Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Stock summer tires in light snow ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Contrary to Michelin's recommendations, I have always stored my mounted tires upright because the closet I store them in is not tall enough for them to be stacked. This has never caused a problem, but I guess I should be sent straight to prison. I even have driven with summer tires below 40F on a cold Texas morning (yes, I know some people here comically recommend snow tires for Dallas).
Will be running the summer conti's all winter long here in Dallas. No concern and if it snows or bitter cold (like 1-2 days a year) -- I'm not getting out and driving it in anyway. Specially since AllState reports Dallas at 178 of 200 in the "safest" cities to drive in during rain & snow. https://www.allstate.com/tr/americas-best-drivers.aspx
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Will be running the summer conti's all winter long here in Dallas. No concern and if it snows or bitter cold (like 1-2 days a year) -- I'm not getting out and driving it in anyway. Specially since AllState reports Dallas at 178 of 200 in the "safest" cities to drive in during rain & snow. https://www.allstate.com/tr/americas-best-drivers.aspx
The problem I have with that rating is that we're not #200. Both my morning and evenings commutes last night were slowed by accidents on 75.

Anyway, I still have a set of 18" wheels with AS tires that I will switch to later next month, so I will be prepared if there is a winter storm.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
The problem I have with that rating is that we're not #200. Both my morning and evenings commutes last night were slowed by accidents on 75.

Anyway, I still have a set of 18" wheels with AS tires that I will switch to later next month, so I will be prepared if there is a winter storm.
yes- over the last 10 years 75 has become HORRENDOUS. Luckily I live near Whiterock and work downtown, so I can take surface roads if I want. The wife would love for us to move to the burbs, like Murphy...really dreading that day and having to deal with 75 and outer loop living!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

yes- over the last 10 years 75 has become HORRENDOUS. Luckily I live near Whiterock and work downtown, so I can take surface roads if I want. The wife would love for us to move to the burbs, like Murphy...really dreading that day and having to deal with 75 and outer loop living!
I live in Allen and work at the Richardson/North Dallas border. Needless to say, if there is significant snow or ice on the ground, I'm working from home.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive in Toronto and i have been caught on cold temperatures with summer tires on my X5. If the conditions are completely dry you can still manage on slow speeds but the moment there is a little snow and ice you should not drive. Considering your case i will not bet on it and choose to use other car.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Wasn't their a post about a guy who drove with summer tires in light snow and slid into a curb and totaled his one day old Audi?
Yep. I'm glad I swapped over the Michelin Pilot sport AS 3+ a year ago.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25109598
Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
This video probably answered my question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atayHQYqA3g
This video needs to be pinned to the top of the forum until Spring arrives. It's difficult to describe just how badly summer tires perform on snow, but if it's as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, then this video is worth a million. Now just imagine these same tests being performed with other cares on the road. It's downright terrifying.

I think most Americans who live in that area north if the sunbelt but south of the snowbelt have gotten so used to the performance of All Season tires that they (we) just sort of take for granted and assume that any modern car will be able to handle a small bit of winter weather. And if the car was equipped with AS tires that would be true. But Summer Performance tires are not All Season tires, not even close. They are specifically designed to maximize grip during the hottest road conditions, and to achieve that level of grip they are built in a way that makes them downright dangerous in the cold.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
What if I told you there was a simple modification you could make on your expensive car that would dramatically improve acceleration, braking and handling when the roads are snow covered and would provide modest performance gains in those same areas when the roads were clear. Now what if I told you that this modification would only cost around $1000 and would require about 30 minutes of your time twice a year. Would you go for it?

I know I would. That's why I run Summer performance tires for 8 months and Winter tires for 4.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
Not sure if this video has been posted on any of the tire threads, but but a nice test / review of AS vs Winter tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1E2eDt1JY
yes, it is on post #13 on this thread.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

yes, it is on post #13 on this thread.
(uuggh) that was bad. post deleted. Thanks

Quick Reply: Stock summer tires in light snow ?