Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian3
It looks excessive. How about direct sun exposure when parked (say, at work during the day)?
He twice mentioned the car is garage kept at work and at home.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Do you have hard water? Or fluoride?
Most municipal tap water in US is hard to semi-hard. Most municipal tap water in US is fluoridated at the treatment facility.

Neither should make a difference in cleaning leather.

Last edited by 18A5SB; 06-04-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Most municipal tap water in US is hard to semi-hard. Most municipal tap water in US is fluoridated at the treatment facility.

I know, I was kidding.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB

The dealer can blame it on the excess fluoride for your leather deterioration. That's why I only use water packets I buy from Whole Foods.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Not yet. I clean and condition my seats once a month though.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Slightly OT: Never treated a Q5's leather seats aside from a damp cloth maybe once a year.
No leather issues whatsoever in four years.

Last edited by audibonkers; 06-04-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by audibonkers
Slightly OT: Never treated a Q5's leather seats aside from a damp cloth maybe once a year.
No leather issues whatsoever in four years.
Same here. Nappa leather on my previous 3 S4's. Never used anything more than a damp cloth unless there was a significant splotch of dirt or food, then it was a spritz of windex on a paper towel followed by the damp rag. Every car had 5 years and over 100K miles when I traded in and the leather always looked almost showroom new with some minor wrinkles on the side bolster and a slight sag on the drivers seat bottom.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The stitching on the seat is clearly abraded where the leather is also worn. Stitching isn't going to do that unless it's being rubbed, probably by something more than just other fabric - is there some kind of common thing you and/or your wife wear that has hard edges that would contact that area? (Eg: rivets, buckles, purse strap hardware, etc.)

Also the leather in other areas is not behaving this way.

The dealer may appease you somehow if they want to be nice, but it's clearly wear due to the user.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
The stitching on the seat is clearly abraded where the leather is also worn. Stitching isn't going to do that unless it's being rubbed, probably by something more than just other fabric - is there some kind of common thing you and/or your wife wear that has hard edges that would contact that area? (Eg: rivets, buckles, purse strap hardware, etc.)

Also the leather in other areas is not behaving this way.

The dealer may appease you somehow if they want to be nice, but it's clearly wear due to the user.
Not really, just the usual contact with my pants getting in and out of the car, and I also try to avoid rubbing against it as much as I can, but can't always since it sticks out so much. Once in the car the only other thing that would remotely rub is the seat belt, but don't think it does.

The area also seems to have lost it's sheen a bit and seem duller that the other leather in the car, I think the protective coating has rubbed off, which is most likely due to the contact of me getting in and out of the car, but the car only has 18k miles, so it's obviously more than just wear due to the user, but guess I'll never know. I'll take it to the dealer soon for the 20k service and see what they say.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
The dealer can blame it on the excess fluoride for your leather deterioration. That's why I only use water packets I buy from Whole Foods.
Not good enough. You should use Acqua di Cristallo Tributo a Modigliani, Fiji version only. Pocket lint price of $60K per 750mL

https://www.therichest.com/expensive...-in-the-world/

Quick Reply: Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?