Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore

I want to reiterate though that the problem is not that the car isn't fast-- it's plenty fast if you floor the pedal off the line. The problem is predictable and smooth acceleration. I think the best demonstration of this is to try and keep a predictable and measured distance between you and the car in front of you when a stoplight turns green and he accelerates forward. What I find is that the Toyota Yaris in front of me will actually pull forward faster unless I mash the pedal, in which case I launch forward and risk rear ending him. The car is just very lethargic at tip-in. Basically the ratio of acceleration to pedal movement is non linear. Pushing the pedal the first X inches achieves little acceleration, which pushing it another half inch and suddenly you get a rush of juice. It just leads to a very disconnected feeling between you and the car.
This. I felt it even in my 15 min test drive. I don’t think it’s a transmission issue.
It really is a shame because the car otherwise is perfect. Awesome handling, great steering, sexy looks.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
I think it is fine that this is your last Audi. According to the Law of Supply and Demand, the more you don't want another Audi and the more people your complaints turn them off of Audi then demand for Audi goes down. As demand goes down, then prices go down as well. That is good for the rest of us. SOOO, keep up your belly acheing. You are doing the rest of us a favor. Better yet, go over to the BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, etc. forum and belly ache there. You will feel better and so will the rest of us.
Never seen anyone get so triggered to the point of such ridiculous posts about a gripe about a car.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by parkstr8
I'm going thru the S5 forum gathering info. I just dumped my 2016 S6 - with quite a few mods including EPL tunes. Also have a 2018 Q7 Prestige.

Slides is not off base here. I had the same lag in my S6 - with over 450hp stock was ridiculous. It was even worse in the event you had pulled up to a stop, and then had to put it in reverse...it took WAY TOO long to engage before you could back up. Very dangerous in certain situations. My EPL ecu and tcu tunes remedied it. But then you run the risk of the dreaded TD1. I was sorry to read of this on the S5 - and potentially the RS5 which I am also considering. It is not the same with my Q7...guessing it has to do with the Supercharged V6 and tranny which are older versions - assuming the kinks are worked out.

Slides - don't listen to those who criticize you. You have the right to your opinion. And noone should really treat you like that in a forum. I've had 67 cars and been on many forums...some good, some not. Don't let one person deter you from being here.

I loved so much of my S6 and easily sunk 10k in mods. But the things I hated ended up winning over them.

Also - so everyone knows...I had a 2016 S5 as well. I didn't have it that long but I don't remember any of this issue.

This thread was particularly useful for a mental note when I drive both the S5 and RS5 SB.
Thank you parkstr8. I've been accused of being a troll because I dare mention this issue to potential owners so that they are at least aware, because I was not. Despite the fact that I have also mentioned that the S5 is a near perfect car otherwise. It's like I'm hurting sales comissions of some people on here.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ycore
This really makes me wonder if not all the S5's are affected then, because I am no "car afficianado" by any means and I sensed the problem right off the dealer lot. To me it's not even subjective-- in D mode the car is barely drivable in anything but a scenario where you don't need responsiveness, such as cruising down an empty highway, otherwise there is a 1-2 second lag in getting power to the wheels. Even my girlfriend, to whom a car is nothing more than a mobile makeup/telephone booth and drives an Infiniti QX50, took it for a drive and simply told me that the pedal responsiveness "feels like Jello".

I want to reiterate though that the problem is not that the car isn't fast-- it's plenty fast if you floor the pedal off the line. The problem is predictable and smooth acceleration. I think the best demonstration of this is to try and keep a predictable and measured distance between you and the car in front of you when a stoplight turns green and he accelerates forward. What I find is that the Toyota Yaris in front of me will actually pull forward faster unless I mash the pedal, in which case I launch forward and risk rear ending him. The car is just very lethargic at tip-in. Basically the ratio of acceleration to pedal movement is non linear. Pushing the pedal the first X inches achieves little acceleration, which pushing it another half inch and suddenly you get a rush of juice. It just leads to a very disconnected feeling between you and the car.

Also no clue how you are managing 28mpg. I drive 8 miles each way to work, approximately 50% city/highway, and get 21mpg in D mode, and 16mpg in S.
Perfect description of the problem. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The car is just very lethargic at tip-in. Basically the ratio of acceleration to pedal movement is non linear" is a perfect description of what is happening
I certainly didn't mean for this post to get so emotive .I didn't post this issue to get reactions from anyone. I am new to the forum , have bought a very expensive car and this issue, to me anyway, is a very real issue, whilst it may not be happening to all S5's it is certainly happening to mine and i am not happy about it, I just want it fixed because apart from this it is a fantastic car(except for the boot design , soaking everything inside when it opens!)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmr2
"The car is just very lethargic at tip-in. Basically the ratio of acceleration to pedal movement is non linear" is a perfect description of what is happening
I certainly didn't mean for this post to get so emotive .I didn't post this issue to get reactions from anyone. I am new to the forum , have bought a very expensive car and this issue, to me anyway, is a very real issue, whilst it may not be happening to all S5's it is certainly happening to mine and i am not happy about it, I just want it fixed because apart from this it is a fantastic car(except for the boot design , soaking everything inside when it opens!)
I'm surprise that no one have figured out the throttle lag problem and how to avoid it. It's fairly simple. In D mode, you start in 2nd gear and that's also the lowest gear that the transmission drops to as you slow down or come to a stop. As long as you accelerate at a moderate rate, it will stay in 2nd gear and you don't get lag. However, if you stomp on the gas, the car will down shift to 1st gear before applying the throttle signal. That's where your 1/2 sec lag comes in (and you're slower off the line than using moderate throttle). It easy to learn the throttle position that will cause the down shift and avoid it. It's not like this car is slow even starting in 2nd gear. I've made left turns and crossed busy intersections without problem but if the cross traffic is really bad, then just shift into S mode for a bit.

There is a transmission software update that just went out in the UK that delayed the downshift from 2nd gear till you press further down so it might make it across the pond soon. Otherwise, just drive in S mode.

Last edited by Wiz33; 05-03-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't ever switch to "D"rive mode unless I am at speed on the freeway, and then if it's a longer trip with light traffic, I add the comfort mode - but most always I'm Dynamic and on "S"port - why would anyone ever use D in city or suburban roads anyway? I guess I have noticed a slight lag in D mode when I first got the car, but not extreme - kind of expect that, no?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wiz33
I'm surprise that no one have figured out the throttle lag problem and how to avoid it. It's fairly simple. In D mode, you start in 2nd gear and that's also the lowest gear that the transmission drops to as you slow down or come to a stop. As long as you accelerate at a moderate rate, it will stay in 2nd gear and you don't get lag. However, if you stomp on the gas, the car will down shift to 1st gear before applying the throttle signal. That's where your 1/2 sec lag comes in (and you're slower off the line than using moderate throttle). It easy to learn the throttle position that will cause the down shift and avoid it. It's not like this car is slow even starting in 2nd gear. I've made left turns and crossed busy intersections without problem but if the cross traffic is really bad, then just shift into S mode for a bit.

There is a transmission software update that just went out in the UK that delayed the downshift from 2nd gear till you press further down so it might make it across the pond soon. Otherwise, just drive in S mode.
Yes, that does help most of the time, but you end up driving like a grandma with the slow acceleration.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tony M
Threads like this had me really worried while waiting for my car. Now that I have it (only 250km so far) I can relax. Throttle response feels OK in Drive and fine in Sports. Moreover, swapping between those two is so easy and intuitive that I think it will become second nature. In fact "intuitive" is a great word to sum up this car for me. Just about every aspect of it feels so right that, in time, I'll overlook some of the styling foibles (mainly around the front) that almost put me off. I'm coming from a BMW 428i, that I thought was a great little car. In hindsight, with the perspective gained from my initial experience with the Audi, the BMW was really pretty ordinary.

I guess I'm in the honeymoon phase, but this is looking like a very promising relationship. I must find the thread on seat comfort, because that had me worried too, especially as I had some reservations during the test drive. I'm delighted to report that I've never felt more comfortable in a car.
This is a refreshing post for an owner-in-waiting!

I'm wondering if people are having different experiences because there are so many permutations of settings. There is the drive select, where you can set everything to dynamic, auto or comfort, and then individual where you indicate one of those three options for each component of the car. And in addition to that, you also have the gear selector - D or S. I would imagine that all of these interact with each other in some way to produce a wide variety of results. For example, what's the difference between putting the transmission into dynamic mode and putting the gear selector into S? I'd love for this foum to stop bitching at each other and map out a set of preferred settings that are good for sporty every day driving - a good baseline.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
You rev higher in S mode at idle. It disables auto start stop. Worse mpgs. Worse for a car after cold start. Plus it defaults to D mode with you restart the car. This is not a real solution. Love the car otherwise, but this will be my last Audi because of this.
Higher revs at idle are negligible. Disabling start/stop is a positive by many people here. In my experience the increase in fuel usage is about 5%, or less than 2 gallons every 1000 miles or around tankful every 10,000 miles. It also defaults to 'D' when you change the drive select mode to Comfort or Auto, but pulling back the stick shouldn't really be considered much of a hardship, no more than having to press the start button.

It really may be time for you to let this issue go. You seem totally obsessed by it, or more accurately you have become obsessed by how some other poster on this board called you out for your original obsession over it. Jut let it go man. It's not worth it and these posts are just getting tiresome for the rest of us.

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough