Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB or 440i GC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I found my new car. The A5 SB test drive went so well that I've decided to order one. The S5 is certainly brilliant too - all that hp and torque is fun. The A5 just fits the sweet spot for me though, power is far more than adequate, DSG shifting is sublime. The car feels light and athletic, and sounds great too. For my money, the A5 provides everything that I would need it to so the S5 upgrade makes less sense for my needs. I'll probably burn a little less gas, get more tread life, pay less insurance $, but get just as many speeding tickets.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

There was one thing that annoyed me (and it could just be me) when I test drove the BMW 4-Series GC and that was the extra labeling they put on the car.

You have the 2 "GranCoupe" badges on the small rear side windows which look to me like cheap plastic stuck on with double sided tape. I'm assuming you could remove those if you wanted to.

Then there was a label on the front windshield under the camera top center that basically advertised the car had the driver assistance package I think (I don't remember the exact wording of the label). Some of the car in the lot didn't have this label so it seemed to be related to a package or option and it looked like it was under the glass so you couldn't scrape it off.

Last edited by heymoe; 05-10-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fullspeed
Well, I think I found my new car. The A5 SB test drive went so well that I've decided to order one. The S5 is certainly brilliant too - all that hp and torque is fun. The A5 just fits the sweet spot for me though, power is far more than adequate, DSG shifting is sublime. The car feels light and athletic, and sounds great too. For my money, the A5 provides everything that I would need it to so the S5 upgrade makes less sense for my needs. I'll probably burn a little less gas, get more tread life, pay less insurance $, but get just as many speeding tickets.
Congrats fullspeed. It's great when less really is more. Share your specs and delivery timeframe when you can.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
Congrats fullspeed. It's great when less really is more. Share your specs and delivery timeframe when you can.
2018 Audi A5 Sportback Premium Plus
Ibis White
Grey interior
Aluminum Trimaran trim
S-Line pkg
Ventilated seats
Nav pkg
B&O sound
18" all season tires
Audi Guard Protection Kit (all weather mats/cargo)

ETA is 3-4 months. Current lease expires in 5.5 months but I'm anxious.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

digital dash (not needed) is extra since there's a ~8 inch central screen; sport diff is a must! -back hatch is great for stuff and the design is very modern; small tank ~15.3 gals. / sport seats are the best for support and massage; in NJ, Paul Miller Audi has a new white/red S5 loaded for $65k, lists @ $69k so you decide. Red interior is quite appealing(muted/a bit dark red), does not seem extreme since the leather is first class and cross/diamond stiched. Wheels if 18'' are ok but I prefer 19''

good luck!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If I go the sportback route I would be interested in the comparison between 430i and a5 SB

I am also tied between compact crossover and hatch back sedan.

Monday x3 2018 will be revealed so it's that or q5 or 430i or a5 sb.

decisions decisions
Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

In my opinion; the 440i is unattractive and dated.

The A5 SB is the opposite.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N8!
In my opinion; the 440i is unattractive and dated.

The A5 SB is the opposite.
I would agree too, I test drove the 430i/440i & A5 SB back to back. The 430i/440i is old & the build quality is not as good as the A5 SB. The one I drove was excessively noisy when it started up & took forever to cool the car. The Audi is just better.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was al set on the S version after coming from my 3.0T a6 with sline. I drove the BMW and inside of Audi is no comparison a huge step up.

as for S5 vs A5 like other poster the 2.0 surprised me so much with perfomanxe and sound and the S5 lack of emotion from the supercharger That I saved $15k and got what I wanted lol.

no bashing the s5 is great and fast but for me the 2.0 was not slow by any means
Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fullspeed
Fullspeed, you made a great decision. Having had my '17 A4 for 9 months and 5k miles, I think you will be quite satisfied. I traded a '15 S5 for it and every time I drive it I question why I would need an "S" model again. Audi has done such a remarkable job with the 2.0t and DSG tranny, it is amazing to drive. The only thing I wish is that the Sportback had been out when I was looking! Sexy car.

Quick Reply: S5 SB or 440i GC?