Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

STEK DYNOShield - Modesta BC-04 - SunTek CIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmiller1001
I'm from Houston and used Vive several times for tint and Xpel protection film, they are a top notch shop.
Yeah they don't seem to carry XPEL anymore they use SunTek and STEK for PPF. STEK is there more expensive film. I was impressed with how clear the film is. Apparently STEK is a Korean company that has been doing PPF for a while but just recently started to break into the US market.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Dunno about ceramic coating but I went with Suntek PPF and Suntek CIR (sides, rear, and windshield), Executive Tint over on Hillcroft did an excellent job. The full hood film was a custom one piece job wrapped around the edges.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Dunno about ceramic coating but I went with Suntek PPF and Suntek CIR (sides, rear, and windshield), Executive Tint over on Hillcroft did an excellent job. The full hood film was a custom one piece job wrapped around the edges.
Do you notice a difference in the amount of heat that enters the car? Also do you have any up close pics? Does the tint go to the edge of the window? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
So I was doing a lot of research and quote comparing on auto detail shops here in Houston. I came across Vive Auto Detailing.
They specialize in STEK for Paint Protection Film, Modesta for ceramic coating and SunTek CIR for ceramic window tint.

Does anyone have any experience with these brands?

Originally I was leaning towards XPEL for both PPF and Tint and Ceramic Pro for the ceramic coating. I was impressed by the clarity of the STEK DYnoShield and the wetness of the Modesta BC-04. I was also impressed by the shop.
I had mine covered with SunTek, full front, side mirrors, a-pillars and trunk lip, back in September. It’s held up well and I like it. You can’t see it and there is no orange peel affect.

In regards to ceramic, I got it done last week at the same shop as the PPF, using GTechniq. The paint job is now as smooth as butter on a nice Texas spring day and super glossy. I also had the front windshield tinted at the same time with XPEL ceramic 80%. When it gets warmer here in Dallas, I’ll know if it was worth the money, but at the very least I like how it just slightly darkens the windshield from an ascetics perspective
Old 01-03-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Do you notice a difference in the amount of heat that enters the car? Also do you have any up close pics? Does the tint go to the edge of the window? Thanks!
It is very rare that I leave my car out in the sun for extended periods of time as I park in a garage at work. But the times that I have had to leave it out in the summer for more than an hour, I did think it made a difference. The tint doesn't go all the way to the edge, but the edge on the top tucks inside and the side edge overlaps the B-pillar seals so you cant really tell.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STEK has the best film on the market at the moment.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
It is very rare that I leave my car out in the sun for extended periods of time as I park in a garage at work. But the times that I have had to leave it out in the summer for more than an hour, I did think it made a difference. The tint doesn't go all the way to the edge, but the edge on the top tucks inside and the side edge overlaps the B-pillar seals so you cant really tell.
Thanks for the pic and the info. It's strange to me that the tint wouldn't go all the way to the edge with the windows being frameless. All they would have to do is overcut the piece for the windows and just trim the excess. I've seen some that go all the way to the edge and some that don't. I guess it just depends on the shop.

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon
STEK has the best film on the market at the moment.
That's what I'm reading. Even shops that don't carry it know about it. The consensus seems to be that the film is very nice but STEK is new to the market and people want to see how well it ages.

Last edited by evanseric21; 01-03-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by barrylhorsey
I used Gtechniq EXOv3, Crystal Serum Light on my wife's BMW X4. It took two days to apply it myself, but the results were good. That is prepping the vehicle and applying the serum light than the EXO. I use the Gtechniq Quick Detailer After Wash Cleaner Spray to keep it touched up. Plan to use it on my 2019 S5 Sportback. A lot cheaper than getting it professionally applied.
I thought I replied to you, my apologies. Gtechniq is a really good consumer grade product from everything I've read. I just don't know if I trust myself to apply it correctly. Paying the shop is definitely more costly but then I don't have to worry about waxing or polishing my car for the 4-5 years I plan on owning it. It will also make more care a lot easier to wash by hand which is something I enjoy doing. I also don't believe the consumer grade products such as Gtechniq have the same amount of gloss and protection that you get from something like Modesta or Ceramic Pro. Modesta for instance needs infrared thermal curing.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

If one does a full wrap with STEK DYNOshield, is there any reason to apply a ceramic coating on top of the film? I head of some people doing this but it looks like a lot, if not all, of the characteristics / benefits you get from using a ceramic coating are already provided by the wrap such as gloss / shine, protection (dirt, chemicals, UV, etc.), hydrophobic properties (easier to wash / rinse) and scratch resistance. Plus the wrap can self heal to a point.

I could see utilizing a ceramic coating on the wheels though.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thanks for the pic and the info. It's strange to me that the tint wouldn't go all the way to the edge with the windows being frameless. All they would have to do is overcut the piece for the windows and just trim the excess. I've seen some that go all the way to the edge and some that don't. I guess it just depends on the shop.

The shop that did my Xpel tint went edge-to-edge on all the windows — fixed and moving. That was one of the questions I asked during the initial interview.

Quick Reply: STEK DYNOShield - Modesta BC-04 - SunTek CIR