Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

SIM card slot

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SIM card slot

In the glove box, there is a SIM card slot in between the two SD card slots. My understanding is that on the B9 A/S5, or at least on the MY2019, the AT&T service is through an embedded SIM. If true, that would leave this user-accessible SIM slot empty. In which case I have to wonder what the purpose of its existence is.

In any case, in the event I might wish to continue the Audi Connect subscription for NAV features (traffic, satellite maps, etc), beyond the free 6mo trial, I know Audi offers the service via direct subscription with them. But I also believe from other threads that we might have a less costly alternative, by way of obtaining data service through a 3rd-party carrier. I believe someone mentioned FreedomPop as an example. The idea being, we can 'feed' the car with data service, doing an end-run around Audi/AT&T, for a meaningfully lower cost.

Can anyone comment on their knowledge or 1st-hand experience doing this? In practical terms, how would this work? Would the MMI 'see' this new service and just automatically make use of it seamlessly? Obviously for most carriers it would need to be 'activated' somehow, typically via phone or tablet. I would expect there may be some hoops to jump through to make this work. Again, I'd be pursuing this for purposes of cellular data for NAV features, not the in-car WiFi hotspot. Also, do we know what size SIM card this slot accommodates?

TIA!

Last edited by pcss; 01-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

The SIM slot exists on MY18 too. Audi Connect is provided via the embedded SIM in NA, no way around that. But it’s my understanding the SIM card slot is there to support WiFi hotspot services for other providers. I have a FreedomPop SIM, in my Q5, but haven’t tried it out yet in the A5.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I wonder if a Google Fi data only sim card would work in there... hmmmm..
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
The SIM slot exists on MY18 too. Audi Connect is provided via the embedded SIM in NA, no way around that. But it’s my understanding the SIM card slot is there to support WiFi hotspot services for other providers. I have a FreedomPop SIM, in my Q5, but haven’t tried it out yet in the A5.
Do we know this for certain?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcss
Do we know this for certain?
Yep. Plenty of threads and pages that talk about the embedded eSIM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put an active SIM card in the slot and go to the Connections menu you should be able to select the SIM card as the data source.

In the UK there is an embedded SIM but once you put a third party SIM in and select the SIM as the data connection, it disables the eSIM.

Once this is done, the MMI and Google Earth maps will use your SIM.....and all myAudi functionality still works. Also means you can use the car as a WIFI hotspot. Oh, and the car then also has its own phone number and you can choose the SIM as either primary or secondary phone.

It may be that this functionality is disabled in the US, but should be able to enable it via OBDeleven.
The following users liked this post:
WQ7 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silo24
If you put an active SIM card in the slot and go to the Connections menu you should be able to select the SIM card as the data source.

In the UK there is an embedded SIM but once you put a third party SIM in and select the SIM as the data connection, it disables the eSIM.

Once this is done, the MMI and Google Earth maps will use your SIM.....and all myAudi functionality still works. Also means you can use the car as a WIFI hotspot. Oh, and the car then also has its own phone number and you can choose the SIM as either primary or secondary phone.

It may be that this functionality is disabled in the US, but should be able to enable it via OBDeleven.
This certainly sounds promising, if OBDeleven does indeed offer the ability to make it happen. Is anyone able to comment from direct experience?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is from the owners manual
Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone else think the data connection with the eSIM (AT&T in the US) is slow? Like 3G slow. Not anywhere near LTE speeds. I want to test this out with another SIM. Say, if we can get apple watch service for $10/month can't we get something similar for our cars?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing
Does anyone else think the data connection with the eSIM (AT&T in the US) is slow? Like 3G slow. Not anywhere near LTE speeds. I want to test this out with another SIM. Say, if we can get apple watch service for $10/month can't we get something similar for our cars?
yes yes yes. It isn’t T-Mobile 3G slow (Audi’s partner before AT&T/LTE), but it’s definitely not as fast as my LTE on iPhone. Also, connecting to myAudi/AudiConnect to pull down addresses you’ve stored takes a significant amount of time. Far more than my ‘14 Q5 on 3G. I keep meaning to do a Speedtest to compare, across all the cars, but keep forgetting.

Quick Reply: SIM card slot