Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB or 440i GC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm pretty much in the same predicament. i've been owning bmws all my adult live including 3 series, M3s, and upto i8. and since i saw the a5 SB, i'm thinking about switching to audi. driving dynamics/handling is as, if not more, important than the modernized interior. love to hear more about the driving experience that you guys have.

i'm currently sitting a really good offer for 440 GC...waiting for me to make my decision.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The BMW is somewhat of an entertaining car to drive. I've spent a considerable amount of time in one.

It is a bit dated looking now, and, while a SB concept in general isn't everyone's cup of tea, the Audi is, the more attractive car, and I think will age better too.

The biggest downfall the BMW has is value - they plummet.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

The platform of the 440gc is seriously outdated.
The technology is easily a generation BEHIND.
Other than various transmission adjustments such as comfort, sport, and sport plus, unless you pay extra for adaptive suspension, you only adjust shift points.
Also the 440i against the S5 SB or coupe is underpowered.
The 440 is only 325hp very slow at 0-60 about 5.2 seconds
H K Audio has no bass end. No subwoofer at all.
Go for the Audi.
I have been driving a tuned 435 for nearly 3 years at know it well. BMW only changed engine from N55 to B58. Interior verydated of course you have a great offer.
They will stop making 440 soon and go to M440. Save your money or wait but take the S5..
Old 06-28-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jaserion
i'm pretty much in the same predicament. i've been owning bmws all my adult live including 3 series, M3s, and upto i8. and since i saw the a5 SB, i'm thinking about switching to audi. driving dynamics/handling is as, if not more, important than the modernized interior. love to hear more about the driving experience that you guys have.

i'm currently sitting a really good offer for 440 GC...waiting for me to make my decision.

thanks in advance.
Never driven a BMW but have heard great things about them, especially driving dynamics and handling. Probably one of the best, with the exception of Porsches and other high-end exotics (e.g. Lambo's).

I had a Porsche Cayman S and then switched over to Audi. Started with an RS5, an R8 and now the S5 Sportback. Like you, I'm into driving dynamics and handling but the S5 Sportback doesn't disappoint. It's slightly bigger and heavier for sure but it handles well, especially with the right tires (Michelin P4S). I can't throw it around like a Cayman S or an R8 but it's probably as good as it gets. I would say the Cayman S and R8 are sports cars. The RS5 and S5 are sporty cars. I would consider the M3 a sporty car, not a true sports car.

I guess at the end of the day, what excites you? Driving and taking corners fast? Splitting lanes on the highway? I did/do that with all my cars Just that the Cayman S and R8 were more effortless. Out of all the cars, I think I like the S5 Sportback the most given its technology, looks, practicality (4 seats and trunk), engine/exhaust note, and performance (354HP, 0 to 60 in 4.5 I think, Quattro, etc).

I might be a little biased since I've never owned or driven a BMW but it's just my point of view based on the cars I have had and my experience with Audi. And I would say the S5 Sportback is more beautiful than the the 440 GC but that's just me
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I fully agree with Inciner8

I'll think you'll have a bias Audi tendance on a Audi forum. But I understand where you are comming from. I was in the same limbo between S5SB and the 440 with the M perfomance 2 package.

The BMW is definitely fun to drive and an aggressive look outside but inside... ouch back in the '80s.

Audi is light years in front of BMW in regards of interior design, not even mentioning the Virtual cockpit.

At the end you spend more time in your car than looking it outside.

I don't regret my Audi choice not a bit. One of my friend who got recently a new BMW... went damn, Should had gone with Audi.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
I was al set on the S version after coming from my 3.0T a6 with sline. I drove the BMW and inside of Audi is no comparison a huge step up.

as for S5 vs A5 like other poster the 2.0 surprised me so much with perfomanxe and sound and the S5 lack of emotion from the supercharger That I saved $15k and got what I wanted lol.

no bashing the s5 is great and fast but for me the 2.0 was not slow by any means
One thing to note is if you are leasing or buying.

If you are buying, you will indeed save money. However, if you are leasing, the A5 leases out much worse from what I have seen. Residuals on some are less than 50%. The opposite is true for the S5. The one I am leasing has a residual almost 65%. That makes my lease payment and one for a prestige A5 really close.

Thought I would throw that out there for those not purchasing.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Linking a very recent comparison test between the S5 coupé and 440i (RWD), which also included the Infiniti Q60 Red, although that didn't really compete.

Audi had more punch, better ride, and better handling than the 440i. BMW engine was sweeter, and worked better with the ZF8HP.

Exactly what I found when I was comparing them. I like the BMW a lot, it just feels very natural to drive. But it also feels old, and it most certainly is not the ultimate driving machine. Even journalists are starting to admit as much.

Car Advice: audi-s5-v-2017-bmw-440i-v-2017-infiniti-q60-red-sport-comparison/
Old 08-19-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Linking a very recent comparison test between the S5 coupé and 440i (RWD), which also included the Infiniti Q60 Red, although that didn't really compete.

Audi had more punch, better ride, and better handling than the 440i. BMW engine was sweeter, and worked better with the ZF8HP.

Exactly what I found when I was comparing them. I like the BMW a lot, it just feels very natural to drive. But it also feels old, and it most certainly is not the ultimate driving machine. Even journalists are starting to admit as much.

Car Advice: audi-s5-v-2017-bmw-440i-v-2017-infiniti-q60-red-sport-comparison/
Glisse, ,so true.
Right now in the 3-4 series size vehicle, BMW does not have a car in the race.
Perhaps next summer with the M340i and an increase in HP for their twin turbo V6 they might. For now Audi has the flag.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the a5 SB and 430i gc.

But I don't like the 430i exhaust it looks tacky.

440i looks better but I don't need 6 cylinder.

That is why I prefer the a5 sb
Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybebuyaudi
I like the a5 SB and 430i gc.

But I don't like the 430i exhaust it looks tacky.

440i looks better but I don't need 6 cylinder.

That is why I prefer the a5 sb
I think there is some magic in the BMW straight 6 engine (not every version though). Which their 4 cylinder engine doesn't have. I prefer the feel of the EA888 4 cylinder engine in the Audi myself.

Quick Reply: S5 SB or 440i GC?