Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I remember right, on some Audi non-nappa seatings, only the seating surface is leather, meaning the sides are vinyl.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced the exact same issue (2017 Q7) in the same area of the seat after a year of use. I brought it to the dealership's attention and they told me it was because I wore blue jeans. Needless to say it wasn't the response I was looking for. I still own the vehicle (75k km on it now) and the area is now completely worn through where I can stick my finger through it.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnV
I experienced the exact same issue (2017 Q7) in the same area of the seat after a year of use. I brought it to the dealership's attention and they told me it was because I wore blue jeans. Needless to say it wasn't the response I was looking for. I still own the vehicle (75k km on it now) and the area is now completely worn through where I can stick my finger through it.
You MAY be able to find replacements here -https://www.carid.com/audi-seats/
Old 02-15-2022, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

better off grabbing a used seat from a junkyard if you want to save money and make things easy. can bolt in an entire seat versus messing with upholstery.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
Wanted to put this up here before I take it to the dealer in case someone else has been having the same problems. The driver's left side lumbar area has started cracking and slowly peeling, starting noticing it originally about 10 months ago after I had the car for a year, but it has got significantly worse recently. The car has 18k miles and it's always been kept garaged both at home and work, and been using the leather conditioner frequently. I understand that leather seats will eventually crack and peal, but I feel like it's too soon for that kind of wear, especially since it's been taken care of diligently. Pics below.

Yeah that seems super odd. I saw a post where someone was complaining about their the headrest starting to flake and crack presumably from sweat and salt. No idea how some of these seats are deteriorating so quickly. I was looking at a picture of the leather interior of my car and it seems that the grain is quite different from yours because you have ventilated seats. I'm really curious about the type of leather used because it seems different from non-ventilated seats. The texture of your letter seems "harder" and has less flex. I wonder if it's more prone to that type of damage because of it and requires more or different maintenance? I don't know much about leather work outside the basics, so I'm curious to know.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

IMO this is the "downside" of having the nice higher bolsters associated with sport seats; we have to be that little bit more careful getting in and out of the car - YMWV
Old 02-15-2022, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by inphra
Yeah that seems super odd. I saw a post where someone was complaining about their the headrest starting to flake and crack presumably from sweat and salt. No idea how some of these seats are deteriorating so quickly. I was looking at a picture of the leather interior of my car and it seems that the grain is quite different from yours because you have ventilated seats. I'm really curious about the type of leather used because it seems different from non-ventilated seats. The texture of your letter seems "harder" and has less flex. I wonder if it's more prone to that type of damage because of it and requires more or different maintenance? I don't know much about leather work outside the basics, so I'm curious to know.
The other member addressed it, but this is on an A5. You have an S5. The S5 has Nappa leather (smooth grain) while the A5 have the rougher grain because it is not a true leather, in fact it's pleather/leatherette.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
The other member addressed it, but this is on an A5. You have an S5. The S5 has Nappa leather (smooth grain) while the A5 have the rougher grain because it is not a true leather, in fact it's pleather/leatherette.
Ah okay, I wasn't sure if it was because ventilated seats come with a different leather on the bolster. Interesting to know it's a pleather/leatherette.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Just took a closer look at my A4 sport seats with separate headrests (they look similar to those on an A5). The bottom seat bolster is leather to me but I would say the seat back bolster is pleather/leatherette. I check by pushing my finger into the middle of the surface - I find with leather you see additional creases around the area you are pushing on, whereas when I push on the leatherette I just get a smooth circular surface around my finger. Curious to see what other folks see when they press fingers against their seats.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

these are machines meant to be used, not museum art pieces...

Quick Reply: Seat Cracking and Peeling - Anyone else?