Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?

 
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?

Wanted to put this up here before I take it to the dealer in case someone else has been having the same problems. The driver's left side lumbar area has started cracking and slowly peeling, starting noticing it originally about 10 months ago after I had the car for a year, but it has got significantly worse recently. The car has 18k miles and it's always been kept garaged both at home and work, and been using the leather conditioner frequently. I understand that leather seats will eventually crack and peal, but I feel like it's too soon for that kind of wear, especially since it's been taken care of diligently. Pics below.


A5Newbie is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 05:54 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 616
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Yikes. I'm guessing this part gets an unusual amount of wear and tear because it sticks out so much. The rest of us will have to make sure we get in without rubbing into it.
belzebutt is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 05:59 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
heymoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 641
Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

I've been trying to plop my bottom down in the center of the seat instead of sitting on the bolsters (crushing it) and sliding into position. The same for getting out in order to try and prevent creases / cracks in the leather. It's kind of a pain so we'll see how long that lasts
heymoe is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:17 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by heymoe View Post
I've been trying to plop my bottom down in the center of the seat instead of sitting on the bolsters (crushing it) and sliding into position. The same for getting out in order to try and prevent creases / cracks in the leather. It's kind of a pain so we'll see how long that lasts
Trust me I've been doing my best not to crush it, but can't avoid rubbing against it all the time, plus can't control how the wife get's in it when she drives (I could try but I'd have bigger headaches than a cracked seat lol!). Had my mustang for twice as long and the lumbar leather area looked brand new, wonder if it's the lighter colored seats.
A5Newbie is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
luder888's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 677
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

I have my seat set to the lowest, and I'm not a big guy, but the bulk of my weight still lands on the outside cushion every single time I get out of the car. I feel bad because I don't want to wear it out prematurely but I don't know what else to do.
luder888 is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:51 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

That is insane after 10 months, is there anything Audi can/should do? Itís seems very premature assuming reasonable/regular use.
Ajax1900 is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 502
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Yeah, I would say that is abnormal!
MRA5SB is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Nikon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,183
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

The way I read the OP, the picture represents 22 months of ownership ó but I could be wrong. I wonder if the windows are tinted to block out UV rays as they are brutal on leather and is it garage kept?

Those pictures are rotated, showing the seat back bolsters, not the bottom seat bolsters. I noticed that they are the ventilated seats, which is what I have and Iím hoping that I will not be looking at a similar situation in a couple of years!

To the OP - I hope Audi helps you out.

ó John

Last edited by Nikon1; 06-03-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Nikon1 is online now  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
The way I read the OP, the picture represents 22 months of ownership ó but I could be wrong. I wonder if the windows are tinted to block out UV rays as they are brutal on leather and is it garage kept?

Those pictures are rotated, showing the seat back bolsters, not the bottom seat bolsters. I noticed that they are the ventilated seats, which is what I have and Iím hoping that I will not be looking at a similar situation in a couple of years!

To the OP - I hope Audi helps you out.

ó John
Correct, It's about 22 months of ownership, but I started noticing it around the 12 month mark and it has gotten progressively worse. It has been garage kept (home and work) and been cleaned & conditioned frequently.

Also, it is the seat back bolster, not the bottom bolster, bottom bolster has held up well. Wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything similar before I reached out to my dealer.
A5Newbie is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 09:18 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: DMV
Posts: 340
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by A5Newbie View Post
Correct, It's about 22 months of ownership, but I started noticing it around the 12 month mark and it has gotten progressively worse. It has been garage kept (home and work) and been cleaned & conditioned frequently.

Also, it is the seat back bolster, not the bottom bolster, bottom bolster has held up well. Wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything similar before I reached out to my dealer.
Real leather is lot more durable than that! It must be a defect. After 14 years my last car a TSX the upholstery looked nearly as good as it came from the factory. Leather chaps and saddles real cowboys use gets lot more punishment than our car seats.
18A5SB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: