Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5 - An S5 owner test drives RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanjm
Bought a new '18 S5 Sportback last year, and now a friend is considering an RS5. We test drove it and really weren't that impressed actually. Interior is almost identical. Exterior has minor differences (dual jumbo exhaust arguably doesn't look better), and handling/accel felt comparable. The blue color looked like a family sedan color (compared to M3/M4). Just not worth the extra $20k, and my friend agreed. He's thinking of going S5 with a custom color.

If you were waiting on an S5 to hit your dealer, prepare to possibly save $20k and get an S5 instead.
I know this is an old post, but just to make a point on S vs. RS. For the last 8 years I have been driving S4s, which have the same platform and drive train as an S5. I also had APR Stage 2 installed on my second S4 (B8.5). I've had track time in my S4 as well as an S5 Sportback, QS5, RS3, RS7 and R8. They are all very similar to drive, but they are not equivalent, I recently traded in my S4 for an RS5 Sportback and, to me, the RS5 is clearly the better car in almost every way. My stock S4 had 333 hp and 325 ft lbs torque. With APR Stage 2 (crank pulley) it had 460 hp and 400 ft lbs torque. It walked away from new (B9) S5s. My new stock RS5 accelerates much more aggressively than my tuned S4 and there is absolutely no comparison in handling or braking. My S4 was capable, but it did not perform the same way when pushed hard. You might debate whether the cost justifies 1/2 second or so in 0-60 time, but that hardly captures the essence of the car. The S models are very nice. Like I said, I drove them for 8 years. But as I wanted to push the car harder I found its limitations. So, if you want a nice car to drive, the S models are great. If you want a car that is capable when pushed hard, and you can afford it, the RS models are substantially better in the things that matter.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 18RS5
Other than the interior being almost identical, I upgraded from a S5 Sportback to an RS5 and it was 100% worth it.
hear hear! This was my car yesterday, an S5. My Nardo Gray RS5 SB is on its way from Vegas. what led to the change of heart just after a few months? After a 15 min test drive through the toll ways and back roads, RS5 is definitely worth the extra cost. But I'm not in your shoes so if you are financially strapped, and want some extra ponies, yes the S5 makes more sense. No one should go under water on a car payment.

Last time with this beauty.

Last edited by skubeeraw; 02-27-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 18RS5
I can tell you the extra horsepower/torque is a nice jump from the S5, you can feel it majorly in "S" and dynamic drive select. The sound of the exhaust (louder and makes more pops and crackles) the fact I can get the black optic package. another thing I found better was the B/O sound system definitely better (even though package costs the same price?) now am I trying to say it was worth a full 20k more? ehhh maybe not BUT definitely a nice step up no doubt.

Oh and another thing I will say, I got the Dynamic plus package that has the ceramic brakes and I can honestly say I didn't feel much of a difference between them and the brakes on my Sportback which I think is a bit odd but I've never felt carbon ceramics otherwise so not sure.
The ceramic brakes are, perhaps, less effective when they are cold. One advantage they have is that they will continue to perform well and improve as they heat up. This prevents/reduces brake fade when driving hard, downhill in the mountains, etc. The other advantage of the ceramic brakes is weight. Reducing un-sprung weight improves chassis control and handling. The ceramic brakes are bigger than standard brakes but weigh less.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I have a S5 Sportback and test drove a RS5 the other day. I figured I would walk away really wanting one but I didn't. It's a nice car but other than the much stiffer suspension and exhaust noises it didn't feel much different than my S5 in dynamic mode. If I didn't have my S5 and was looking at a new car, I'd definitely go for the RS5. That said, I don't think I'd upgrade from my S5 to a RS5. For the same money I'd probably go for an off lease BMW M5. Those have a residual value of about 50% after a 2 year lease.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I have a S5 Sportback and test drove a RS5 the other day. I figured I would walk away really wanting one but I didn't. It's a nice car but other than the much stiffer suspension and exhaust noises it didn't feel much different than my S5 in dynamic mode. If I didn't have my S5 and was looking at a new car, I'd definitely go for the RS5. That said, I don't think I'd upgrade from my S5 to a RS5. For the same money I'd probably go for an off lease BMW M5. Those have a residual value of about 50% after a 2 year lease.
I don't think I would upgrade to an RS 5 Sportback either if I had an S5 Sportback. Would feel like the same car just faster. I don't think I would buy a used M5 either. I prefer to buy new cars. I want to beat them up myself . If I had an S5 Sportback and was in the market I think I would buy the E53 AMG Sedan or maybe the M550i. Looked at both of these before deciding on the RS 5 Sportback.