Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sport Suspension without adaptive capability acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Suspension without adaptive capability acceptable?

Looking for some feedback. I realize I have previously hinted to this issue in a previous thread, but I want to address it in a different way. I am considering purchasing a 2018 (Cabriolet) A5 Premier or S5 Premier but neither vehicle has an adaptive suspension. The A5 has the Sport Suspension and the S5 has its standard Sport Suspension (but not, as I said, the Sport Adaptive Damping Suspension). I will be using the vehicle for both local (everyday) and long-distance driving. I am interested in having a comfortable ride when traveling cross country (i.e. I prefer not to feel every bump in the road). Here is my question and I know it’s subjective but still looking for opinions: should I purchase either one of these vehicles under the assumption the one I purchase will be comfortable enough for long distance cross country drives even though I can’t really adjust the suspension to “comfort” since they don’t have the adaptive capability? Will either one be reasonably comfortable in the winter when the roads get filled with potholes? I will be test driving both vehicles but I am not sure I will be able to draw conclusions from the test drive regarding this so I thought I would ask those of you that have much longer experience driving your A5 or S5 cross country or on rough roads.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I would try to work with the dealer to see how they can get you as much seat time behind the wheel as needed for your decision. My daily driver rotates between a GMC 2500HD and my S5 (has the S-sport package). Since I can feel myself drive over a penny in the GMC, the S5 obviously feels drastically different. From my perspective, I like the S5 suspension on both local roads and on the road trips, as the S5 makes a lot of business trips in the 2 to 4 hours travel range.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I would try to work with the dealer to see how they can get you as much seat time behind the wheel as needed for your decision. My daily driver rotates between a GMC 2500HD and my S5 (has the S-sport package). Since I can feel myself drive over a penny in the GMC, the S5 obviously feels drastically different. From my perspective, I like the S5 suspension on both local roads and on the road trips, as the S5 makes a lot of business trips in the 2 to 4 hours travel range.
Thank you. With the S-sport package you have an adaptive suspension, so it is good to know that works for you. I probably should of done more research in this forum because after posting this thread I came across other threads that also address this issue. It seems like it's a mixed bag which is what one should expect since it's kind of a subjective issue. Your point about working with the dealer is a good one.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Not sure where in the country you’re located but in San Francisco Audi has a “rental” store setup where you can rent a variety of Audi’s for a day to weeks at a time. As I’m on the East Coast, it did not help me, but there are other agencies that rent “premium cars” as well. Doing that kind of internet search in your area may pay off.

Good Luck
Old 06-09-2018, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by sanfordrich
Looking for some feedback.
The cabriolets, both A5 and S5, have a more relaxed suspension than either the coupé or Sportback versions on a like for like basis. Regardless of whether it is fixed standard, fixed sport, Sport Adaptive, or S Sport Adaptive. The difference is significant IMO.

If your concerns stem from some occasional early posts suggesting the suspension is too stiff, and if these were not for the cabriolet, then ignore them. And in most cases, I suspect the cars are being run with rear tyre pressures as per the USA models' door sticker. Which is way too high. The cabriolet also runs the same shorter wheelbase as the coupé, the Sportback uses the same wheelbase as the A4. That makes a difference too.

If your primary concern is large potholes in winter, the suspension versions won't make that much difference on such extreme impacts. There is no difference in suspension travel on any of the A5 series models, regardless of suspension option, except the RS5, which is very slightly reduced. Get 18" rather than 19" wheels, at least for winter.

I would think a more fundamental decision would be whether you wanted an A5 or an S5 cabriolet, before drilling down to suspension versions within each one of those models? Try and drive some cabriolets if you can.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
The cabriolets, both A5 and S5, have a more relaxed suspension than either the coupé or Sportback versions on a like for like basis. Regardless of whether it is fixed standard, fixed sport, Sport Adaptive, or S Sport Adaptive. The difference is significant IMO.

If your concerns stem from some occasional early posts suggesting the suspension is too stiff, and if these were not for the cabriolet, then ignore them. And in most cases, I suspect the cars are being run with rear tyre pressures as per the USA models' door sticker. Which is way too high. The cabriolet also runs the same shorter wheelbase as the coupé, the Sportback uses the same wheelbase as the A4. That makes a difference too.

If your primary concern is large potholes in winter, the suspension versions won't make that much difference on such extreme impacts. There is no difference in suspension travel on any of the A5 series models, regardless of suspension option, except the RS5, which is very slightly reduced. Get 18" rather than 19" wheels, at least for winter.

I would think a more fundamental decision would be whether you wanted an A5 or an S5 cabriolet, before drilling down to suspension versions within each one of those models? Try and drive some cabriolets if you can.
Thank you for pointing out the differences between trims. I know very little about suspensions, so I appreciate all the advice I can get . I owned a BMW Z3 that made me nervous to drive when the backend would be skittish over rough roads and I hope to avoid that situation. I also hope any new, expensive Audi I happen to buy will handle in both a sporty and comfortable way. Just typing that makes me think "adaptive" suspension. I will be test driving both the A5 and S5 cabriolets and both have sport suspensions but not adaptive sport suspensions. I think I might be able to get a good deal on either one, but obviously it's not a good deal if I regret how they drive. Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Not sure where in the country you’re located but in San Francisco Audi has a “rental” store setup where you can rent a variety of Audi’s for a day to weeks at a time. As I’m on the East Coast, it did not help me, but there are other agencies that rent “premium cars” as well. Doing that kind of internet search in your area may pay off.

Good Luck
That's an excellent idea. I probably should do that.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for pointing out the differences between trims. I know very little about suspensions, so I appreciate all the advice I can get . I owned a BMW Z3 that made me nervous to drive when the backend would be skittish over rough roads and I hope to avoid that situation. I also hope any new, expensive Audi I happen to buy will handle in both a sporty and comfortable way. Just typing that makes me think "adaptive" suspension. I will be test driving both the A5 and S5 cabriolets and both have sport suspensions but not adaptive sport suspensions. I think I might be able to get a good deal on either one, but obviously it's not a good deal if I regret how they drive. Decisions, decisions.
If your benchmark is a BMW Z3 then I think you may be shocked at how well a B9 A5 or S5 cabriolet handles, rides and provides traction on rougher roads in any weather conditions, even with 19" wheels and sports suspension. Your issue, and decision, is whether you have a strong preference for the Comfort setting of adaptive suspension versus the fixed sport suspension. I ordered S adaptive suspension for both our Sportback and cabriolet not because I wanted a softer ride in Comfort, but because I found the fixed S suspension a little too soft in comparison to S adaptive suspension in Dynamic mode - less body roll.

Take a tyre pressure gauge with you when you go for a test drive, as the pressures and balance between front and rear have a fundamental effect. The S5 cabriolet on 255/35R19 should be 2.7 bar front, 2.4 bar rear (39 front/35 rear in psi) for summer tyres.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
If your benchmark is a BMW Z3 then I think you may be shocked at how well a B9 A5 or S5 cabriolet handles, rides and provides traction on rougher roads in any weather conditions, even with 19" wheels and sports suspension. Your issue, and decision, is whether you have a strong preference for the Comfort setting of adaptive suspension versus the fixed sport suspension. I ordered S adaptive suspension for both our Sportback and cabriolet not because I wanted a softer ride in Comfort, but because I found the fixed S suspension a little too soft in comparison to S adaptive suspension in Dynamic mode - less body roll.

Take a tyre pressure gauge with you when you go for a test drive, as the pressures and balance between front and rear have a fundamental effect. The S5 cabriolet on 255/35R19 should be 2.7 bar front, 2.4 bar rear (39 front/35 rear in psi) for summer tyres.
Thanks you for your feedback. You are correct, I am concerned about whether the fixed sport suspension in either an A5 or S5 Cabriolet will be comfortable enough for long cross country drives or rough roads. Therefore, it's interesting why you decided to get the adaptive suspension. Any insight into how the comfort setting of the adaptive suspension on your S5 Cabriolet compares to the fixed sport suspension of a A5 or S5 Cabriolet. Or maybe just having the adaptive suspension on "auto" gives one the best of both worlds when conditions warrant (i.e. comfort on long straight highways, more dynamic (less body roll) in the curves)? I was leaning toward the standard suspension if I get an A5 Cabriolet and the adaptive sport suspension if I get an S5 Cabriolet. However, it sounds like maybe I would be comfortable enough with the sport suspension on the A5 Cabriolet (if I go with an A5). The A5 and S5 Cabriolets I'm test driving tomorrow have the sport suspension, but not adaptive.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks you for your feedback. You are correct, I am concerned about whether the fixed sport suspension in either an A5 or S5 Cabriolet will be comfortable enough for long cross country drives or rough roads. Therefore, it's interesting why you decided to get the adaptive suspension. Any insight into how the comfort setting of the adaptive suspension on your S5 Cabriolet compares to the fixed sport suspension of a A5 or S5 Cabriolet. Or maybe just having the adaptive suspension on "auto" gives one the best of both worlds when conditions warrant (i.e. comfort on long straight highways, more dynamic (less body roll) in the curves)? I was leaning toward the standard suspension if I get an A5 Cabriolet and the adaptive sport suspension if I get an S5 Cabriolet. However, it sounds like maybe I would be comfortable enough with the sport suspension on the A5 Cabriolet (if I go with an A5). The A5 and S5 Cabriolets I'm test driving tomorrow have the sport suspension, but not adaptive.
No, I have only driven S5 version cabriolets, and they all had S adaptive suspension. I don't use Auto, but that's just personal preference as many do and like it. I use Individual mode where I have the suspension set to Comfort, with most other settings left on Dynamic, if I am looking for a softer ride.

I have driven an A5 Sportback with fixed Sport suspension, and it felt a little more compliant than my S5 Sportback in Comfort mode - not much in it. Both on 19" wheels. So tomorrow the A5 cab may give you a vague sense of what an S5 cab would be like on Comfort.

As I said, just make sure you know what the pressures are on both cars. And don't forget that with Audi, the engine/transmissions D and S modes can be independent of the Drive modes, and the car will always start up in D mode. You just need to pull back on the transmission lever to change modes, and take note of which mode you are in via the dash display.

There is quite a difference between the A5 and S5 in terms of the delta between D and S, so you should explore that. Also the A5 is using a dual sequential transmission whilst the S5 is using a torque converter, although many will not notice much difference. The A5 is very quiet and refined, and doesn't change its character much regardless of what settings you use. The S5 does change its character more between the softer and more harder edged settings - so that could well prove a factor as well. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Sport Suspension without adaptive capability acceptable?