Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

siriusxm radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default siriusxm radio reception

I just got a 2018 A5 Cabriolet, and love it.
BUT, the reception for SiriusXm is not good - it cuts out really often, when driving under a few overhanging trees, around corners, sometimes out in the clear.
I've had 4 cars before with Sirius, and I expect it to cut out when going under an overpass, or in a tunnel, but this is everytime I drive it.
Anybody else have this problem?
Old 07-08-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by murphbmurph
I just got a 2018 A5 Cabriolet, and love it.
BUT, the reception for SiriusXm is not good - it cuts out really often, when driving under a few overhanging trees, around corners, sometimes out in the clear.
I've had 4 cars before with Sirius, and I expect it to cut out when going under an overpass, or in a tunnel, but this is everytime I drive it.
Anybody else have this problem?
Yes, yes and yes.

Never had the reception issues nearly as much in any of my recent Sirius/XM equipped cars (the last few of which were all different manufacturers—Jaguar, BMW (3), Nissan and VW) than that which I am having in my RS5. Sure, the usual cut-out areas—I expect that. But, this is different. My radio cuts out in places that appear to me to have little if any overhead interference.

So I brought up the issue with my service dept last week. “Found satellite radio operating as compared to similar known good vehicles” I was told. I raised the possibility of an antenna issue. “Located no related faults” I was also told. But, it ISN’T (normal)!

I get the RS5 brings more to the table than just satellite radio. But then, for me, a manuf is only as successful as its success in providing solid service support. We shall see how Audi steps up.

Last edited by deltagroup; 07-08-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: "Similar known good vehicles?" What Audi vehicles are those?
Old 07-08-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Droptops aren't going to have a roof antenna. This seems like it should be expected behavior.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

On the open expressway - no overpasses or any obstructions, I have had periods where every 20-30 minutes I'd get that 1 second of silence. On rare occasions, I can go 4 hours, and never have the issue. (Same business trip, same route - takes me 4 hours one way.) Since there wasn't any consistency to it, was wondering if it was more Sirius XM related vs. car - but now that you brought it up... hmmmm.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup. Same issue existed on my B8 S4 as well. Drives me nuts. I also had an XM equipped Altima years ago and never had this issue. I could go into an underground parking garage, and it would keep playing for a minute or more before it cut out!

Once the free trial runs out, I won't renew the subscription.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
Yup. Same issue existed on my B8 S4 as well. Drives me nuts. I also had an XM equipped Altima years ago and never had this issue. I could go into an underground parking garage, and it would keep playing for a minute or more before it cut out!

Once the free trial runs out, I won't renew the subscription.

My RSX Is equipped with very high end audio equipment and much like Chris, it would play for 30 seconds of signal blockage — but I believe that is due to the Sirius tuner “buffering” the signal within the head unit. My S5 suffers the same occasional 1 second or less signal cutout.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Could be the antenna (reception in iffy places). Could be the head unit (buffering issue). Wish I knew. I agree the lapses happen only occasionally/randomly and are only a second or two in duration when they occur. That said, what really bothers me is that when the lapses do occur, they usually come, not one random lapse at a time, but in a staccato-like burst of 3-6 lapses (haven't counted), similar to when I drive over a mountain pass where the satellite signal is vulnerable due to an obstructed path.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
... but I believe that is due to the Sirius tuner “buffering” the signal within the head unit ...
Yeah, that's what I remember about the Altima's receiver. It had a buffering capacity.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

It has buffering? It cuts in and out every time I go under an overpass.

Speaking of which, I just renewed for another 6 months for $30. Anyone able to get a lifetime deal like that?
Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
It has buffering? It cuts in and out every time I go under an overpass.

Speaking of which, I just renewed for another 6 months for $30. Anyone able to get a lifetime deal like that?
I always get that. It's been that way for years, but you have to ask for it. Just say you say a deal on the internet. If one person doesn't give it to you for that, hang up and call again.

Quick Reply: siriusxm radio reception