Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues

Old 12-21-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues

Anyone else having issues with the SportBack tailgate close/lock button only working intermittently? I always have my key in my pocket with the engine off, but that button just doesn't work consistently.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the same issue. Guessing 80% of the time it works. When it doesn't I press the close button right next to it, and it closes the lid. I then use the remote or press the outside of a door handle to lock it. So it clearly has no issues performing the whole task via the 2 step method.

I love this car, but the lack of 'operator feedback' is completely disappointing. Over a million pixels of screens, and they offer no information as why it won't perform a task. Take the comfort windows thread for example - if it won't auto open or auto close a normally functioning window due to the fact it needs to be retaught, f'n tell me to re-teach the window. Who know's what the in the logic to prevent the tailgate to close/lock - likely only one thing. It knows I pressed the button, so tell me! ugh.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has never had any issues.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

My guess is it either thinks the key is in the car, or is unable to communicate with the key. Maybe I'll try waving and dancing around with the key the next time it happens to see if that sheds more light on which one it might be. And if it's the latter (unable to communicate with the key), that's a pretty crappy requirement. If I'm touching a lock button, lock the car. Shouldn't need my key nearby for an interior lock button to work.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had intermittent issues with it, too. It's pretty rare (maybe every 20th time), but sometimes I have to press it a few times to get it to work and sometimes it never works. Sometimes I'll hit the lock button over and over, moving around, and it does nothing, but then I'll hit the normal close button and it closes the hatch and then locks. That tells me that it saw the lock button and just didn't close the hatch, but acted on it when I closed the hatch another way. When I got to work a few weeks ago, neither button worked and I spent a few minutes trying to diagnose what was going on. I eventually just closed it manually. In all cases, the keys are in my pocket and the spare key is at home.

I brought it up with the dealer and they claim that there's no existing TSB or report in the system. They also said that it worked every time for them, as expected. I don't have high hopes for getting it fixed, but it doesn't happen enough to be too annoying.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had issues with the lock button also. Sometimes I have to hit it multiple times to get it to work. I've noticed that if I long press the button, rather then just tap, it usually closes on first attempt.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I watched a Youtube video made by an S5 SB owner and one of his complaints was the intermittent function of the lock button on the hatch.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I've had this happen once. I usually lock the doors before I get stuff out of the hatch, so I don't use the lock button much. The one time that it didn't work was similar to what rccoleman described, I hit the close button after the lock button didn't work and it locked when it closed.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Ditto. No issue with SB

Originally Posted by RedKloud
Mine has never had any issues.
Perhaps someone has big feet or head and the SB senses interference...LOL!~
Old 12-22-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Anyone else having issues with the SportBack tailgate close/lock button only working intermittently? I always have my key in my pocket with the engine off, but that button just doesn't work consistently.
I have the same issue once In a while, whenever it happens I take the keys out of my pocket and then I press the close/lock button.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues