Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB Drive Feel vs A7, S6

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 SB Drive Feel vs A7, S6

Hi folks. I'm new to Audi and have never driven one before, but am strongly considering a S5 SB as my new daily driver sometime in the next year or so. I currently drive a 2013 Subaru WRX hatchback and am considering the change to Audi for the combination of luxury and sportiness.

Has anyone had experience behind the wheel of an S5 sportback, A7, and S6 and can comment on the differences? I fell in love with the styling of the A7/S7, but a new S7 is out of reach for my budget. It would be a stretch but an A7 would be more achievable, but I worry the additional weight compared to my WRX and lack of S package would make it feel like driving a big ol' boat. A barebones S6 is another option to get the sporty feel, but even still I'd be afraid of the land yacht effect. The S5 seems like a good balance and at a good price point which is why I'm leaning towards if, but I want to get more info to see if the other two are even contenders.

​​​​​​​Pardon my ignorance, but again I have zero experience with Audis. Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I previously had a 2013 S5 coupe which I loved but ended up being a bit too small once I had a child so I traded that in for a 2014 A7 which is what I am currently driving. The A7 is a fantastic all around car, very practical and comfortable while still being plenty quick and somewhat fun to drive. It is in no way in the same league as the S5 in sportiness and fun but for someone who needs a bigger car it is a fine machine. That said my S5 Sportback should be arriving any day now and I absolutely cannot wait!

Originally Posted by foxonwheels
Hi folks. I'm new to Audi and have never driven one before, but am strongly considering a S5 SB as my new daily driver sometime in the next year or so. I currently drive a 2013 Subaru WRX hatchback and am considering the change to Audi for the combination of luxury and sportiness and fun

Has anyone had experience behind the wheel of an S5 sportback, A7, and S6 and can comment on the differences? I fell in love with the styling of the A7/S7, but a new S7 is out of reach for my budget. It would be a stretch but an A7 would be more achievable, but I worry the additional weight compared to my WRX and lack of S package would make it feel like driving a big ol' boat. A barebones S6 is another option to get the sporty feel, but even still I'd be afraid of the land yacht effect. The S5 seems like a good balance and at a good price point which is why I'm leaning towards if, but I want to get more info to see if the other two are even contenders.

Pardon my ignorance, but again I have zero experience with Audis. Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

You should, of course, drive all of them yourself.

I came from an A7 3.0TFSI, which I had for 6 years. It was a European car, so had S tronic dual clutch transmission, Sport diff, and S/Line chassis suspension, which had a 30mm drop and was not available in the US.

I really liked the car, but wanted to move to something smaller - the A7 is very wide for European conditions. The S6 is usefully narrower, and I was on the cusp of ordering one. I like the V8, and I like the S tronic. But I ultimately found it just too soft and cumbersome - more so than my A7. The air suspension is the only type available on the S6, and land yacht is how it feels. A very pleasant yacht, and wonderful on longer drives. What you lose in agility with a longer wheelbase, you gain in comfort.

The other issue is that the A7/S6 are the last of the MLB cars. The Q7, A4, A5, Q5 ranges have moved to the new MLB Evo platform. The (D5) A8 moves later this year, and next year comes the (C8) A6 and A7. I think the new platform is quite an improvement.

I think you would like the S5 Sportback. If you end up wanting even more sport, but but much less refinement, try an RS3.