AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   S5 not selling, prices dropping? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/s5-not-selling-prices-dropping-2947760/)

kameleon 04-22-2018 05:34 AM

S5 not selling, prices dropping?

I've been shopping for an S5 and following the market. Prices seem to be dropping and cars seem to be staying on the lots. Looking at Edmunds, the car seems to be selling below invoice. Given the positive reviews of the car, I'm surprised sales aren't better. Any thoughts on why this is?

JD15 04-22-2018 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by kameleon (Post 25141718)
I've been shopping for an S5 and following the market. Prices seem to be dropping and cars seem to be staying on the lots. Looking at Edmunds, the car seems to be selling below invoice. Given the positive reviews of the car, I'm surprised sales aren't better. Any thoughts on why this is?

Because Americans increasingly prefer SUVs? The S5 is not heavy, tall, or fat enough to be desirable. In the short term, it's good news for car buyers because we have more bargaining power. In the long term, it's bad because we'll all be stuck driving Q5s.

hevnsnt 04-22-2018 06:22 AM

I am S5 shopping right now, and I am getting 8% off MSRP all day, but can't get anyone to move past that.

NoMoreBMWs 04-22-2018 06:31 AM

unlikely...

Originally Posted by kameleon (Post 25141718)

In the last reported month - March 2018 - U.S. sales of the A5/S5 (2587) were close to the total for the past three years (1303, 784 & 674). This was the best month ever except for December 2017 (2958). Individual models are not broken out: if you're talking about the S5 coupe it may be that the S5 Sportback is starving the coupe sales.

audi40 04-22-2018 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by hevnsnt (Post 25141735)
I am S5 shopping right now, and I am getting 8% off MSRP all day, but can't get anyone to move past that.

That's what I got (8% plus $1k loyalty) when I purchased a month ago - the first dealer I contacted offered that right off the bat, then got my local dealer to match (their initial offer was 5.5%).

Got killed on my trade-in though - after getting the dealer's initial offer, I took the car to Carmax who offered $300 less. Since it was a TDI, there was a lot of uncertainty over the value - dealer sold it in less than 3 weeks for $6k more than they gave me. Oh well, still feel like a got a good deal and very happy with the S5.

SYMAWD 04-22-2018 11:26 AM

Because coupes just don't sell well. Sportbacks don't get discounted as much.

OneOfOne 04-22-2018 08:18 PM

TT is even worse. this is an ongoing trend

caranddriver 04-22-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by OneOfOne (Post 25142074)
TT is even worse. this is an ongoing trend

TT is like a turd on the lot nobody wants to touch. Salespeople told me they just sit and sit. If you want one though - used market sounds great to get a good deal.

I can see the Coupe being a slow seller. Isn't it like 1-2% of all cars sold nowadays? Initial S5 sales should be good and I think they'd just naturally taper down as the car got older. The initial sales being boosted by the fanatics.

-=Hot|Ice=- 04-23-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by hevnsnt (Post 25141735)

8% is awesome.

Trade_it_all_4_more 04-23-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=- (Post 25142512)
8% is awesome.

Agreed. Granted everything varies locally based on supply and demand. About a month ago when I bought mine, the 2 closest dealers had only 4 or 5 S5's in stock. I'm near Chicago, so the dealer I worked with shows 700+ new Audi's in stock. Sales guy said they are typically sold before they hit the lot.

I was somewhere between 6-7% off MSRP, and I got mine via a dealer trade to match the options I wanted. I might be on the short end of the stick with regards to what I got off, but I had a project come up for business where I was going to be making a 4 hour (one-way) drive for work on a weekly basis for a couple of months. I was willing to leave a couple of dollars on the table if that meant I could more of those trips in the new S5.