Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default For the Rest of US---Look on the Bright Side

I think it is fine that this is your last Audi. According to the Law of Supply and Demand, the more you don't want another Audi and the more people your complaints turn them off of Audi then demand for Audi goes down. As demand goes down, then prices go down as well. That is good for the rest of us. SOOO, keep up your belly acheing. You are doing the rest of us a favor. Better yet, go over to the BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, etc. forum and belly ache there. You will feel better and so will the rest of us.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default well Slides...

Originally Posted by Slides
Oh oh. I hope the one or two Audi pro-lag fanboys don't accuse you guys of being alts of mine. One of the pro throttle lag guys on here told me that I've "only" driven my car for a 1,000 miles and it's still "learning". Lol, none of my other cars had to learn how to correctly respond to gas pedal input.

Completely agree with you guys. Some of us have learned to live with it, but that's not acceptable. The fact that the car defaults to D mode on restart and you can't even leave it in S mode, makes this even more egregious.
The only learning mode is Auto, and I'm sure it doesn't take 1000 miles. On the other hand, my car wasn't fully broken in for about 2500 miles. Along with a significant increase in fuel economy there was some modest improvement in throttle smoothness under light loads and the excessive accelerator travel is reduced a little too. But the occasional non-linearity is still evident, and the tip-in is way too limp for a performance car - even in an economy mode. It seems there is evidence that Audi is addressing the transmission (at least in Europe), but I'm afraid that may be only one side of the problem.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Threads like this had me really worried while waiting for my car. Now that I have it (only 250km so far) I can relax. Throttle response feels OK in Drive and fine in Sports. Moreover, swapping between those two is so easy and intuitive that I think it will become second nature. In fact "intuitive" is a great word to sum up this car for me. Just about every aspect of it feels so right that, in time, I'll overlook some of the styling foibles (mainly around the front) that almost put me off. I'm coming from a BMW 428i, that I thought was a great little car. In hindsight, with the perspective gained from my initial experience with the Audi, the BMW was really pretty ordinary.

I guess I'm in the honeymoon phase, but this is looking like a very promising relationship. I must find the thread on seat comfort, because that had me worried too, especially as I had some reservations during the test drive. I'm delighted to report that I've never felt more comfortable in a car.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where to find the software version on your car and what the versions are, number for previous software with issue and new software version number with the fix, my car has just arrived and i want to check what's actually on it, thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm going thru the S5 forum gathering info. I just dumped my 2016 S6 - with quite a few mods including EPL tunes. Also have a 2018 Q7 Prestige.

Slides is not off base here. I had the same lag in my S6 - with over 450hp stock was ridiculous. It was even worse in the event you had pulled up to a stop, and then had to put it in reverse...it took WAY TOO long to engage before you could back up. Very dangerous in certain situations. My EPL ecu and tcu tunes remedied it. But then you run the risk of the dreaded TD1. I was sorry to read of this on the S5 - and potentially the RS5 which I am also considering. It is not the same with my Q7...guessing it has to do with the Supercharged V6 and tranny which are older versions - assuming the kinks are worked out.

Slides - don't listen to those who criticize you. You have the right to your opinion. And noone should really treat you like that in a forum. I've had 67 cars and been on many forums...some good, some not. Don't let one person deter you from being here.

I loved so much of my S6 and easily sunk 10k in mods. But the things I hated ended up winning over them.

Also - so everyone knows...I had a 2016 S5 as well. I didn't have it that long but I don't remember any of this issue.

This thread was particularly useful for a mental note when I drive both the S5 and RS5 SB.

Last edited by parkstr8; 05-03-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

It's awful, just plain and simple. D mode makes the car respond like a '95 Crown Victoria and is just plain dangerous to use for anything but highway cruising. Even in S mode, which cures most of the lag, it still has issues at low speeds-- basically an overall feeling of heavy lethargy. I guess I'm even more sensitive to it than most, as this is my first automatic I've ever owned, and my previous car was a 2014 S4 manual. I can tell you that in comparison to my old S4, this car feels like a land barge. If someone told me they could transplant the transmission from my old S4 into this car for 2k, I would pony it up in a heartbeat. For those that say "just put it in S", I'm sorry, 50% of the transmission's functionality shouldn't be useless, and I shouldn't have to live with 16mpg just to get something resembling mediocre responsiveness. In the time since owning this car I've driven a Honda Accord and base Mustang, and both transmissions were far smoother than my S5.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surpised to read your lament. I have an '18 S5 SB with 3200 miles on the clock. Most of the time I use Comfort although Sport is useful if you are doing a lot of around town driving where Comfort mode is putting you at exactly 1000 rpm. That is why I used Sport for this.
Coming from a 2010 S4 manual, GIAC stage one, I do not find the S5 slower at all. In fact, the mid range is superior to the Ste 1 GIAC tune that I had on the S4.!

Mileage is slightly better on the S5, I get about 28 on the road (at HIGH average speeds0 and about 22 around urban areas.

Regarding lag, I don't really have any to speak of (assuming the dreaded stop start is disengaged)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajack
I am surpised to read your lament. I have an '18 S5 SB with 3200 miles on the clock. Most of the time I use Comfort although Sport is useful if you are doing a lot of around town driving where Comfort mode is putting you at exactly 1000 rpm. That is why I used Sport for this.
Coming from a 2010 S4 manual, GIAC stage one, I do not find the S5 slower at all. In fact, the mid range is superior to the Ste 1 GIAC tune that I had on the S4.!

Mileage is slightly better on the S5, I get about 28 on the road (at HIGH average speeds0 and about 22 around urban areas.

Regarding lag, I don't really have any to speak of (assuming the dreaded stop start is disengaged)
This really makes me wonder if not all the S5's are affected then, because I am no "car afficianado" by any means and I sensed the problem right off the dealer lot. To me it's not even subjective-- in D mode the car is barely drivable in anything but a scenario where you don't need responsiveness, such as cruising down an empty highway, otherwise there is a 1-2 second lag in getting power to the wheels. Even my girlfriend, to whom a car is nothing more than a mobile makeup/telephone booth and drives an Infiniti QX50, took it for a drive and simply told me that the pedal responsiveness "feels like Jello".

I want to reiterate though that the problem is not that the car isn't fast-- it's plenty fast if you floor the pedal off the line. The problem is predictable and smooth acceleration. I think the best demonstration of this is to try and keep a predictable and measured distance between you and the car in front of you when a stoplight turns green and he accelerates forward. What I find is that the Toyota Yaris in front of me will actually pull forward faster unless I mash the pedal, in which case I launch forward and risk rear ending him. The car is just very lethargic at tip-in. Basically the ratio of acceleration to pedal movement is non linear. Pushing the pedal the first X inches achieves little acceleration, which pushing it another half inch and suddenly you get a rush of juice. It just leads to a very disconnected feeling between you and the car.

Also no clue how you are managing 28mpg. I drive 8 miles each way to work, approximately 50% city/highway, and get 21mpg in D mode, and 16mpg in S.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

The lag was there when I first picked up my car but it is completely gone for me now. It's interesting that everyone is experiencing these issues.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore
The car is just very lethargic at tip-in...
THIS...in a nutshell.

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough