Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs A4 - my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default WAIT . . . WTF??

Is your dealer also also selling Infinity’s as well as Audi’s?

J/K — Welcome to AudiWorld!

Last edited by Nikon1; 05-14-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Great eye. You must be a photography buff
Old 05-14-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChampionRS5
Familiar sight. Audi Barrie?
Yes indeed!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Does it actually get better or we're just used to the lag after driving a few thousand miles? Need a brand new S5 to compare.
In my case, it got noticeably better. I have been following this lag problem in various manufacturers for a few years. Most of the cars that have the lag problem are cars that are designed with fuel economy as one of its top priorities. Even among the same make and model, the lag varies between car to car. Some have almost no lag from week 1, some will lag for a few thousand miles and some outliners will always have the lag. The software is all the same, so it must be the hardware causing this. So if you ask me if your lag will going away, only tell will tell.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One additional difference I forgot to highlight, was the start/stop system. It is MUCH more sensitive on the S5 than it was on the A4 - literally every single stop you make, to the point where I’m concerned it’s bad for the engine (although I’m sure it’s not and there are probably countless forums on this topic). It’s so sensitive that the engine will stop while the car is still moving before coming to a complete stop. I end up turning the system off, especially in Toronto traffic which is sadly where most of my driving happens.

On the the flip side, when the engine starts back up, it’s much smoother sounding than the A4 was.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by deecha1981
One additional difference I forgot to highlight, was the start/stop system. It is MUCH more sensitive on the S5 than it was on the A4 - literally every single stop you make, to the point where I’m concerned it’s bad for the engine (although I’m sure it’s not and there are probably countless forums on this topic). It’s so sensitive that the engine will stop while the car is still moving before coming to a complete stop. I end up turning the system off, especially in Toronto traffic which is sadly where most of my driving happens.

On the the flip side, when the engine starts back up, it’s much smoother sounding than the A4 was.
As I have posted before, I have trained my “right-side-muscle-memory” that as soon as my finger comes off the “Start / Stop” button it automatically finds the button to disable the start / stop function. If I could change but one thing in my car, it would be to have this setting switched to “Default = Off.”

— John
Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As I have posted before, I have trained my “right-side-muscle-memory” that as soon as my finger comes off the “Start / Stop” button it automatically finds the button to disable the start / stop function. If I could change but one thing in my car, it would be to have this setting switched to “Default = Off.”

— John
If Audi design it default off, they will lose a lot of customers, I think default to the last state such as in BMW is the best option.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Looks great in silver. If my last few cars hadn't been silver there's a good chance I would have gone with it. Any car looks great in silver though, it's probably the best car color. Hides dirt very well too.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

J/K — Welcome to AudiWorld!
It's simply the neighboring dealer.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
It's simply the neighboring dealer.

Guessing “AutoMalls” are not unique to the lower 48!

Turnersville AutoMall / 8 Unique Car Lines (Audi not amongst them)

— John

Quick Reply: S5 vs A4 - my first impressions