Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportsback Limp Mode

Old 11-03-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
I have had my loaner since Oct 18th. At least it is a A5 Sportsback. The dealer told me that the special order cooling fan should arrive by November 6 and the car should be ready by the 7th. There is no guarantee that this will correct the problem. I'll post follow ups as soon as I can. On a related topic, they needed to replace a one way check valve in the emission system too. I'll post more details after I receive the paperwork with the service description.
Hey JKBMaryland...
I got the same issue with engine malfunction indication light and RPM limited to 3500 while waiting for traffic light. I stopped at a plaza to give my S5 a 5 min "break". Restarting the car then problem never happened again. I had my dealer checked out the code on 10/26 for which they said the same coolant fan failing. They updated me yesterday that the parts will arrive on 11/6 ... I live in Delaware Wilmington region. See the terrible resemblance in our situation? Maybe we can connect together and share the experience further... Good to know that I am not alone. Where are you located at? I presume in Maryland?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this car is new to North America, the B9 platform actually came out in 2017. It's not a "first year" car.

-Eli
Old 11-04-2017, 08:27 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TJEli
While this car is new to North America, the B9 platform actually came out in 2017. It's not a "first year" car.

-Eli
It is 2017 tho. This model in Germany is called a 2017 right now. I bought several accessories in Stuttgart and Heilbronn, Germany for the "2018" US model year I ordered this past March and the Audi folks in DE called it a 2017.

There were a few European A5 B9s on the Autobahn starting about Nov of 2016, but very very few. They really started showing up about Jan/Feb.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N8!
It is 2017 tho. This model in Germany is called a 2017 right now. I bought several accessories in Stuttgart and Heilbronn, Germany for the "2018" US model year I ordered this past March and the Audi folks in DE called it a 2017.

There were a few European A5 B9s on the Autobahn starting about Nov of 2016, but very very few. They really started showing up about Jan/Feb.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and trust me... it's happened before) but the B9 platform started with the A4/S4 which was out a full year before the A5/S5. Drivetrain and electronics are virtually identical between the two.

-Eli
Old 11-04-2017, 08:41 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TJEli
Correct me if I'm wrong (and trust me... it's happened before) but the B9 platform started with the A4/S4 which was out a full year before the A5/S5. Drivetrain and electronics are virtually identical between the two.

-Eli
you are correct - the B9 A4 did precede the B9 A5 by a year.

I was only thinking A5 earlier, I don't know why either. In fact (now that I think about it), back at the end of March there weren't any A5 B9s on my sales agent's lot in Stuttgart so I had to test drive an B9 A4 to get a 'feel' for the car I was ordering.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mikage3k
Hey JKBMaryland...
I got the same issue with engine malfunction indication light and RPM limited to 3500 while waiting for traffic light. I stopped at a plaza to give my S5 a 5 min "break". Restarting the car then problem never happened again. I had my dealer checked out the code on 10/26 for which they said the same coolant fan failing. They updated me yesterday that the parts will arrive on 11/6 ... I live in Delaware Wilmington region. See the terrible resemblance in our situation? Maybe we can connect together and share the experience further... Good to know that I am not alone. Where are you located at? I presume in Maryland?
Here is my update today:
Dealer called saying the parts arrived 11/6 as scheduled but then they found the parts was incorrect and now back-ordered. The correct parts will arrive 11/10 instead.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is my update today:
Dealer called saying the parts arrived 11/6 as scheduled but then they found the parts was incorrect and now back-ordered. The correct parts will arrive 11/10 instead.
Any news?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the latest on my S5 I picked the car up last week and they replaced the cooling fan. So far so good. I guess it helps that the outdoor temperatures have dropped by 20 degrees. I took a drive yesterday on a favorite Sunday route- 150 miles and the temp never reached 200F.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
Here is the latest on my S5 I picked the car up last week and they replaced the cooling fan. So far so good. I guess it helps that the outdoor temperatures have dropped by 20 degrees. I took a drive yesterday on a favorite Sunday route- 150 miles and the temp never reached 200F.
That is good to know. So far my car is still in limp mode with the dealer. The correct parts was supposed to arrive last Friday then Veteran's Day on Saturday for which the dealer said the repair work was postponed to today.

So far I haven't heard back.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is good to know. So far my car is still in limp mode with the dealer. The correct parts was supposed to arrive last Friday then Veteran's Day on Saturday for which the dealer said the repair work was postponed to today.

So far I haven't heard back.
I was told that the part will arrive at the end of the month...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S5 Sportsback Limp Mode