Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing
This sums up the RS5 Sportback. The suspension is brilliant. And the entire unit is in a nice wrapper package ready to do your bidding. I do think Audi could have coaxed another 60HP from the engine, but I understand why they didn't want to affect R8/RS7 sales.
My guess/hope is that they did this so they can do a performance version. similar to what they did with the RS7.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stanfna
My guess/hope is that they did this so they can do a performance version. similar to what they did with the RS7.
Personally, I think the RS5 should have the V8 turbo in it to differentiate it from the S5 or at least make the V8 optional. Other than that, maybe a retractable spoiler,and again, at least an option for it. The interior and exterior should be more unique comparing to the S5. When the MSRP approaches $100,000, the competition is fierce. The S5 competes very well in its price range but sorry to say, the RS5 is lagging behind the competition.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Personally, I think the RS5 should have the V8 turbo in it to differentiate it from the S5 or at least make the V8 optional. Other than that, maybe a retractable spoiler,and again, at least an option for it. The interior and exterior should be more unique comparing to the S5. When the MSRP approaches $100,000, the competition is fierce. The S5 competes very well in its price range but sorry to say, the RS5 is lagging behind the competition.
And what exactly beats the RS5 Sportback? There is literally not another car like it in it's class? If you are comparing coupes then yes there is more competition but how is it lagging behind? The RS 5 is definitely better then the M4 and C63 and you can make an argument either way for the C63s If you want a V8 and a retractable spoiler then people can buy the RS7.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
And what exactly beats the RS5 Sportback? There is literally not another car like it in it's class? If you are comparing coupes then yes there is more competition but how is it lagging behind? The RS 5 is definitely better then the M4 and C63 and you can make an argument either way for the C63s If you want a V8 and a retractable spoiler then people can buy the RS7.
It's the only one with a hatch, so it's in a class of one.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is all subjective, its just one man's opinion, you have a different opinion since you owe a RS5. If one was looking for a practical platform, the RS5 SB is the winner here, somehow, a practical car that cost close to a $100,000 do not make sense to me. If we consider the coupe, when one is spending $100,000 for a car, we are now on another level above the S5. Beside the M4 and the C63 AMG, $100,000 can buy a Tesla model S, a used 911, new boxster, a used M5, callilac cts v, Corvette, Nissan GT-R, Dodge Hellcat, Jag type S or Lexus LC500 just to name a few, I am not saying that all these cars are better than the RS5 but the at that price range, there are many competition for a small amount of potential buyer.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-20-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is all subjective, its just one man's opinion, you have a different opinion since you owe a RS5. If one was looking for a practical platform, the RS5 SB is the winner here, somehow, a practical car that cost close to a $100,000 do not make sense to me. If we consider the coupe, when one is spending $100,000 for a car, we are now on another level above the S5. Beside the M4 and the C63 AMG, $100,000 can buy a Tesla model S, a used 911, new boxster, a used M5, callilac cts v, Corvette, Nissan GT-R, Dodge Hellcat, Jag type S or Lexus LC500 just to name a few, I am not saying that all these cars are better than the RS5 but the at that price range, there are many competition for a small amount of potential buyer.
That's the difference. We're talking about a Sportback. Not coupe. I agree with you; I would not spend $90K on the RS5 coupe. But the Sportback is a great value proposition and can't be touched if you are comparing apples/apples. You can compare used cars to just about anything, and I'm not going to go down that path as it's apple/oranges.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never been a coupe guy. Only two door cars I would buy would be real super cars such as a Ferrari, Bugatti or a Lamborghini of some sort and those are not in my price range as of "yet". So I agree I wouldn't spend 90k on the Coupe either. Just not practical when I have a 2 month old. I also don't buy used cars so saying for $100k I can buy this that or the other is not an option for me. I don't like the uncertainty of not knowing if the previous owner took care of the vehicle in the same manner as I would. Especially for $100k. I looked at the Tesla Model S as well as the Mercedes E53 Sedan and a bunch of SUVs. The Tesla's body style is getting dated IMO and the interior is not worthy of the price tag. The E53 Sedan was impressive but it was larger and did not handle as well as the RS 5 Sportback. The RS 5 Sportback is sporty, luxury and practical. No different then the S5 Sportback . It's the S5 Sportback on steroids. In all honesty when I look at the S5 Sportback and the RS 5 Sportback the S5 looks unfinished. I don't like the grill on the S5. The wider fenders on the RS 5 also gives it more of an aggressive look. There is a reason many are opting for the RS style grill for their S5's. To say that the RS 5 is lagging behind the competition sounds silly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at least give me some valid reasons for that opinion. The RS 5 Sportback as you mentioned is a winner when it comes to a "practical platform". This is what I was looking for. The car is literally in a class of it's own with the hatch.

Last edited by evanseric21; 02-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've never been a coupe guy. Only two door cars I would buy would be real super cars such as a Ferrari, Bugatti or a Lamborghini of some sort and those are not in my price range as of "yet". So I agree I wouldn't spend 90k on the Coupe either. Just not practical when I have a 2 month old. I also don't buy used cars so saying for $100k I can buy this that or the other is not an option for me. I don't like the uncertainty of not knowing if the previous owner took care of the vehicle in the same manner as I would. Especially for $100k. I looked at the Tesla Model S as well as the Mercedes E53 Sedan and a bunch of SUVs. The Tesla's body style is getting dated IMO and the interior is not worthy of the price tag. The E53 Sedan was impressive but it was larger and did not handle as well as the RS 5 Sportback. The RS 5 Sportback is sporty, luxury and practical. No different then the S5 Sportback . It's the S5 Sportback on steroids. In all honesty when I look at the S5 Sportback and the RS 5 Sportback the S5 looks unfinished. I don't like the grill on the S5. The wider fenders on the RS 5 also gives it more of an aggressive look. There is a reason many are opting for the RS style grill for their S5's. To say that the RS 5 is lagging behind the competition sounds silly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at least give me some valid reasons for that opinion. The RS 5 Sportback as you mentioned is a winner when it comes to a "practical platform". This is what I was looking for. The car is literally in a class of it's own with the hatch.
Coupes have its advantages and disadvantages, I had a few coupes in my life but mostly 4/5 doors. The RS5 SB is certainly in a class of its own, there are no other sedans in the $90000 range that has a true hatchback. Why do you think that is, the RS5 SB has no competition? Perhaps it is due to the low demand for a $90,000 low rider that is kind of practical and can go from 0-60 in less than 4 seconds.
When I shop for cars, I usually look at all my options, even used cars. With today's technology, easy access to information and a lot of knowledge, one can screen out the lemons. Leasing and buying 2 year old cars are a good way to upgrade to a car that is one level or two above.
You took the words right out of my mouth, the RS5 is the S5 Sportback on steroids. I also like the RS grille over the S grille and the flares on the side looks more aggressive than the S5, but are those things worth $20K. I too was deciding between the S5 and the RS5 but I must admit, the RS5 would be a little stretch for me financially. Like many had already said, my heart wants the RS but my brain say the S5, also my wife said the S5 as well This is just my opinion and please do not get upset over this, the upgrade from the S5 to the RS5 is not worth $20000 to me personally, your situation may be different from mine.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the upcoming BMW M4 GC in 2021/2 or so will give the RS5 SB a run for the money. I expect it to be competitive in price and with more power, depending on what Audi chooses to do in the next couple of years.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

If one was looking for a practical platform, the RS5 SB is the winner here, somehow, a practical car that cost close to a $100,000 do not make sense to me.
You keep referring to the RS5 as a $100k car. It's not. Maybe 1 of 10 RS5 SBs currently in allocation is a fully loaded, $100k version .The majority are $82k to $87k, and many dealers are bringing in bare $79k examples. In the mid-$80s, the car is square on with optioned M3s and C63s .

I cross shopped the M3 and C63 when I bought my S5, and again with the RS5. All have their strengths, but the RS5 is the all-round winner ... And the hatchback wasn't something I could give up after having it on my S5 SB the past 18 mos. If BMW made an M4 Gran Coupe, that would have been compelling. But the don't.

I was actually looking for a 991.2 Targa 4S. Totally different car, with a totally different purpose ... But also $140k+. The RS5 SB is a fantastic value for the money.

I don't mind that Audi went with a V6TT in the RS5. Would I have preferred the sound of a V8TT? Sure. But where I think Audi might suffer a bit is perception from the masses, i.e., how similar many people think the 2.9TT is to the S5's 3.0T. And they aren't at all the same.

In that regard, the RS5's closest competitor is the model which shares the 2.9TT ... The Panamera 4S. Similar levels of utility/practicality, with a Porsche badge, etc. ... But it's arguably less attractive *and* costs $30k+ more.

Last edited by Rob O; 02-20-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5