Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs S3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Imaudi2018
Thanks everyone. Good food for thought. My kids went from car seats to starting to drive their own cars now, so I don't need the "dad" car anymore. It's been a while since I was in the market for a small sports sedan. While I care that it has a usable back seat, it won't be used much. Just not sure if I want to spend the $60k needed for the S5 or if I will be happy with the S3. I guess I'll have to test drive them to see if the size of the S3 bothers me, or the ride of the S5 blows me away. Thanks!
^^^^ This.

While it's always good to collect different opinions on what other people like and dislike in the cars you are considering, in the end there is only one opinion that counts and that is yours. Take them both out for extended test drives, think about how you plan to use the car and what factors are most important to you. Once you do that I'm sure the choice will be easy, and if it's not, that just means that there is no wrong choice and you would be happy with either decision.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the a5 sb is a good size. It’s not too big or too small. If you like the s model then get it. I think the a5/s5 profile is the most well rounded vs the a3/s3 and a4/s4.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Good food for thought. My kids went from car seats to starting to drive their own cars now, so I don't need the "dad" car anymore. It's been a while since I was in the market for a small sports sedan. While I care that it has a usable back seat, it won't be used much. Just not sure if I want to spend the $60k needed for the S5 or if I will be happy with the S3. I guess I'll have to test drive them to see if the size of the S3 bothers me, or the ride of the S5 blows me away. Thanks!
The answer will be clear once you drive both.

I think the S3 is a very good car, and I really love the size and way it looks. It was a total blast to drive, very different than the S5. The S5 is more of a GT car, but still small.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Just not sure if I want to spend the $60k needed for the S5 or if I will be happy with the S3.
Dude - If you go for a top of the line A5 Sportback you will be under $60K and have the same car as an S5 albeit with a bit less horsepower and no diamond tucked upholstery. But you do get better fuel economy (and possibly less teething problems) and the same functionality in everyday driving.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default '16 S3 vs '18 S5 SB

I'll chime in here. I had a 2016 S3 for about 18 months. It was a premium plus but well equipped - had drive select with the dynamic dampers, etc. I previously drove a 2011 335i e92 with the mppk, as a comparison. I was happy to go from 2 doors to 4 since I have a kid. I was also happy to dump BMW since my N55 motor blew due to a recall issue that wasn't addressed, but that's a separate story. At first I enjoyed the S3 and thought it was pretty cool to have such a small displacement motor that made almost 300hp. However, that was short lived. After a few months the 4 cylinder sound (or lack thereof) really left a lot to be desired. Of course coming from a straight six BMW motor had me a bit spoiled. But then I started having bigger complaints... the front seats (I didn't have the upgraded quilt seats) started really bothering me. I couldn't drive for more than an hour without getting out of the car with back pain. Beyond that, the cheaper components started to wear on me. Compared to my wife's less expensive 2015 Q5, the S3 seemed like a cheap car. Lots of road noise and the car simply wasn't comfortable. I always joked that it was my go cart; fun and quick but not comfortable or upscale.

Long story short, I traded in the S3 for a 2018 S5 SB that I custom ordered and have been driving for 4 months. While slightly less sporty (in some ways), it sounds better, has a smoother power band/transmission (8 speed torque converter vs 6 speed dual clutch), is much more comfortable, has more room all around, looks better IMO, and is a significant step up in build and materials. All in, the difference in price was about $10k, so not insignificant. However, i don't regret the change for a second. Quick go cart versus a fast grand touring car. To each his own but a clear decision for myself.

Last edited by cushlash; 01-05-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Another S3 demerit....the trunk space is ridiculous small. I don't care what numbers on paper say, two roller bags fill the entire thing. If you ever use the trunk this is a major consideration to be had before a purchase.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cushlash
I'll chime in here. I had a 2016 S3 for about 18 months. It was a premium plus but well equipped - had drive select with the dynamic dampers, etc. I previously drove a 2011 335i e92 with the mppk, as a comparison. I was happy to go from 2 doors to 4 since I have a kid. I was also happy to dump BMW since my N55 motor blew due to a recall issue that wasn't addressed, but that's a separate story. At first I enjoyed the S3 and thought it was pretty cool to have such a small displacement motor that made almost 300hp. However, that was short lived. After a few months the 4 cylinder sound (or lack thereof) really left a lot to be desired. Of course coming from a straight six BMW motor had me a bit spoiled. But then I started having bigger complaints... the front seats (I didn't have the upgraded quilt seats) started really bothering me. I couldn't drive for more than an hour without getting out of the car with back pain. Beyond that, the cheaper components started to wear on me. Compared to my wife's less expensive 2015 Q5, the S3 seemed like a cheap car. Lots of road noise and the car simply wasn't comfortable. I always joked that it was my go cart; fun and quick but not comfortable or upscale.

Long story short, I traded in the S3 for a 2018 S5 SB that I custom ordered and have been driving for 4 months. While slightly less sporty (in some ways), it sounds better, has a smoother power band/transmission (8 speed torque converter vs 6 speed dual clutch), is much more comfortable, has more room all around, looks better IMO, and is a significant step up in build and materials. All in, the difference in price was about $10k, so not insignificant. However, i don't regret the change for a second. Quick go cart versus a fast grand touring car. To each his own but a clear decision for myself.
Great feedback, thanks. That's what I was worried about.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Another S3 demerit....the trunk space is ridiculous small. I don't care what numbers on paper say, two roller bags fill the entire thing. If you ever use the trunk this is a major consideration to be had before a purchase.
^^^ I'm going to 2nd this and add that not only is the trunk small, but with an EXTREMELY narrow opening. Put the seats down if you want, but if it's slightly larger than a carry on bag tipped sideways, you won't even be able to fit in the trunk space to begin with. I've moved twice with the car and you run out of "creative" packing options quickly.

As a current '15 S3 owner I'm also surprised no one mentioned the front wheel bias issue. Simply put, my car CANNOT put power down off the line; I'll spin my front wheels all day. Launch control doesn't help the issue anymore either. Factory setup, so I could easily swap rubber, but that's not happening at this stage in it's life. To further my rant on the topic I simply refuse to mod the vehicle to fix an issue I thought Quattro would've accounted for in theory.

I'm currently deciding between the S5 SB and the SQ5. I've test driven both and I can tell you that the S5 (rear wheel bias) is a MUCH better handler off the line. There's a pretty significant size difference in overall feel (go-kart to cruiser for sure), and it's a long car (longer than the SQ5), but I'd trust that car any day vs the S3.

Long story short, I've enjoyed my time behind the wheel of my S3, but the thread just happened to touch on my 2 primary issues with the vehicle: 10cu ft of trunk space is abysmal and front wheel power delivery. Okay 3, it drinks coolant fairly quickly.

But, hey, aren't these all really first world problems to begin with?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Completely agree with everything above. I’ve been in a ‘16 s3 loaded up for the last 2 1/2 years. Loved the car out of the gate, its still fun at times and the go cart reference is spot on. Have a ‘18 S5 coupe on order. Really wanted the SB, but dealer wouldn’t move on price based on how popular they are.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the type of discussion I've been looking for, though I posted in the TT/TT S/TT RS group. All the benefits of having the larger S5 Sportback can't really be disputed. In my case, I have a pretty straight daily commute (central Florida), and the extra storage space is nice, though I wouldn't say absolutely necessary. My space/storage requirements are to be able to stow my backpack and my son's, as I drop him off to school and go on to work from there, as well as doing the weekly grocery run. All in all the S5 Sportback checks off all the blocks in my personal checklist, except full performance that I crave, and the subjective one: passion. And that's why now I'm wondering if I should have purchased the TT RS instead. Sure, I wouldn't get the bigger car, but I don't need it (the wife fulfills the hauling things around needs with her SUV). And the TT RS could still stow our backpacks, plus haul the groceries. On top of that, the performance of the TT RS would be better than the S5, plus provide those looks that complete the "passion" block on that checklist.