Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sportback Timeline & Pricing for US

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both good choices. Shop it hard enough and you'll certainly find a deal.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How long of a delay is the "re-flashed" process? Any guesstimates?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greedo
How long of a delay is the "re-flashed" process? Any guesstimates?
Probably pretty quick once the software is ready. But who knows if they've even fixed and thoroughly tested the software. That's where the big delay could be.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would think the software possibility would be suspect, no? Given they just released the S5 coupe a few weeks ago? Not sure why the software would be much different form the A5 they also just released.....
Old 04-28-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Greedo
I would think the software possibility would be suspect, no? Given they just released the S5 coupe a few weeks ago? Not sure why the software would be much different form the A5 they also just released.....
That and the S5 SB has been in the EU market for over a year. My sales rep said the car was being held waiting on "EPA approval"... I'm not sure the sales guys / dealers really know exactly what's going on with the delay.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Put money down today on an S5 Sportback Prestige being held up at Jacksonville. They provided no detail other than that and some hope it would reach Atlanta in a few weeks.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tonyuf
That and the S5 SB has been in the EU market for over a year. My sales rep said the car was being held waiting on "EPA approval"... I'm not sure the sales guys / dealers really know exactly what's going on with the delay.
Yeah, I would agree. I have spoken to several and no information. One of them told me "Audi is a trip, dude" ... which was probably the most frank response.

Looking forward to getting mine, but frustrated that it has been sitting at port since early April.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tonyuf
The B9 S5 Sportback began shipping in Europe only a few weeks ago. There was a B8 A/S5 Sportback there for years.

As far as the holdup, I don't think anyone really knows the real reasons except for a few people at Audi. It may be an EPA thing, but that's gotten to be the go-to excuse for any port delays recently. The S5 Sportback delay could be EPA-related (although with the S4 and S5 Coupe passing EPA tests, it doesn't make much sense to me), it could be some software thing related specifically to that model, or it could be Audi wanting to delay introduction for some marketing purpose.

The release of the new Panamera was delayed for at least three months, and dealers never got a clear answer as to why. There was a lot of speculation that the EPA was delaying VW product introductions punitively because the diesel-gate scandal made them look bad. ??
Old 04-29-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would think this is Audi's decision. Dealer has confirmed the cars have passed customs. Also confirmed that while there was a software issue related to the S5, it has been addressed, hence the coupe was released. Could be dealer doesn't know, and is just stalling, but I doubt it, as an "EPA-related" excuse is more legit than "car is just sitting there."

Only real thing that makes sense is the typical delay associated with rolling out the A-series first.... If so, car should be released, I would think, in the next week or so. Granted, there aren't many S5 SBs on U.S. shores yet, so I don't exactly think it would be a problem to release what they have (since most seem to be pre-purchased, and the car is "live" on the web site), but who knows. Why they would send cars ahead in small numbers and then just have them sit in port does not make a lot of sense under pretty much any scenario.