Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Stock summer tires in light snow ?

Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Here's a good article about why to avoid driving summer tires in cold weather. Basically, they may crack and become worthless...
I have a MY2019 in port with summer tires, the dealer will be putting on my winter tires for me, but I'll be sure to check the dismounted summer tires for cracks as the car will have been driven around lots and what not in cold temperatures...
Old 11-29-2018, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by garberfc
I plan on using winter tires in the winter, but how should I store my summer tires to avoid micro cracks? Never heard of this before...
Doing some searching I found my answer:

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A similar video:

Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on using winter tires in the winter, but how should I store my summer tires to avoid micro cracks? Never heard of this before...
Here are some recommendations from Michelin on how to properly store tires. Hope this helps.

https://thetiredigest.michelin.com/e...res-not-in-use

Old 11-29-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JBA5SB
Here are some recommendations from Michelin on how to properly store tires. Hope this helps.

https://thetiredigest.michelin.com/e...res-not-in-use
Perfect! Thank you!!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Contrary to Michelin's recommendations, I have always stored my mounted tires upright because the closet I store them in is not tall enough for them to be stacked. This has never caused a problem, but I guess I should be sent straight to prison. I even have driven with summer tires below 40F on a cold Texas morning (yes, I know some people here comically recommend snow tires for Dallas).

Last edited by JD15; 11-29-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I almost caused a major accident trying to stop in light snow snow on summer tires - years ago, first audi, didnt know they would be that bad.

Driving like 10mph being SUPER careful probably 2in on the road, went to brake at a stop sign probably 50+ feet away, flat ground maybe slight decline, brakes engage, ABS working, car does not slow down at all. At the stop sign and past the road inclined and stopped me feet away from a full head on collision in the opposite lane of the road I was approaching.

Never drove that car again when there was even a hint of snow coming - had to leave work early a couple times due to the restriction even though work was like 3 miles from home at the time.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I almost caused a major accident trying to stop in light snow snow on summer tires - years ago, first audi, didnt know they would be that bad.

Driving like 10mph being SUPER careful probably 2in on the road, went to brake at a stop sign probably 50+ feet away, flat ground maybe slight decline, brakes engage, ABS working, car does not slow down at all. At the stop sign and past the road inclined and stopped me feet away from a full head on collision in the opposite lane of the road I was approaching.

Never drove that car again when there was even a hint of snow coming - had to leave work early a couple times due to the restriction even though work was like 3 miles from home at the time.
That IS scary. It sounds more like there was a coat of ice under that snow. When there's ice, there's pretty much zero control...
Old 11-29-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That IS scary. It sounds more like there was a coat of ice under that snow. When there's ice, there's pretty much zero control...
You are right! Worst driving condition in the winter in my opinion is not when there is a lot of snow but rather when there is little of it but with low temperatures. Traffic melts the snow here and there, and it refreezes after into ice. Sometimes black ice which is the worst because you can't see it.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The snow was on the more wet side, so it formed a hardpack under the tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock summer tires in light snow ?