Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Snow handling Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Pre-storm pic with some that fell yesterday.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
I've had mine a week, but it's winter, so, yeah, it's been snowing (blizzard going on right now). With the Hakkapalitas it's a beast, no problems, rock solid. Up here you can't get away from driving in winter weather, unless you hibernate for six months. While it's always dicey in bad conditions, in terms of risk from all sorts of things, in general folks up here understand how to do snow, and by now even the laggards have their snow tires on. The Audi is perhaps not _quite_ as solid in snow as my Golf R was, but the Golf was on 17" wheels too, which help.

In South Jersey we don’t usually see a lot of snow in any given winter. Consequently, many long-time South Jersey drivers do not have much real-world experience driving in frequent snow accumulations. And for that same reason these same drivers do not have snow tires — just the all season tires. Then add the drivers in jacked-up pickup trucks with massive mud tires who don’t realize that while that truck can go fast BUT it doesn’t stop any faster than any other vehicle! And ice is a great equalizer — without studs, nobody has control.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great pics and stories, keep 'em coming! Nemesis has some snow building up there yup, that's how I remember it! Have fun in it all (especially you wombat, from my old stomping grounds!)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had snow in DC last week, and my A5 cabrio was as solid as our 4Runner. Quattro was pretty impressive. I didn't take any pics, though. The worst part about the snow, though, is the damn salt!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by missmem
Had snow in DC last week, and my A5 cabrio was as solid as our 4Runner. Quattro was pretty impressive. I didn't take any pics, though. The worst part about the snow, though, is the damn salt!
My A6 was always(well, as long as I had good snow tires ) better in the snow than my Tundra, even with 4wd on and similar tread snow tires, it wasn't as solid feeling.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Attachment 101814
Name:  QDsTMtJ.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  110.1 KB
Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

In South Jersey we don’t usually see a lot of snow in any given winter. Consequently, many long-time South Jersey drivers do not have much real-world experience driving in frequent snow accumulations. And for that same reason these same drivers do not have snow tires — just the all season tires. Then add the drivers in jacked-up pickup trucks with massive mud tires who don’t realize that while that truck can go fast BUT it doesn’t stop any faster than any other vehicle! And ice is a great equalizer — without studs, nobody has control.
Ah yes, the old "I have a 4x4, the laws of physics do not apply, bro!" thing. You still get that up here occasionally, usually with new transplants or tourists. Most of the locals have figured out that mass, velocity, and vector doesn't magically become immaterial because you have all wheel drive.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yes, the old "I have a 4x4, the laws of physics do not apply, bro!" thing. You still get that up here occasionally, usually with new transplants or tourists. Most of the locals have figured out that mass, velocity, and vector doesn't magically become immaterial because you have all wheel drive.
My 4Runner will drive through almost anything... but it’s my least favourite vehicle for stopping, turning, and making time on an icy road. Despite studded Nokians...
Old 01-20-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, having driven in Vermont since back in the '73 timeframe, I've seen lots of people in jacked up 4x4's (typically huge suv's with out of state plates on) doing 65+ on 89 usually with black ice or just snow underneath and then would later see them in the ditch on a turn, or sometimes, trying to stop. Some made it off without rolling over, but often , when they hit that bank on the side, it was over. Always best even if you've driven in the snow for years, to go find an empty snow covered parking lot, and learn /relearn how your current vehicle/tires are able to handle stop/turning situations as each is different, and as tires wear, even those can change. And no, you don't need to be doing donuts to figure that out, but sometimes it's fun to pull a few of those off too.

Quick Reply: Snow handling Pictures