Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs A4 - my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If Audi design it default off, they will lose a lot of customers, I think default to the last state such as in BMW is the best option.
I suspect you are right. But regardless, it would be illegal in most markets to set the default to off, as the car has been certified with the default being on. BMW have had to adhere to this for the last few years too.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I suspect you are right. But regardless, it would be illegal in most markets to set the default to off, as the car has been certified with the default being on. BMW have had to adhere to this for the last few years too.
Yes, essentially what is being requested is to certify with *** off. Any idea how much mileage increases for the EPA city cycle with *** on?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
As I have posted before, I have trained my “right-side-muscle-memory” that as soon as my finger comes off the “Start / Stop” button it automatically finds the button to disable the start / stop function. If I could change but one thing in my car, it would be to have this setting switched to “Default = Off.”

— John
John, you're probably already aware, but *** can be turned off via OBDEleven pretty easily. Actually, the method I used just tricks it into thinking it should never turn itself on via a setting with the AC. I did this early on with my A5 and it's worked perfectly, I've forgotten the car even has this "feature".
Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deecha1981
One additional difference I forgot to highlight, was the start/stop system. It is MUCH more sensitive on the S5 than it was on the A4 - literally every single stop you make, to the point where I’m concerned it’s bad for the engine (although I’m sure it’s not and there are probably countless forums on this topic). It’s so sensitive that the engine will stop while the car is still moving before coming to a complete stop. I end up turning the system off, especially in Toronto traffic which is sadly where most of my driving happens.

On the the flip side, when the engine starts back up, it’s much smoother sounding than the A4 was.
I'm in the exact same boat (and city). I automatically turn it off when the weather is nice (during the winter it doesn't come on so isn't an issue anyways). It makes no sense and the execution is far worse than my old 328 (which was bad) and my previous C43 (which did it much better).

I'm also still frustrated with the rear camera and how easily it gets filthy and blocked up. A bit of rain and snow and it's completely useless.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I am only half-joking when I say that sometimes I think Audi left in these sorts of annoyances (rear-view camera, start-stop, etc.) simply to prevent us from having a car so good we would be spoiled for anything else, including subsequent Audi products. The rear-view camera is such a head scratcher, though.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Driving the S5 with *** on makes it seems like you're just learning to drive as you jerk to a stop every single.