Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues

Old 01-10-2019, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have issues with both buttons not responding intermittently. Sometimes pressing the close button does nothing the first time. Sometimes when I press the lock button the doors lock but the sportback doesn't move. Pressing it again one or more times (or the close button) eventually works.

Same response from the dealer: couldn't reproduce, no faults in the system, no TSBs.

All of these stupid little problems (slow clock, no automatic time setting, garage door opener issues) make it feel like I have the beta version of the car's software...
Old 01-10-2019, 06:28 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry some seem to have this problem.

I've not experienced this issue in 19 months of ownership.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Not sure if this is the cause, but sometimes when it doesn't respond to the button press I take a step back and then it always works. Dunno if its just a co-incidence or actually because I was too close to the hatch?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Not sure if this is the cause, but sometimes when it doesn't respond to the button press I take a step back and then it always works. Dunno if its just a co-incidence or actually because I was too close to the hatch?
That would make some sense, it the car thinks there's some obstruction and won't close for safety purposes. You'd think it would make some indication of that fact.

I'll try stepping back the next time it doesn't close.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by decarr66
That would make some sense, it the car thinks there's some obstruction and won't close for safety purposes.
Unless the car has become self-aware (ha), it's gonna need a sensor for that, and I don't think there is one. If you have stuff piled too high in the back, the motor will sense near the end of the close the higher current needed (or maybe position error), and reverse back to open. (It was a while ago, can't fully remembered if it stopped or reversed, but I think it reversed.)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
Unless the car has become self-aware (ha), it's gonna need a sensor for that, and I don't think there is one. If you have stuff piled too high in the back, the motor will sense near the end of the close the higher current needed (or maybe position error), and reverse back to open. (It was a while ago, can't fully remembered if it stopped or reversed, but I think it reversed.)
There are sensors in back for the "kick action" to open the trunk. I was thinking that sensor might be active.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by decarr66
There are sensors in back for the "kick action" to open the trunk. I was thinking that sensor might be active.
Exactly what I was thinking also.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Another data point:

I just had another instance of the lock button not working, so I tried moving around and opening and closing one of the doors. None of that worked. Then, without moving, I took my keys out of my pocket and held them away from the car at arm's length and the button worked.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same problem where I push the lock and nothing but push the trunk close button then lock with key fob works. Over the last year I would guess it has happened 4 or 5 times so it hasn't been a big deal to me.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know if it is related, but my 2018 SQ5 just had its first service and they told me the rear door had a software update recall due. It seems to still not work most of the time when I press the "lock" button. Trunk button always works fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues