Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Small RS5 mod

Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that's not surprising considering NJ is at the bottom of the list of states when it comes to fiscal condition.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

If only we could split New Jersey into North Jersey and South Jersey! South Jersey would be so much better off fiscally. Or, maybe, NYC would like to annex North Jersey?

Can you tell where I live?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

That certainly looks better - but those reflectors serve a real purpose. The other day while driving on the highway at night I noticed a car in the middle lane who's tail lights were not working. It was a dark car and if it wasn't for those 2 reflectors he would have been nearly invisible. Now of course if your tail lights are working than this should never be an issue - that is until you park the car on the street and turn off the ignition.

Just be aware that your car is now harder for other drivers to spot and avoid.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

You'd be amazed how much those two tiny reflectors help your car be seen when you ever park on an unlit street. I personally don't think it's worth it.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be more likely to add reflectors than remove them. I can remember in the 50's reflective tape being added to chrome bumpers - made sense then as it still does now.

I absolutely fail to understand the logic of this mod. I don't even think it looks better. And, would there be an insurance issue if the car was hit from behind? Worse still, what if an injury or fatality resulted?

Sorry to be so negative, but I feel strongly about this and I'm just voicing my opinion FWIW.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
I'd be more likely to add reflectors than remove them. I can remember in the 50's reflective tape being added to chrome bumpers - made sense then as it still does now.

I absolutely fail to understand the logic of this mod. I don't even think it looks better. And, would there be an insurance issue if the car was hit from behind? Worse still, what if an injury or fatality resulted?

Sorry to be so negative, but I feel strongly about this and I'm just voicing my opinion FWIW.
The tail lights have some refectors as well. US DOT requires so many square inches of refectors. I am sure these were added for the law. Just like the euro models don’t have the extra blinker under the nice moving line like the US. They (US) require so many inches of red to be displayed in a blink. So many stupid laws. Just like the amber in the front headlight and Audi more or less reinvented the headlight with Laser LED ans we DON’T get those either. The law hasn’t caught up with LED technology yet. I don’t EVER street park so I am not worried about that.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, if the tail lights have do have reflectors, I might have to temper my response. I hope you are correct about this. I'd rather be wrong (as I am more often than I'd like) than think about the potential consequences of a reflector-less car.

I'll certainly check with my car tomorrow.

Edit: I went out and checked tonight. The ONLY reflectors on the rear of my car (apart from the mandatory reflective number-plate) are the ones that you covered up. My wife's car (2003 Ford) next to it does have reflectors in the tail lights. The Audi S5 does not. Now , it might be different in the US, but I suggest you check if your car is now devoid of reflectors from the rear. If so, please think about the potential consequences. Is your cosmetic tweak worth it?

(I guess a reflective licence plate might make it OK, but I'm not sure these are as effective at a real distance as the actual reflectors)

Last edited by Tony M; 07-21-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Someone stole everything you own in your garage!

I don't think I've ever see a garage with at least 2 complete walls of nothing. Nice paver driveway too.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

@Tony_M: That is a very clean garage, where is all your home/car maintenance stuff?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

I guess we think alike Trade_it_4_more, LOL?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small RS5 mod