Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My lock button on the hatch only responds/works if I lock the car doors first, otherwise it does nothing. Really not sure if this is by design, but since the purpose of the button is to lock the doors after the hatch closes, I don't see why.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore
My lock button on the hatch only responds/works if I lock the car doors first, otherwise it does nothing. Really not sure if this is by design, but since the purpose of the button is to lock the doors after the hatch closes, I don't see why.
Most of the time my lock button will lock that car and close the hatch. When it occasionally misbehaves it will only lock the car and leave the hatch open.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I sure wish that I could demonstrate this to the dealer. But I suppose that the fact that it's hard to repro means that it's infrequent and not really a big deal. For those who see it, try holding your keys away from the car when pressing the button. That worked for me last time.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a whole bunch of issues with the Fob Button, Lock button, Kick, and even it thinking& warning that I left the keys in the trunk when they are in my pocket. All of which typically happen in my underground Garage. And the Dealer has said it works as specified many times, with the comment that it is Susceptible to outside interference with communication to the key. So maybe we can all get together and go to AUDI at one time telling them there really is a problem they need to fix.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea, my biggest issue is that I inadvertently open the hatch from inside my house if the fob is in my pocket. I guess I somehow press the button without knowing it. I did a little experiment and found that the range is huge to open the hatch (at least with my car). I walked down the street and could open the hatch from around 200 ft away. To close the hatch I need to be inches away.

Definitly a little spotty.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
Yea, my biggest issue is that I inadvertently open the hatch from inside my house if the fob is in my pocket. I guess I somehow press the button without knowing it. I did a little experiment and found that the range is huge to open the hatch (at least with my car). I walked down the street and could open the hatch from around 200 ft away. To close the hatch I need to be inches away.

Definitly a little spotty.
I had this happen a couple weeks after taking delivery - came out from a restaurant to find the hatch wide open. I think it happened one other time shortly after, hasn't happened since. The dealer chalked it up to user error - me inadvertently pressing the button.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:49 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by decarr66
I had this happen a couple weeks after taking delivery - came out from a restaurant to find the hatch wide open. I think it happened one other time shortly after, hasn't happened since. The dealer chalked it up to user error - me inadvertently pressing the button.
I don’t have the SB — I have the Coupe — but occasionally as I am getting in to my car, with my keys in my jeans pockets, the trunk lid button gets “pressed” and the trunk lid pops open!

After experiencing this several times, I’ve started putting my keys in my coat pocket.

— John
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I programmed a 3 second delay for my trunk early on and have never had it pop open unexpectedly, but it does often lock without notice. It's always when I'm bending down, picking something up, brushing up against something, etc. The button seems to be very sensitive, and I don't think there's an equivalent delay for lock/unlock. I've seen thick plastic cases that recess the buttons, but I don't want to make the fob bulkier than it already is.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I programmed a 3 second delay for my trunk early on and have never had it pop open unexpectedly, but it does often lock without notice. It's always when I'm bending down, picking something up, brushing up against something, etc. The button seems to be very sensitive, and I don't think there's an equivalent delay for lock/unlock. I've seen thick plastic cases that recess the buttons, but I don't want to make the fob bulkier than it already is.
Did you program with OBDEleven? I need to look into that, because I have 2 bicycles hanging above my car and once I accidentally opened the trunk with the fob in my pants and had to quickly scramble out of the car and run to the back to prevent the trunk from hitting the bike tyres. It caused almost the same level of heart palpitations as Audi Pre Sense does sometimes when I reverse and it slams on the brakes.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Did you program with OBDEleven? I need to look into that, because I have 2 bicycles hanging above my car and once I accidentally opened the trunk with the fob in my pants and had to quickly scramble out of the car and run to the back to prevent the trunk from hitting the bike tyres. It caused almost the same level of heart palpitations as Audi Pre Sense does sometimes when I reverse and it slams on the brakes.
I had read that there is a setting to adjust the maximum opening height. Is that correct? I am planning to do this once my car arrives because I am concerned the hatch may hit my garage door when it is open.

Quick Reply: SB Tailgate Close/Lock button intermittent issues