Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough

Old 09-21-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recalled the oil level was at a quarter above minimum when I brought it in to my dealership.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think I drove it too aggressively despite the enjoyment of driving this car. Actually, I was surprised myself when they told me I had 3/32 on the front tires and 4's on the rear. Originally tires were Continental Contisportcontact 5. I read a few reviews that these tires average about 10k so I decided to replaced them with Conti's Extreme Contact DWS06 which I had good luck with them from my previous vehicles.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JakePlummer
My car just left the shop from service and a "software update".

From what I can report, I detect a new graphics interface (lightly modified) for maps and route guidance and yes....and updated transmission package that addresses the jerkiness and lack of response.
Don't leave us hanging here man, we need more info!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcp07
I didn't think I drove it too aggressively despite the enjoyment of driving this car. Actually, I was surprised myself when they told me I had 3/32 on the front tires and 4's on the rear. Originally tires were Continental Contisportcontact 5. I read a few reviews that these tires average about 10k so I decided to replaced them with Conti's Extreme Contact DWS06 which I had good luck with them from my previous vehicles.
‘that’s interesting, you are going from summer tires to all season, let us know your impression please. The dws06 is actually rated good in the tire rack for light snow.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-22-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I've changed camps. I'm 3,000 miles in now, and the jerkiness and lack of predictability that computer affords the throttle is getting to be very annoying. It's noticeable in S, but definitely more so in D. It has gotten embarrassingly bad. It's like the transmission has no idea what it's doing and can't make up it's mind when you give it various throttle inputs. I would never call it "dangerous", as it has been referred to in this thread, but it needs to be remedied ASAP.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default my car has changed camps...

Originally Posted by freshpow78
Ok, I've changed camps. I'm 3,000 miles in now, and the jerkiness and lack of predictability that computer affords the throttle is getting to be very annoying. It's noticeable in S, but definitely more so in D. It has gotten embarrassingly bad. It's like the transmission has no idea what it's doing and can't make up it's mind when you give it various throttle inputs. I would never call it "dangerous", as it has been referred to in this thread, but it needs to be remedied ASAP.
Now at about 13,500 km. there is no hint of the torque converter stalls, unexpected bogging down and non-linearity - other than the normal effects of kickdown and coming on boost - that plagued the throttle in D (Auto) when new. Compared to my 2014 BMW 435i xDrive in Comfort it still feels a little indirect and hesitant but it is no longer an issue. As I recall the symptoms disappeared around the 8,000 km. mark.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Now at about 13,500 km. there is no hint of the torque converter stalls, unexpected bogging down and non-linearity - other than the normal effects of kickdown and coming on boost - that plagued the throttle in D (Auto) when new. Compared to my 2014 BMW 435i xDrive in Comfort it still feels a little indirect and hesitant but it is no longer an issue. As I recall the symptoms disappeared around the 8,000 km. mark.
Huh. Funny how that works. I still get the delay about 50% of the time when leaving my street from a stop sign in Auto D. At 3,600 miles now. There's a little bit of an incline from the stop sign, which seems to make it worse.

Strangely, Comfort mode seems to be bit better overall in D.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the latest on the case from the Motor Ombudsman

Please add this number in all future email responses only to The Motor Ombudsman.

Having reviewed your correspondence, we believe that your case requires further investigation and have therefore referred your case for adjudication.

We have forwarded a copy of your case to Volkswagen Group UK Limited - Audi and have asked them to provide us with their side of the story.

Please ensure you have provided all information or evidence you wish to be considered within the next 10 working days if you have not already done so.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by freshpow78
All I can say is that it gets better as the miles adds on. Most of my problem was before 5000 miles. Although I can reproduce the problem if I really work at it now but it doesn't really happens on day to day driving.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Yea, now that I have almost 10K miles on the car. I can only get it to happen if I really work at it but don't see it in day to day.

Last edited by Wiz33; 09-24-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough