Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB: need a new windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default S5 SB: need a new windshield

And then this happened this morning. Could have been much worse, of course.

Need to get a place to replace my windshield. Other than requiring OEM glass, what do I need to know? First car needing a new windshield ever, and also my first car with a HUD.

Any Bay Area people have a good place they recommend?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh man...bummer!

That glass may be just a tad hard to come by...
Old 09-25-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Yikes! Good call on demanding OEM glass especially seeing as you have HUD. Aftermarket glass can cause issues with that as well as with the rain sensor, which you will need a new gel pad for. So ask about the rain sensor. If you have DAP, the camera may need to be recalibrated too. Call your dealer and ask.

Don't let the newness of the car scare you, glass shouldn't be too hard to source. Audi plans for this stuff.

Hey, this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to chime in and say that my 2018 S4 has this exact same little hole-punch-shaped deformity in the black dots on the edge of the glass too, in case anyone else out there has noticed it and said "WTF" like I did recently. My hole-punch is on the passenger side, though...I guess I'll have to look and see if I also have a second one near where yours is. (Fun trivia fact, the official term for the black edge of the windshield is called the frit.) https://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-o...on-windshield/

Last edited by mplsbrian; 09-25-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default dealer service advisor response

haha no idea about the frit hole, but that sounds really dirty.

This could be a lot worse, no one was hurt and the rock decided to spare my new XPEL-covered hood and go right for the non-deductible windshield. I just have to learn never to go on US-101 near me, I hate that road.

My dealer (Audi Stevens Creek) already let me know that it's no problem for them to source the "dealer OEM glass" and they do the repair with a third party they use to put in the windshield itself at the dealership. They remove all of the cowling around the windshield and they also tell me:

"Your car will need calibrations for the heads up display and for the Audi pre-sense front camera as well with the windshield being removed. The other feature that needs calibration when a windshield is replaced is the lane assist"

Sounds like something I'm not having anyone touch but the Audi dealer that I like and trust with my car.

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Yikes! Good call on demanding OEM glass especially seeing as you have HUD. Aftermarket glass can cause issues with that as well as with the rain sensor, which you will need a new gel pad for. So ask about the rain sensor. If you have DAP, the camera may need to be recalibrated too. Call your dealer and ask.

Don't let the newness of the car scare you, glass shouldn't be too hard to source. Audi plans for this stuff.

Hey, this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to chime in and say that my 2018 S4 has this exact same little hole-punch-shaped deformity in the black dots on the edge of the glass too, in case anyone else out there has noticed it and said "WTF" like I did recently. My hole-punch is on the passenger side, though...I guess I'll have to look and see if I also have a second one near where yours is. (Fun trivia fact, the official term for the black edge of the windshield is called the frit.) https://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-o...on-windshield/

Old 09-25-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would think at this time an OEM windshield would be your only choice...
Old 09-25-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
I would think at this time an OEM windshield would be your only choice...
Yes, and dealer will be replacing and doing all of the calibrations on it next Monday, and giving me a loaner, etc. In the meanwhile the crack has grown a lot sitting out in the heat, nearly half my windshield now.

When is it unsafe to drive with a large crack?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
Yes, and dealer will be replacing and doing all of the calibrations on it next Monday, and giving me a loaner, etc. In the meanwhile the crack has grown a lot sitting out in the heat, nearly half my windshield now.

When is it unsafe to drive with a large crack?
The front windshield is laminated so it will actually stay together but impair your view and more and more cracks would spider. Also could cause leaks and you would fail your state inspection. As a former firefighter, we'd actually cut through through the front windshield with a saw when necessary. This is opposed to all of the other windows which are tempered and not laminated so they shatter into tiny pieces with one sharp blow.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

The windshield is structurally integral to the car so try not to get in any accidents while you have a compromised windshield.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, my view is less than ideal right now. Knock on wood, I'm not planning to get in any accidents before next Monday when a dealer visit is scheduled!

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The windshield is structurally integral to the car so try not to get in any accidents while you have a compromised windshield.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes...no track days for you!

Quick Reply: S5 SB: need a new windshield