Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sportback Trunk/Boot for the Win

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I now have a 55" TV in my basement by the pool table... totally un-necessary since we never use it
Old 04-12-2019, 04:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
What do you guys do with your old TVs, I upgrade my TV so often that all my friends and relative already have most of my used TVs. Now I want to upgrade my living room TV to a LG OLED and cannot figure out what to do with the 3 year old 62" Samsung that is up there now. Problems......Problems.........
Donate it to Habitat For Humanity or Purple Heart — and take the tax deduction.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Donate it to Habitat For Humanity or Purple Heart — and take the tax deduction.
That wont work under Trump's new tax law.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:11 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Scrap the last thought then and just donate if you want. Better than having it end up in a dump in Jersey.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I was able to claim charitable deductions for 2018, but I guess you can no longer itemize under the current law?

The funny thing is that I tried to donate TV to charity locally, but they have such a surplus of TVs that they will only accept TVs less than three years old. I had to wait until my city had a free electronics disposal day and then brought it there.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

The X950G is pretty slick for the price. It’s basically the Z9F, but with only 120 zones vs. 600 zones, but you save at least $1k. Definitely an upgrade over my Samsung last year of no HDR model it’s replacing. I need to upgrade my AVR next, because sadly it doesn’t support HDCP 2.2. I’m between a NAD and ARCAM at the moment, but trying to wait for HDMI 2.1 to release, so I don’t have to really worry much about future changes.
I have a 65" Sony x930e, which is somewhat similar to the 950g, and is a very good TV. However, I think I may buy an OLED when this year's new Sony model is released and move the x930e downstairs. If you are looking for a high-end AVR, consider Anthem, though you will definitely have to wait for HDMI 2.1. I was planning on buying new speakers and AVR this spring, but then I bought the S5 instead.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys do with your old TVs, I upgrade my TV so often that all my friends and relative already have most of my used TVs. Now I want to upgrade my living room TV to a LG OLED and cannot figure out what to do with the 3 year old 62" Samsung that is up there now. Problems......Problems.........
Get it on a freebie listings site. TV's go really quickly.

Side note: Yes LG/Sony OLED is the way to go Not wanting to take anything away from these great XBRs of course....
Old 04-12-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
The funny thing is that I tried to donate TV to charity locally, but they have such a surplus of TVs that they will only accept TVs less than three years old. I had to wait until my city had a free electronics disposal day and then brought it there.
That is rich, charities turning down donations. These model day TVs are the only thing I know that depreciates faster than my S5
Old 04-12-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I was gonna do the same thing with the same tv, but then I bought the 75" so I had to strap it to the roof rack of the Q5 with my surfboard straps... Thankfully best buy is a mile from my house on 30mph roads.
When Costco was running deals on 75" tv's last Thanksgiving, I gave thanks that our other car is an F-150. And the box was still so large that I had to leave the tailgate down.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
nice👍🏽

My ocd wants to peel off your blue protective film stuff. 😂
Same here, but my PPF installer made a good point. Why not just keep it there until it starts looking bad and then peel it off. Gives me some protection from scuffing up the lip for a while,

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I was gonna do the same thing with the same tv, but then I bought the 75" so I had to strap it to the roof rack of the Q5 with my surfboard straps... Thankfully best buy is a mile from my house on 30mph roads.
Whoa, I would have liked to see that driving down the road! If the tv hadn’t of fit the A5, the Q5 was going to have to do - but I would have had to wait until late evening, because my wife had something after work. I managed it and even got it up on the wall by myself, which took a few attempts

i rotate/upgrade others. The old living room tv will be moving to the master and the master to the office, the office to the sunroom, etc.

Originally Posted by JD15
I have a 65" Sony x930e, which is somewhat similar to the 950g, and is a very good TV. However, I think I may buy an OLED when this year's new Sony model is released and move the x930e downstairs. If you are looking for a high-end AVR, consider Anthem, though you will definitely have to wait for HDMI 2.1. I was planning on buying new speakers and AVR this spring, but then I bought the S5 instead.
Very nice tv. I though about OLED, but didn’t want to spend the money for a relatively first or may second gen one, plus the burn-in issues exist, like the Plasma days of old (I went with a DLP back then). If I had to guess, my next one in 5 years will be OLED though. I’ve heard of Anthem and they are great. I need to step up, out of a Denon 5200w, and into a good avr/amp, to power my 5.1.2, plus bi-amp’d B&W CM9 fronts. I’m not wanting to spend the coin on separates at this point. NAD is pretty awesome, because they have a modular design, so you can swap out cards when technology inevitably changes. I’m just trying to wait until the new amp with hdmi 2.1 drops, so I don’t have to go spend another $300 on the module (not that 2.1 is really going to be needed for years), but I can wait.