Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB Black Optics Parts or Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

So far just the window trim. Will probably do the real valance next and then eventually the front grill. Not sure about the emblems, I'm leaning on leaving them alone for now.

Overall it was an easy DIY project. Took some time with it since it was the first time I've worked with vinyl and some of the tolerances on the trim are very tight. There are a few areas that I'm not 100% happy with and would probably have come out better with more practice, but they are almost impossible to see unless you get up real close and try to find them, so I'm not going to fuss over them.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For those of your waiting to order 2019's, BO is now available on the S5 (page 39):
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2019orderguideJuly.pdf (4.57 MB, 268 views)

Last edited by audi40; 07-14-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the crash bar behind the grill? I’ll be putting in an RS style grill also and am thinking about wrapping it instead of painting. Might be less effort and less wait time.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdc1023

I had mine wrapped. Everything was done on the car except the rings which they had to remove to wrap. The did the trim around the windows and the front grill in black. They also did the rear spoiler lip and the chrome band above the rear diffuser in carbon fiber. I think I paid about $300 for the whole job.
$300!! I got one quote from a shop in the Atlanta area for mine,, $850
I guess I need to keep looking.

Edit: I just called another shop. $1500, not including the rings.

Last edited by Waggin; 03-18-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did you get your wrap done?

I noticed your NY plate. Do you mind letting me know who did your wrap job. It looks great I have a 2019 S5 sportback I want to wrap the trim back half of roof, grille, and spoiler. If you could share that would be wonderful I can also be reached at my email jasengeraghty@gmail.com. Thanks

QUOTE=Jdc1023;25175161]

Spoiler

l

I had mine wrapped. Everything was done on the car except the rings which they had to remove to wrap. The did the trim around the windows and the front grill in black. They also did the rear spoiler lip and the chrome band above the rear diffuser in carbon fiber. I think I paid about $300 for the whole job.
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blacked out (satin 3m) an Audi a few years ago and it was fun...about a 3 beer job to do the windows. Grill took longer. Hair dryer is a big help.Lasted for 3 years without a problem. Plastidipped a set of wheels............not so much.
Have black rings for installation when it warms up . Not sure how to do badge on door/fender.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take a pry tool and pry from the corners and bottom they will pop right off. Not the top, stay away from the top. Then you can wrap them.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

After two years of enjoying my '19 S5 SB in Manhattan grey in stock condition, I'm finally looking to change things up. First thing is first is a chrome delete and these pics look great.

Hoping to get your thoughtful opinions:

Grille - I've seen a lot of variants on blacking this component out; very curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on what to reveal in chrome, if anything:
---- satin black w/ gloss back trim/edges; rings & S5 badge (save the red) completely blacked out --- VERSUS --- same but w/ rings & S5 badge left in chrome --- VERSUS -- same thing but S5 badge left in chrome only
(I'm also debating replacing the grille entirely with a black honeycomb - can't seem to find a decent source to ship to canada and would need a quote on installation)

- front end lower vent trimmings - satin black vs gloss ?

- side mirrors - gloss black

- chrome trimming on windows - gloss black

- fender badges - debating gloss black entirely (save red) or leaving the S5 chrome and everything else black

- trunk lip - gloss black

- rear diffuser - chrome to gloss black but leaving diffuser grey vs. chrome to gloss black and rear diffuser changed to a satin black

- rear Audi rings & S5 badge changed to satin black (save red)

- Exhaust - Seems there is no way to replace the tips only as they are spot welded on; I'm not looking to replace the exhaust system to achieve de-chroming; I see others have had the exhaust tips dipped to a satin/matte finish (which seems the most viable option atm); curious to know if there are slip-on modifications for our B9's?

Appreciate any thoughts and additional pics anyone has!
Old 03-24-2021, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Doing some more digging and found some pics others may appreciate. Loving the gloss black around the window trim, but that satin black ... boy does it looks sharp on the mirror caps and particularly the grille.

Brushed metal black wrap with gloss black dechrome:

Satin vs. Gloss wrap

Gloss black dechrome with liquid dipped grille

Example SQ8 with black satin finish to delete the chrome; removable apparently which is great given our tail pipes are spot welded:

Old 01-20-2022, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also deleting the chrome off my S5. I’m having a hard time finding part numbers for the black window trim (I can’t do the vinyl I drive on dirt roads). I contacted Audi, the parts guy gave me wrong part number

Quick Reply: S5 SB Black Optics Parts or Wrap?