Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Squeaky Brakes

Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

Yesterday I hand washed my '19 S5 SB in the AM (with car wash soap) and all day while driving around the brakes squeaked on initial application. When I pushed down harder on the brake pedal it would stop. The car has 2k total miles on it, any thoughts? Maybe some soap got in between the pads and rotors? I called the dealership and they said they would look at it but also muttered something about German cars and high iron content in the brakes. I drive around in the Individual driving mode with Eng/Trans in Auto, everything else in Dynamic. TIA
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the multiple Audi's I had, breaks usually always squeak when cold/first start driving around for the day. Just how the breaks are.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My S6 I got rid of last year had horribly squeaky brakes when it was cold. My RS has been good so far even though i got it in February. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I left my house today they weren't squeaking. After driving around in S mode they were making noise again when I got back closer to home.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Yup. I get it too when it is cold. VERY annoying.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Most Audis I have owned have had squeeky brakes during certain temps and conditions. You may have some residue from washing but it shouldn't last long.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

So after driving around the last couple days the squeaking sound is gone in both D and S modes - I'm guessing some soap got into the brakes and was causing the issue.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have had multiple Audi's with squeaking brakes. Another thing I have noticed after washing, and then allowing the car to sit, is that a slight film of rust will form and that will account for the squeak for a day or two.

awaiting arrival of RS5 SB
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got my '19 SB back from the dealer two days ago after taking it in for the squeaking brakes. Mine were squeaking at every stop no matter how long the car had sat or been driven. They took the wheels off, examined the rotors and pads and everything was in spec. They test drove it too and said there are no safety concerns. The tech told me it's normal for them to squeak and "they all do it". He also told me he worked at BMW and all of their cars do it too. I told him I have a friend with a 5 series and his brakes don't squeak and he changed his tune and said "well, not all of them". Long story short they are refusing to do anything about it. The car has 3300 miles on it. I told him it's insane to spend what I spent on this car to have it sound like a 20 year old beater when I come to a stop. He agreed but his hands are tied. He did suggest going out and doing some ABS stops (3 hard stops from 50 mph to 0 with 2 minutes of driving in between for cooling). That's supposed to burn off any residue on the pads.

I was starting to wonder if it's the car wash soap I was using (Armor All Wash and Wax) as I would use it to wash the wheels as well and some of the soap probably got on the rotors/pads. I'm happy to report after the hard stops the squeaking has gone away for the most part. Lesson learned for me - I'm getting some wheel cleaner for the wheels and avoiding getting any car wash soap, tire shine, etc anywhere near the rotors. Fingers crossed my issue is resolved.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Lesson #2: Your tech is a bald-faced liar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes