Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportsback Limp Mode

Old 10-28-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cooling fan update

It has been 10 days since the dealer identified the issue with the cooling fan. I requested a status update and was told that the special ordered electric fan is still on “red order”. Our parts department was informed that the order will get filled within the next 3 to 5 business days before it goes to customs and then our way.

If I am interpreting this correctly, It may leave be ready to leave Germany in a week and then take another week to arrive in the US. Add a couple of days to clear US customs and be delivered to the dealer and get installed. It could be that the car will be in the shop for a month before the dealer can tell if the new cooling fan fixes the issue with the car going into limp mode. I am not familiar with the term red order but the color conveys a since of urgency. I guess they won't issue a technical service bulletin until they fix the supply chain and get a bunch of these cooling fans into the states.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
It has been 10 days since the dealer identified the issue with the cooling fan. I requested a status update and was told that the special ordered electric fan is still on “red order”. Our parts department was informed that the order will get filled within the next 3 to 5 business days before it goes to customs and then our way.

If I am interpreting this correctly, It may leave be ready to leave Germany in a week and then take another week to arrive in the US. Add a couple of days to clear US customs and be delivered to the dealer and get installed. It could be that the car will be in the shop for a month before the dealer can tell if the new cooling fan fixes the issue with the car going into limp mode. I am not familiar with the term red order but the color conveys a since of urgency. I guess they won't issue a technical service bulletin until they fix the supply chain and get a bunch of these cooling fans into the states.
Just curious in this scenario where the car is in the shop for a long time due to an Audi defect are they obliged to pay for a rental for you or just give you a long time loaner?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
I ordered my car in March and took delivery of my Sportsback in July and have 4500 miles on it. Nardo Grey with red interior. I traded in my 2014 S5. It is great that there is more torque and that it is available at ~1350 rpms. This past weekend it went into limp mode and the maximum engine speed warning indicated that it was 3500 rpms. Yesterday the dealer told me that there was a faulty coolant fan and that they needed to order the replacement parts. Since they have not worked on many of these new engines, they contacted Audi engineering for assistance. It looks like this is a known issue and a TSB will be forthcoming. Just so you know.
When Audi issues a TSB do they fix the known problem ahead of time or wait until the unit fails in each car?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default loaner car

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
Just curious in this scenario where the car is in the shop for a long time due to an Audi defect are they obliged to pay for a rental for you or just give you a long time loaner?
I am not sure how each dealer handles this situation. The better ones provide a loaner car or a rental. If they are customer focused then they will do their best to accommodate you. Probably won't get an S car.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JKB - looks like I was hit with the same issue on my 2018 S5, with the Maximum Engine Speed: 3500 RPM and the Engine Control warnings. Except that my dealer is telling me they have to replace the ABS controller, which of course is back-ordered - rep didn't know how long it would take, but I'm thinking 3 or 4 weeks minimum (he guessed 2 weeks). Another S5 owner at the same dealership got the same warnings, except the dealer is ordering a different part to fix the problem (and it's not the cooling fan that they're ordering for you). Fact is, they don't know what it is, and their diagnostics are giving them different answers that make no sense - seriously, ABS controller? No TSB's out yet, and Audi Canada customer service was useless. I always said "never buy the first model year....." - live and learn.

Anyone else hear about the same issue? My fear is that they'll replace the part, but won't fix the problem.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
When Audi issues a TSB do they fix the known problem ahead of time or wait until the unit fails in each car?
Wait until it fails, you can ask for a TSB to be serviced early and sometimes if they are sure it will happen eventually they will do it.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gecko1100
JKB - looks like I was hit with the same issue on my 2018 S5, with the Maximum Engine Speed: 3500 RPM and the Engine Control warnings. Except that my dealer is telling me they have to replace the ABS controller, which of course is back-ordered - rep didn't know how long it would take, but I'm thinking 3 or 4 weeks minimum (he guessed 2 weeks). Another S5 owner at the same dealership got the same warnings, except the dealer is ordering a different part to fix the problem (and it's not the cooling fan that they're ordering for you). Fact is, they don't know what it is, and their diagnostics are giving them different answers that make no sense - seriously, ABS controller? No TSB's out yet, and Audi Canada customer service was useless. I always said "never buy the first model year....." - live and learn.

Anyone else hear about the same issue? My fear is that they'll replace the part, but won't fix the problem.
Service tech followed up and corrected his earlier statement. Problem actually does stem from the cooling fan module which has to be replaced - 2 other customers with the S5 SB came in with the same problem. There's a TSB on it, but unfortunately, parts are back-ordered. I'll be driving the loaner for a while.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default November 03 update

Originally Posted by gecko1100
Service tech followed up and corrected his earlier statement. Problem actually does stem from the cooling fan module which has to be replaced - 2 other customers with the S5 SB came in with the same problem. There's a TSB on it, but unfortunately, parts are back-ordered. I'll be driving the loaner for a while.
I have had my loaner since Oct 18th. At least it is a A5 Sportsback. The dealer told me that the special order cooling fan should arrive by November 6 and the car should be ready by the 7th. There is no guarantee that this will correct the problem. I'll post follow ups as soon as I can. On a related topic, they needed to replace a one way check valve in the emission system too. I'll post more details after I receive the paperwork with the service description.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

All these issues with a first-year model Audi,,,really starting to worry me guys! By now it's becomiing pretty obvious why I decided to lease this car rather than purchase.

I'm coming out of a '15 Jaguar F-Type coupe which was absolutely 100% trouble free during my 3 years of use...and we all know Jaguar's reputation for quality.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
All these issues with a first-year model Audi,,,really starting to worry me guys! By now it's becomiing pretty obvious why I decided to lease this car rather than purchase.

I'm coming out of a '15 Jaguar F-Type coupe which was absolutely 100% trouble free during my 3 years of use...and we all know Jaguar's reputation for quality.
Audi doesnt have a good record with first year parts breaking (see water pump on the B8's) but they usually can fix the issue just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S5 Sportsback Limp Mode