to drive for the past 20 years without causing accidents and my first car even had no airbags, traction control, stability control or any other electronic aids.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I don't know why Audi won't allow the idiot aids to be turned off permanently. Somehow I managed to drive for the past 20 years without causing accidents and my first car even had no airbags, traction control, stability control or any other electronic aids.

I would suggest the blame be placed on the World’s “Nanny State” legislation. Much like the Ford / Bridgestone fiasco that resulted in TPMS in all cars after a certain year.

Just sayin’
Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

Ya- that would be nice to do, but hand detailes are cost prohibitive in my area plus having to schedule and wait. I prefer doing the hand wash myself, but in cold weather the touchless is a good backup.

I have had very bad experiences at commercial hand wash, car washes. My Q5 was swirled to death by a place in Dallas that when I lined up had Ferrari’s, Maserati’s, Tesla’s, etc in front of me. My little Q5 was the “poor” mans car of the lot, so thought I’d be good. Nope. After that, I stopped going to those places and do it myself with exception to a detailer going’s over it, as Mebin mentions. I’m expecting ceramic to help a lot here with maintenance / no waxing - otherwise I’ll never get it again.
What color is your Q5? At this point, I assume all daily drivers have some degree of swirling and only buy colors that do not show swirls prominently, like white, silver, and gray (definitely not black). Luckily, I keep my cars long enough that minor swirling will have no difference on the resale value and instead spend that time maintaining the outside of my house as opposed to signing up for another biweekly chore.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I would suggest the blame be placed on the World’s “Nanny State” legislation. Much like the Ford / Bridgestone fiasco that resulted in TPMS in all cars after a certain year.

Just sayin’
Maybe, but is there any legislation mandating emergency braking systems that cannot be permanently deactivated? I highly doubt it, given that it is possible to purchase new cars without this technology. I assume that Audi believes its target American customer would rather text than drive, and they may be correct.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody tried going thru a car wash without turing off auto braking? The car is in neutral so even if auto brake is applied, one just have to deal with the noise. What other problem might pre sense cause?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

When I go through a car wash, I simply leave the parking brake on, get out & the car wash guy drives it in and off it goes. I’ve never had a problem with anything: no wheels not turning or any problems at all.

In one end dirty / Clean when it exits and they drive it to the lot to dry it. And I watch it go through the wash tunnel the entire 50’ trip.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
What color is your Q5? At this point, I assume all daily drivers have some degree of swirling and only buy colors that do not show swirls prominently, like white, silver, and gray (definitely not black). Luckily, I keep my cars long enough that minor swirling will have no difference on the resale value and instead spend that time maintaining the outside of my house as opposed to signing up for another biweekly chore.
Brilliant black...or what I call the worst colour Audi has. Like all black cars, it looks amazing when it is cleaned but gets dirty 2 seconds later. It shows swirl marks just from breathing on it Those first 2 seconds sure are great though! My future black cars will all have to be metallic based, to help with the appearance of the swirls (Mythos Black).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S5 in drive thru car wash