Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S5 vs RS5

I know some people have shared their general thoughts here and there, (and I may have missed a similar thread), but in case I’m the first to ask this specific question, is love to start an aggregate place for the following question:

For those of you who own one or the other, and have driven both, I’m curious about your thoughts on the noticeable and perceivable differences in performance between the two. Speed, accel, torque curves, power delivery, rev range, turbo lag, etc... Also handling in the various modes.

Also, how does the Audi sport exhaust compare to standard? If anyone has heard the Audi performance exhaust as well as some of the aftermarket options, is sport comparable or still lacking?

Would love comprehensive/detailed thoughts on the matter since my dealer is being weird about letting me put miles on his RS5SB even though I bought a fully loaded S5SB and have explicitly told him I’m extremely interested in upgrading... I just need to know if it’s worth it. [Idiot...]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Islandinthesky; 02-13-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...arket-2967056/
Old 02-13-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the link, but I feel like it’s a loose smattering of people’s opinions on various little things. I’m hoping for a more comprehensive discussion of percievable subjective sensations, etc... also no mention of the exhaust options... appreciate the thought though, brother.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you have the money, RS5.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
If you have the money, RS5.
+1
Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by evanseric21
+1
of course.... and if I had the money I’d have an R8, too. The money isn’t the issue, it’s how much you’re getting for it. And again, what the sport exhaust is like. I have aftermarket exhaust on my s5 and I’m curious if the sport is similar to that, or just a slight change. Haven’t seen anything on here discussing that.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Islandinthesky

of course.... and if I had the money I’d have an R8, too. The money isn’t the issue, it’s how much you’re getting for it. And again, what the sport exhaust is like. I have aftermarket exhaust on my s5 and I’m curious if the sport is similar to that, or just a slight change. Haven’t seen anything on here discussing that.
If you want value for money, the S5 delivers in spades. Most people agree that the 100 or so extra HP is not enough from a performance standpoint to spend on an RS5. But then there is that intangible aspect of wanting to be one of the few people to have an RS5. That can't be measured in any dollar value and it depends on you having the money for it.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

thanks for the link, but I feel like it’s a loose smattering of people’s opinions on various little things. I’m hoping for a more comprehensive discussion of percievable subjective sensations, etc... also no mention of the exhaust options... appreciate the thought though, brother.

Personal opinions is all you gonna get I think. Everybody comes from a different background and a different situation and values different things more than others, but let me try to address some of your specific points.
  • Performance: More of the same is probably what I would say it boils down to. The engine core is shared between the two. The RS5 version is reinforced, has two turbos instead of one and a slightly different bore which is what makes it a 2.9 vs 3.0. Bottom line, it's faster and has more power. Less turbo lag, because each turbo only has to feed 3 cylinders, so they are smaller with less inertia. Torque curves and power delivery are largely the same, just more. The RS5's torque curve raises steeper and quicker and max torque comes in at 2000 rpm vs 3000 rpm in the S4/5. Both go flat at the top as many turbo charged engines do. Here are the torque and power curves for both: RS5 https://i.imgur.com/4NpKeba.jpg, S4/5 http://gallery.audiworld.com/albums/...dium.sized.jpg
  • Exhaust: Never heard the standard exhaust. Not sure anybody buys it w/o the sport exhaust, but the sport exhaust is still lacking IMO. A more assertive hair dryer I guess. The pops and bangs are kinda weird from inside the cabin. Sounds like you kidnapped somebody and they are banging against the trunk. They are very muffled from the inside. Overall the sound isn't particularly exciting. It's more of a refined sound.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just agreed with the other poster. Bottom line is it does come down to money. If you can afford it then why not get the best version of something you know you like? If it's a matter of a value proposition which still comes down to money then you need to determine if the changes between the two are worth the extra premium. At the end of the day you have to make that decision. Anyone who has an RS 5 is going to tell you to buy the RS 5. As far as the sport exhaust is concerned, I have not heard an aftermarket S5 exhaust so I can not give you a comparison. I like the RS 5 exhaust as it's strong but not extremely loud. The more you give it the louder it gets. In comfort mode it is very quiet. You can always buy an aftermarket exhaust if you want more sound. Is that your deciding factor between the two?
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

RS5 coupe with sport exhaust:

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5